Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Noah » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The fact of the matter is that Kai did just fine on TV, and that's empirically provable, meaning that merchandise sales essentially had to be the reason for the initial cancellation.
It wasn't because the 2011 Japan Earthquake?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Noah wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The fact of the matter is that Kai did just fine on TV, and that's empirically provable, meaning that merchandise sales essentially had to be the reason for the initial cancellation.
The earthquake prevented the final episode from airing due to resulting scheduling conflicts, but had nothing to do with the cancellation as a whole.
Retired.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Didn't want to look like I was spamming the Guru Guru topic so I'll do it here:

In the 1996 Guru Guru movie the plot is about a wish-granting pickle. That's not the funny part. The funny part is the dragon's reaction when he grants Nike's stupid wish:

Now I know this is likely to happen in the Abridged series than in Super, but wouldn't Shenlong be happy to finally grant something stupid for a change instead of the usual resurrection wish everybody makes him do?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:20 am

Does anyone remember in what movie/filler Turtle fights someone?

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:37 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Now I know this is likely to happen in the Abridged series than in Super, but wouldn't Shenlong be happy to finally grant something stupid for a change instead of the usual resurrection wish everybody makes him do?
Doesn't Oolong's wish for a girl's panties count as a stupid wish? I think it doesn't really get any more stupid than that.
What kind of stupid shit did this Nike person wish for?

EDIT:
Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:Does anyone remember in what movie/filler Turtle fights someone?
Yeah, it's one of those Garlic jr. filler episodes. The turtle straight up defeats several grown men easily, which is funny because the Anime gave him a power level of 0.001 too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 pm

DBZ Macky wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Now I know this is likely to happen in the Abridged series than in Super, but wouldn't Shenlong be happy to finally grant something stupid for a change instead of the usual resurrection wish everybody makes him do?
Doesn't Oolong's wish for a girl's panties count as a stupid wish? I think it doesn't really get any more stupid than that.
What kind of stupid shit did this Nike person wish for?
But that was the first wish in his new career and when it was a gag series. After that they were all serious stuff and mostly resurrection wishes.

As for NIke's wish:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Noah wrote:
No, though I do remember hearing Kai was delayed for a while because of it, as the episode was the final Kamehameha clash which had lots of earthquakes

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 am

What kind of books do you guys think Gohan reads?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:18 am

ekrolo2 wrote:What kind of books do you guys think Gohan reads?
Plato's "Republic", over and over. Oh, and he has a "tech for dummies" manual for when his car's on the fritz, but he's never opened it, since he and his family can fly and all.
Retired.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Check the scene in EoZ (anime at least) where Trunks visits Gohan. There was some Darwin in there, I remember that much.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:43 pm

He seems to be quiet and behaved, but I think he enjoy reading erotic romances.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Come on, movie 1 gave us a prime example of what he reads. Psh. :)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Come on, movie 1 gave us a prime example of what he reads. Psh. :)
It did?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Totally did. He reads about bugs and stuff.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:36 pm

How often does Piccolo pick up his turban and cape after he has thrown them to the side? I'm imagining the world just riddled with random pieces of Piccolo's clothing on the ground. No average person capable of even lifting them.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Do people believe Pan went Super Saiyan during the God ritual?
Personally, I don't, because I never got that impression. Neither the original movie nor the manga show anything that would imply that she did, and it was never said that you have to be Super Saiyan in order to partake in the ritual. The anime's version of the ritual could be interpreted as her transforming (the ritual starting with her causing the golden glow and all), though. I can understand the view based on that, even if I don't "see it that way".
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:52 pm

You know what I'd like? A true no BS bad guy to appear in the series. There's no boasting, no bravado, no code of honor, he just shows up at max power from the beginning and unrelentingly tries to kill the opposition.

Even the characters who're kind of shown as no nonsense like Hit are either kept at bay by outside rules or succumb to the whole "martial arts code of honor" stuff.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:You know what I'd like? A true no BS bad guy to appear in the series. There's no boasting, no bravado, no code of honor, he just shows up at max power from the beginning and unrelentingly tries to kill the opposition.

Even the characters who're kind of shown as no nonsense like Hit are either kept at bay by outside rules or succumb to the whole "martial arts code of honor" stuff.
That has happened, and it doesn't ever work. Think Potaufeu. Watagash was the least interesting character in Gohan's mini-arc. Pure Boo was another one, and he's probably the closest to what you mean, but he has the same failings as a villain, he's just boring.
Retired.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 am

Boo Machine wrote:How often does Piccolo pick up his turban and cape after he has thrown them to the side? I'm imagining the world just riddled with random pieces of Piccolo's clothing on the ground. No average person capable of even lifting them.
My guess would be he waits till everybody leaves and then goes and picks it up and if he dies he doesn't need to worry about.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 pm

I have a question that I didn't really want to start a new thread for, so... this is the logical place lol

Can we prove that Dragon Ball was written for children based on how it was written? I'm very slowly trying to learn Japanese -- I mean super slow (hey, I've got a ton of things on my plate). Based on what little research I did, kanji is used for nouns and adjectives. Kanji is really used by itself and the belief is that adults should know what it is (after all, children learn it in school), but there's an exception for children's books. Enter Dragon Ball, where it does in fact use kanji, but for every kanji character, there's a hiragana and katakana version next to it.

I guess what I'm asking is since I read that in Japan, kanji is used exclusively where applicable except in children's books, does the kanji being explained by hiragana and katakana prove that Dragon Ball is essentially a children's book? Or did I just misinterpret kanji's use and many things in Japan are written in this way?