Should I watch or buy DBGT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Re: Should I watch or buy DBGT

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Draconic wrote:If you have money and are willing to spend them, buy it if only for colection purposes. In terms of viewing, I'd say give it a shot. I went in it with low expectations and I can't say I was disappointed. I get the hate for it, but it can be a little overblown at times. The series is beautiful and tries a new artistic style and color palette that works for the most part, the story ideas are great and original and even though the execution is lacking, it's worth to actually see these concepts on the screen. However, the show does drag quite a bit, especially during the first two arcs. I've found myself on the verge of skipping some episodes due to how boring they were, but managed to pull trough and there are great moments spread troughout so it's worth keeping with it in the end. The music is great and the voice work is top notch, however some of the characterizations can be kinda annoying at times in spite of that. All in all, while I can't call the show good by any means, it's good points warrant it a watch, so you can form your own opinion.

All of that is in regard to the Japanese version, don't know about the dub, but from what I've seen on YT I'd avoid it, as it's not a good representation of the show.
Some where that boring? I would like to say hey I've watched GT and own it, it's just I never watched all of it.
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I'm insaneFromEarth wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:If you can access and watch Hulu, I'd recommend watching it that way before you decide to buy it. The entirety of GT TV (Japanese with Eng. subtitles.)

The series is inconsistent in terms of quality, but there's lots of good and bad in there. So YMMV. I do think GT worth watching for it's significance to the franchise overall.
I've heard that as well that it had some really good parts in it. So the Funi dub is that bad?
What I meant is that Hulu only streams GT in Japanese with subtitles. No dub unless you buy the DVDs or stream it from FUNimation's own site.
Oh, also I thought that they had an anime type of Neyflix around. Or I might be wrong

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:22 pm

Watch episodes 1-5, skip 6-15 then watch the rest.

It's not perfect by any means but if you skip those episodes then it's not that bad but you'll still notice some problems.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:..., I doubt the Japanese is much different.
The Japanese version is as different as possible. It is pretty much the best thing I have ever seen from Dragon Ball apart from the first manga volumes of the franchise and Zamas saga of Super.

The 5 seconds scene alone when Pan notices Goku is alive and sheds a tear ... this moment in the original ...

If someone can live with subtitles the Japanese version is recommended to watch. Or of course in case you understand Japanese you do not need them.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 pm

When I said, "not much different" in regards to the Japanese version, it was in reference to the specific issue I mentioned about key events, not the entire show. Just clarifying.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:When I said, "not much different" in regards to the Japanese version, it was in reference to the specific issue I mentioned about key events, not the entire show. Just clarifying.
The English text changes so much though. Both relevant and irrelevant. Of course it does not change anything about Kibitoshin existing and playing a role or old Pilaf gang playing a role or whatever. But since you mentioned versions I doubt you meant that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 pm

I would suggest to watch sub if you want to watch GT. I didn't like the show, but you may like it. GT's dub has really bad voice acting and the replacement music is pretty awful. The dub for GT reeks the mid 2000's just like In House DBZ dub reeks the late 90's in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would suggest to watch sub if you want to watch GT. I didn't like the show, but you may like it. GT's dub has really bad voice acting and the replacement music is pretty awful. The dub for GT reeks the mid 2000's just like In House DBZ dub reeks the late 90's in my opinion.
I give the GT Dub a 7/10 for integrity, a 4/10 for vocal performance. Which is well above what I give both the DB and Z Dubs.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Buy it, watch it, love it.

I won't claim the series is brilliant, and I've certainly become more sensitive to the idea it has boring stretches in comparison to my first, starry-eyed viewing of bootlegged episodes, but it's an interesting chapter in Dragon Ball's history, offers a stellar ending unlike anything Toriyama would write, and all in all is a fantastic example of a studio-helmed sequel being so much bolder and more artistically consistent than it needed to be. It isn't Toriyama's Dragon Ball, but it is very much someone's Dragon Ball, and that's as much as you can hope when the original author steps out.

It also has a great aesthetic identity that I think frankly makes up for most of its narrative shortcomings. It's a solid, sixty-four-episode epilogue to the original run of the anime.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 pm

Cipher wrote:Buy it, watch it, love it.

