Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:11 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:...when I first started watching anime "subtitled" was mostly always the way to go for me. Now though, if there's a option that I can watch the dub, I definitely opt for that.
It's not a matter of choosing a dub over subtitles, I don't actually want to make the switch. It's just that I literally can't read subtitles while there's any substantial movement in the background anymore. It has a similar effect to reading in a car, it makes me puke. The only medicine I have that helps makes me sleep all the time, to the point that I couldn't hold a job if I used it regularly.
Retired.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 am

Trying to get a confirmation here -- Did the Majin boost that Vegeta received which enabled him to match evenly against Goku leave his body once he sacrificed himself?

I ask this because when Vegeta is brought back into the story and they are battling Pure Buu, he - as SSJ2 - is taking a noticeably more one-sided beating from Buu as opposed to SSJ2 Goku, who can at least land some good shots and take some hits.

And I've already taken into consideration that Vegeta brought his A game when battling Goku for obvious reasons. I wasn't sure if Vegeta's motivation level for battle was a factor in each of these fights.

My exposure to DB has been through anime only, so I didn't know if there was something that was mentioned in the manga...

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 am

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Trying to get a confirmation here -- Did the Majin boost that Vegeta received which enabled him to match evenly against Goku leave his body once he sacrificed himself?

I ask this because when Vegeta is brought back into the story and they are battling Pure Buu, he - as SSJ2 - is taking a noticeably more one-sided beating from Buu as opposed to SSJ2 Goku, who can at least land some good shots and take some hits.

And I've already taken into consideration that Vegeta brought his A game when battling Goku for obvious reasons. I wasn't sure if Vegeta's motivation level for battle was a factor in each of these fights.

My exposure to DB has been through anime only, so I didn't know if there was something that was mentioned in the manga...
It's not specified in the manga, either. Just one of those things you'll have to headcanon if you really need an answer.
Retired.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:Trying to get a confirmation here -- Did the Majin boost that Vegeta received which enabled him to match evenly against Goku leave his body once he sacrificed himself?

In the manga, Goku never used Super Saiyan 2 against Pure Boo; the SSj2 part of the fight is anime-only/filler.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Khin wrote:

In the manga, Goku never used Super Saiyan 2 against Pure Boo; the SSj2 part of the fight is anime-only/filler.
Vegeta also got his potential unlocked, him being "Majin" was nothing but a visual way to show he was Babidi's pawn but the power up was a separate thing entirely that stuck around.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Was there a way to the old SSJ forms to be back in the show in a way that wouldn't mess the power scale?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Noah wrote:Was there a way to the old SSJ forms to be back in the show in a way that wouldn't mess the power scale?
Probably don't call Blue the SS equivalent to a Saiyan who has the power of an SSGod when that's what AALLLLLL of them are since Goku's power is always enhanced by SSGod (piss off with yer two base theory fellas, I'm not in the mood for snake oil anytime this century).

But even with this, the scaling is really bad for many other reasons besides the old SS forms coming back. KK coupled with the 10% line for Vegeta are infinitely more problematic.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Noah wrote:Was there a way to the old SSJ forms to be back in the show in a way that wouldn't mess the power scale?
Probably don't call Blue the SS equivalent to a Saiyan who has the power of an SSGod when that's what AALLLLLL of them are since Goku's power is always enhanced by SSGod (piss off with yer two base theory fellas, I'm not in the mood for snake oil anytime this century).

But even with this, the scaling is really bad for many other reasons besides the old SS forms coming back. KK coupled with the 10% line for Vegeta are infinitely more problematic.
The 10% line was so unnecessary. The anime really shot themselves in the foot with that line made by Beerus in relation to SSJ2 Raging Vegata's assault against him. It really makes the power scaling a nightmare in the Super anime because you then would have to go by the assumption that Raging SSJ2 Vegeta is as strong or stronger than a SSJG to make the SSJB/KKx10 moment work within the linearity that Goku is still below Beerus. It throws everything out of wack. You really have no other choice but to believe that Beerus was bullshitting. Which would be surprisingly in-character when you think about it.

I just chalk that down to Toei being Toei. As when it came to the new material of Super, Toriyama practically no-sold what happened in the movie re-tellings and did his own shit. And because of that, Toei had to do some major retreading.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 am

Anybody else here like BOTH Nadolny's and Clinkenbeard's takes on Gohan? I got into the franchise with the latter, but I've experienced way more material with the former. I usually like Clinkenbeard's take a lot more and, admittedly, crap on Nadolny's way more than I should. But, after rewatching the Z dub on my Orange Bricks, I've come to kinda rediscover the aspects that others like about her Gohan.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 am

Bansho64 wrote:Anybody else here like BOTH Nadolny's and Clinkenbeard's takes on Gohan? I got into the franchise with the latter, but I've experienced way more material with the former. I usually like Clinkenbeard's take a lot more and, admittedly, crap on Nadolny's way more than I should. But, after rewatching the Z dub on my Orange Bricks, I've come to kinda rediscover the aspects that others like about her Gohan.
I actually don't like either, funnily enough. Call me a party pooper.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I actually don't like either, funnily enough. Call me a party pooper.
Dang, not either of them? What do you feel that they both fail at and who's your favorite voice for the character?

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not specified in the manga, either. Just one of those things you'll have to headcanon if you really need an answer.
Khin wrote:In the manga, Goku never used Super Saiyan 2 against Pure Boo; the SSj2 part of the fight is anime-only/filler.
ekrolo2 wrote:Vegeta also got his potential unlocked, him being "Majin" was nothing but a visual way to show he was Babidi's pawn but the power up was a separate thing entirely that stuck around.
Going by the anime adaptation, Goku looks overwhelmingly more capable vs. Pure Buu. Vegeta -- even though he should be on the same level as Goku at SSJ2 -- looks near terrified of what's taking place before him. If Vegeta permanently retained the power increase from being branded earlier, the battle against Pure Buu loses some continuity here, and the storyboarder(s) botched it. Vegeta's reactions would have been more believable had it been during SSJ3 Goku vs. Pure Buu.

There could have easily been a way to still have Goku do what he did by finishing Buu off without having Vegeta look like King jobber again. Basically, the anime version went out of its way to show how much more awesome Goku was here in battle. Headcanon tells me that Vegeta didn't retain the power-up once he returned for it to make sense.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am

Bansho64 wrote:Dang, not either of them? What do you feel that they both fail at and who's your favorite voice for the character?
They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects. I don't think either are horrible or anything, they just aren't Gohan. As for my favorite... well, naturally, it has to be Nozawa. Even when I'm reading the manga, Gohan's inflections just match her performance so well.

(Hoping no one saw the deleted portion of the post where I confuse Gohan for #18)
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 am

They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects.
But other than the Saiyan arc, would you say Gohan is shy?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 am

ABED wrote:
They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects.
The Saiyan Arc is a part of the show, and I gave another reason that I don't care for their takes.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ABED wrote:
The Saiyan Arc is a part of the show, and I gave another reason that I don't care for their takes.
Yes, it is part of the show, but he grows up, so it's not a fundamental part of his character throughout the show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Anybody else here like BOTH Nadolny's and Clinkenbeard's takes on Gohan? I got into the franchise with the latter, but I've experienced way more material with the former. I usually like Clinkenbeard's take a lot more and, admittedly, crap on Nadolny's way more than I should. But, after rewatching the Z dub on my Orange Bricks, I've come to kinda rediscover the aspects that others like about her Gohan.
I thought you hated Nadolny's Gohan. Or it's just her Goku that you don't like?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects. I don't think either are horrible or anything, they just aren't Gohan. As for my favorite... well, naturally, it has to be Nozawa. Even when I'm reading the manga, Gohan's inflections just match her performance so well.

(Hoping no one saw the deleted portion of the post where I confuse Gohan for #18)
You probably should blame the voice director when it comes to the over-emoting. He tells the voice actors how to deliver their lines.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:28 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects. I don't think either are horrible or anything, they just aren't Gohan. As for my favorite... well, naturally, it has to be Nozawa. Even when I'm reading the manga, Gohan's inflections just match her performance so well.

You probably should blame the voice director when it comes to the over-emoting. He tells the voice actors how to deliver their lines.
I'm not particularly blaming anyone, just noting that I don't like the performances they gave.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: I thought you hated Nadolny's Gohan. Or it's just her Goku that you don't like?
Admittedly, I have said I hated both. Like I said earlier, it's her Gohan that I'm coming to like. Goku, I'm still not a fan of.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: They fail to capture the overall shyness of Gohan's character while over-emoting his aggressive aspects. I don't think either are horrible or anything, they just aren't Gohan. As for my favorite... well, naturally, it has to be Nozawa. Even when I'm reading the manga, Gohan's inflections just match her performance so well.

Well, I can understand the points you make and see where you're coming from. I personally still like em both along with Nozawa. Since you don't like Nadolny or Clinkenbeard's, I'd recommend you check out Saffron Henderson from the Ocean dub if you already haven't. Imo, she does a really great take on the character in the Saiyan and Namek arcs. Laura Torres from the LA Spanish dub is awesome as well.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:43 pm

What do people here think of Akira Kamiya's Garlic Jr? I honestly prefer him to Shigeru Chiba in the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.