I won't claim the series is brilliant, and I've certainly become more sensitive to the idea it has boring stretches in comparison to my first, starry-eyed viewing of bootlegged episodes, but it's an interesting chapter in Dragon Ball's history, offers a stellar ending unlike anything Toriyama would write, and all in all is a fantastic example of a studio-helmed sequel being so much bolder and more artistically consistent than it needed to be. It isn't Toriyama's Dragon Ball, but it is very much someone's Dragon Ball, and that's as much as you can hope when the original author steps out.

It also has a great aesthetic identity that I think frankly makes up for most of its narrative shortcomings. It's a solid, sixty-four-episode epilogue to the original run of the anime.
I couldn't have said it better! The only thing I'd add is that the show looks beautiful. The artists got very creative with the environment, and the animation is on-point throughout.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I couldn't have said it better! The only thing I'd add is that the show looks beautiful. The artists got very creative with the environment, and the animation is on-point throughout.
I meant to wrap all that into its aesthetic identity. The color palette, the environments, the music, the character designs, etc. It all comes together seamlessly. It's very '90s, but I like that Dragon Ball's last chapter unintentionally begins to show the real world catching up. It fits the characters all being older and frumpier (can you believe a studio sequel dared to take that approach?), and where the final arc ends thematically. Even the locations begin to look more realistic — the city the final battle takes place in looks nothing like anything we've ever seen in Dragon World. Might be accidental, but it works.

The directing is a little self-consciously "cool" at points, but the result is we get some genuinely memorable images with their own iconography in the franchise. I'll take that. It never overrides the warm nostalgia the series oozes for previous portions of the franchise, while still very much doing its own thing.

And yeah, the artists go absolutely ham on the backgrounds with Toriyama gone. All the fights have visually interesting settings.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:56 pm

Cipher wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I couldn't have said it better! The only thing I'd add is that the show looks beautiful. The artists got very creative with the environment, and the animation is on-point throughout.
I meant to wrap all that into its aesthetic identity. The color palette, the environments, the music, the character designs, etc. It all comes together seamlessly. It's very '90s, but I like that Dragon Ball's last chapter unintentionally begins to show the real world catching up. It fits the characters all being older and frumpier (can you believe a studio sequel dared to take that approach?), and where the final arc ends thematically. Even the locations begin to look more realistic — the city the final battle takes place in looks nothing like anything we've ever seen in Dragon World. Might be accidental, but it works.

The directing is a little self-consciously "cool" at points, but the result is we get some genuinely memorable images with their own iconography in the franchise. I'll take that. It never overrides the warm nostalgia the series oozes for previous portions of the franchise, while still very much doing its own thing.

And yeah, the artists go absolutely ham on the backgrounds with Toriyama gone. All the fights have visually interesting settings.
I've said that if I could change one thing about DB Super, I'd have them explore other environments and planets. I'm a total sap for those kinds of things.

It's actually kind of annoying that they haven't taken any artistic risks. Back in the day, they had to mimic Toriyama, who drew simple backgrounds. But nowadays, they could do whatever they want, given that they aren't being bottlenecked by something (or someone). Granted, the story hasn't allowed for much yet. Hopefully we'll get a Planet Sadal arc, one that involves traveling to multiple planets. Then, if they have any creative ambition, they should be able to "wow" us.
Retired.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:57 am

I'm insaneFromEarth wrote:Some where that boring? I would like to say hey I've watched GT and own it, it's just I never watched all of it.
Yes they were, however don't get me wrong, I've had to drag myself trough some episodes of Dragon Ball/Z too and they weren't even the notorious Fake Namek or such filler episodes, so it's not something exclusive to GT specifically, it's just that since there are fewer episodes to it than the rest of the series' the amount of really boring episodes appears higher. If you only watch 2-3 episodes at a time it should be fine, you won't feel it, as I watched 10-12 at a time back when I was rewatching the whole series, so it was super hard to focus if something wasn't 100% exciting.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:32 am

Well, it has less plotholes than DBS, at least.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Just go into it as something Dragon Ball related. Don't go into it thinking that it's going to change your world or anything. My viewpoint was always that it has the characters that I know and love and it's the continuation of the story. I was never expecting "Gone With the Wind" from it. I think that it crumble under the pressure that fans put on it for continuing the story.

Why did we even discuss whether it was canon or not? Does it matter?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Just go into it as something Dragon Ball related. Don't go into it thinking that it's going to change your world or anything. My viewpoint was always that it has the characters that I know and love and it's the continuation of the story. I was never expecting "Gone With the Wind" from it. I think that it crumble under the pressure that fans put on it for continuing the story.

Why did we even discuss whether it was canon or not? Does it matter?
No, it doesn't matter. People use that phrase to write off GT as if it doesn't exist. In reality, it holds up much better than its predecessors, at least in a technical sense.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Despite my overall apathy for the show for obvious reasons (Black Star Dragon Ball arc, utilisation of cast, character designs, Super 17 arc), there are some great and unique concepts buried within GT (Super Saiyan 4, expansion on Tuffle lore, the Shadow Dragons). The final arc is actually quite good and the ending is just perfect. I think the show is worth at least one complete watch from beginning to end and if you have to money to spend, I'd buy the show. Even if it's just for collection purposes. You could really tell GT was a product of its time and that's quite frankly one of the more unique things about the show as a whole in all honestly. Avoid the FUNi dub, though. It will drastically hamper your enjoyment of the show. I really can't stress that enough. When I re-watched the show, I watched it in the original Japanese version and it was a far more tolerable experience.

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 am

Draconic wrote:
I'm insaneFromEarth wrote:Some where that boring? I would like to say hey I've watched GT and own it, it's just I never watched all of it.
Yes they were, however don't get me wrong, I've had to drag myself trough some episodes of Dragon Ball/Z too and they weren't even the notorious Fake Namek or such filler episodes, so it's not something exclusive to GT specifically, it's just that since there are fewer episodes to it than the rest of the series' the amount of really boring episodes appears higher. If you only watch 2-3 episodes at a time it should be fine, you won't feel it, as I watched 10-12 at a time back when I was rewatching the whole series, so it was super hard to focus if something wasn't 100% exciting.
Tell me about it, I love DBZ to death but a few episodes of Z I just can't watch. Lol I will have give it a try.

Im insaneFromEarth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Im insaneFromEarth » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Despite my overall apathy for the show for obvious reasons (Black Star Dragon Ball arc, utilisation of cast, character designs, Super 17 arc), there are some great and unique concepts buried within GT (Super Saiyan 4, expansion on Tuffle lore, the Shadow Dragons). The final arc is actually quite good and the ending is just perfect. I think the show is worth at least one complete watch from beginning to end and if you have to money to spend, I'd buy the show. Even if it's just for collection purposes. You could really tell GT was a product of its time and that's quite frankly one of the more unique things about the show as a whole in all honestly. Avoid the FUNi dub, though. It will drastically hamper your enjoyment of the show. I really can't stress that enough. When I re-watched the show, I watched it in the original Japanese version and it was a far more tolerable experience.

I will have to give this a try. But ya I'vve heard the dub is bad

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 am

GT is good from the Baby Saga on with a few stumbles here and there. Honestly I would say watch the series in Japanese just to hear "Dan, Dan" and the ending themes which are very very good. I mean if you care for that kind of stuff if not the Dub is good too but the soundtrack for it is just awful again if you care for that stuff. GT has a lot of great characters and concepts and it doesn't really all mesh well at times and I think that is part of the problem. It is worth checking out and I am sure you can check your local electronics store and find the green bricks for about $20 each. Plus SSJ4 is badass and you can never go wrong with that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:53 am

If you've seen both DB and DBZ, or read the manga, and/ or own them I'd say go for it. It's not a great series, but not a terrible one either, and at the end of the day it's more Dragon Ball :thumbup: .

I'd highly recommend the Japanese version, but if you really want to watch it dubbed I'd choose the track with the (beautiful) Japanese score, as the replacement score is dire.

And if you live in the U.S. the green bricks can be found really cheap, so look out for them especially if there is a Walmart near you.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: