Rank the dubs of each series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Rank the dubs of each series

Post by Sailor Haumea » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Here's the dub lists for reference.

Dragon Ball dubs:

Harmony Gold, BLT, Funi, Blue Water, Creative Product Corp

Dragon Ball movie dubs:

Harmony Gold, BLT, Funi, Speedy, AB Groupe (AKA Big Green)

DBZ dubs:

Creative Product Corp, Ocean, Funi, Westwood

DBZ movie dubs:

Creative Product Corp, Unknown Filipino dub (dubbed 10 & 11), Speedy, Ocean, Pioneer, Funi, AB Groupe

DBGT dubs:

Funi, Blue Water

DBGT special dubs:

Funi, AB Groupe

Rank the dubs of each series, in your opinion, from best to worst.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Rank the dubs of each series

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Personally, I think you should remove the Fillipino English dubs of Movies 10-11 and the Creative Product Corp dub of DB and DBZ from that list (Creative Product Corp Movies 5-6 can stay), as nobody has really saw them here AFAIK. In addition, the Big Green dubs of DB Movies 1-3 and the GT special, and the Malaysian dubs of the DB Movies and DBZ episodes should be given special consideration due to being either rare, incomplete, or both. Also, though being fanmade, I think DBZ Abridged and xXInfinite026Xx's dub of the Bardock special should be included as well for their high quality. The former isn't really aiming for faithfulness obviously, but on occasion is more faithful than the original Funi dub and is of excellent quality (While it is kind of amateurish during the Saiyan saga, it's almost of professional quality in the newest stuff, and in some bits I think the voice acting is better than Funi's dub of Kai.) As for the xXInfinite026Xx fandub of Bardock Father of Goku, I personally think it's the best English dub that special ever got.

That being said, the Blue Water dub of DB and some of the Big Green dubbed material both on occasion have nasty censorship in the form of the AB Groupe removing whole portions or sometimes scenes from the program, either for censorship or to hide Japanese text. These edits often have the consequence of making things harder to understand...

The Big Green dubs have several Franceisms, like the Dragon Balls being called Crystal Balls, Saiyans being called Space Warriors, attacks and characters not being named, misnamed, or given generic names... I'd say that Piccolo was renamed "Satan's Little Heart" but they actually kept Mr. Satan's name instead of calling him Hercule, so instead of giving Piccolo his real name, and instead of using the old French theme...he's called.....Big Green, hence why the dub is nicknamed that. And of course, sometimes the scripts are more faithful than Funi, sometimes less so... but either way, things are a lot less comprehensible than Funi. Acting is better than the earliest in house Funi material most of the time (DB Movies 2 and 3 and Season 3 of DBZ) but not as good as when Funi started dubbing the DBZ movies.

Harmony Gold's dub of Movies 1 & 3 handled censorship fairly well, and the voice acting is fairly decent, but to me it's unwatchable due to all the name changes.

The BLT dub of DB episodes 1-13 had voice acting on par with the Saban dub (it might be the best English dub of the first 13 episodes voice acting wise.) The music, while not as good as Kikuchi's or even Faulconer, was better than the Levi/Wasserman, Menza, and Johnson scores that Funi would be later be involved in. There is one nasty dub error in the form of a monologue Grandpa Gohan has during the first episode, a monologue he doesn't give in the original Japanese or the in-house Funi and Blue Water dubs. It's not just that he has a speech where there is silence in the other versions, the contents of the speech throw continuity right out the windows with the whole "I will always be with you" thing.

The Malaysian dub has horrible voice acting and its script is filled with Engrish, but the script is fairly faithful most of the time (The biggest examples of it not being faithful is Goku's "If I don't eat rice" line. Starting with Movie 9 and going on for Movie 10 (not sure about Movies 11 and 12) the dub switches from using Toei's English scripts with a M/E track to using the Cantonese script...and audio with no M/E track).

The Creative Product Corp's dubs of DBZ Movie 5-6 only exist in horrendous realmedia format, heavily compressed, so it's a lot harder to judge. Not 100% about the faithfulness though, but the terms are fairly close to the Japanese.

The Funi/Ocean/Saban dub had fairly decent acting, but cringeworthy lines, serious dub errors (Bardock the brilliant scientist and Vegeta killed Grandpa Gohan), and heavy censorship (the next dimension stuff wouldn't be so bad if they only used those exact words, never saying stuff like "a brand new dimension", "another dimension", etc). Also, didn't really care for Levi/Wasserman OST.

The Funi/Ocean/Pioneer dubs of DBZ Movies 1 and 2 were awesome. Excellent voice acting, accurate scripts. The biggest issue with them is the added sound effects, which was also something done with the Saban dub and something that continued to occur with the AB Groupe/Ocean/Westwood and AB Groupe/Ocean/Blue Water dubs. The dub of DBZ Movie 3 was decent, but wasn't as good as it could have been due to Ocean having already dubbed the movie in the form of the Saban dub. It's still more

The original Funi dub tried to make up for the heavy censorship of the Saban era by being needlessly edgy (friggin genius, bite me, whatever turns you on), and had far worse voice acting which never catches up to the standard of the Funi/Ocean/Saban dub.) Also, I think the accuracy, as low as it was in the Saban dub, took a turn for the worse in Season 3. Probably the worst element of the original Funi dub was how Bardock Father of Goku was handled, thanks to them not even having scripts from their usual sources, as bad as they could be. At least if Funi did have the scripts for the special we would have still gotten something a whole lot better than what we got here. With each saga Funi's in house cast did they got gradually better. Also, flawed as the dub was, at least it was available in uncut form, which is still a lot better than the situation for the nations of Europe. Also, while not as good as Kikuchi, Faulconers music had a lot of awesome tunes. Not sure the same can be said for the "Real Bands" used in the Movie dubs though.

After Season 3, Cartoon Network UK decided for whatever reason that it didn't like working with Funimation anymore. So the network commissioned the AB Groupe to have it and Ocean produce the Westwood dub of DBZ, the Blue Water dubs of DB and GT, and then finally letting Ocean go to produce its in-house "Big Green" dubs of most of the movies and specials. During their version of the Android/Cell saga, they took the edited Funi footage/script as a base, and edited it down even further to the point of being ridiculous. Even if they weren't allowed to mention death directly, it would have been better if (for a real example) Cell said "...and the bee is no more" rather than "...and the bee is destroyed" as he did in one episode of the Westwood dub. A lot of the times the acting was worse than the respective Funi episodes, but there were small sparks when the Westwood actors did better that Funi. These small sparks apparently became the norm starting about 2/3s in the way of the Boo saga. Also, the replacement music, rather than being designed for the show like was done with Blt, Saban, and in-house Funi, was recycled from older shows most of the time, especially "Megaman" and "Monster Ranch".....I'm not sure about what to say about the score.

The inhouse dub of Dragon Ball kept the original music and was uncut, but the voice acting still isn't that good. The scripts of the BLT dub was reused for the most part, with minor tweaks (some making things more accurate, like the removal of the aformentioned Gohan speech, while others made things less accurate. "Get ready for that walk!" in the in house dub compared to "Hey! Aren't I sexy?" in the BLT dub and "Sexy, aren't I?" in the accurate subs used in the Blue Bricks). As the dub continued, it gave some... interesting errors (King Piccolo saying he fought all over the universe, the name "Shen" given to the Crane Hermit instead of the identity of a Kami-possessed human, who in turn is given the name "Hero". Because when you really think of the name "Hero", the Eternal Dragon comes to mind.....). Also, King Piccolo isn't called a demon in this version.

The Dragon Ball GT in house dub had a replacement score. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think its horrible, but it mostly sounds the same, has no lightheartedness, and generally doesn't belong on the show. I'd say that the score alone made the Funi dub of DBGT unwatchable until the Green Bricks came out and added the original score as an option. Perhaps it started earlier, but I think the voice acting of GT was when things started to get more palatable. Dub errors go from "It's over 9000!" league with Dende's "Get me a first aid kit!" line, to "Your father was an average fighter Kakarott, but he was a brilliant scientist!" league with Krillin reminding #18 that the reason he hated Gero was because he "gave (him) human emotions". Ugh....

The Blue Water dub of DBGT had completely different scripts from the Funi counterpart, and censorship from AB Groupe isn't as much of a concern as it was Pre-Boo, so most of the edits were done by Blue Water. Also, it kept the original music, which before the Green Bricks was a major advantage of the dub. Unfortunately, the voice acting wasn't that good. The acting did improve for the dub of DB though. The Blue Water dub of DB used the Funi scripts for the first couple dozen episodes, but eventually started to use its own scripts. The original music was kept most of the time, but the Megaman music was reused in the place of any insert songs removed from the masters AB Groupe received...YMMV if that's better than keeping those moments with no music like Funi did during its dub.

I'm not done talking about my opinion of the various dubs, but what I have to say next will half to wait until tomorrow, as it's getting late. It's a shame that you can't edit posts after the "expiration date" like you can in other forums.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:11 am

I've just seen Funimation's dub so I'll rate that.

Kai, BOG & RF.
Z's movies, DB, GT, Z's Buu arc & Saiyan arc.
Z's Namek & Android arcs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:50 am

sintzu wrote:I've just seen Funimation's dub so I'll rate that.

Kai, BOG & RF.
Z's movies, DB, GT, Z's Buu arc & Saiyan arc.
Z's Namek & Android arcs.
This is about where I would rank it. They barely even had translations prior to Boo/GT/2001 DB1 redub.

Although Kai is a bit below BoG & RoF, & DB gets serious points for maintaining the OST.

In my mind, however, none of the dubs are worth a newcomer's time, as the original dub was based on Saban/FUNi's 'Murican DBZ with its heavily miscast, misunderstood, misrepresented characters & non-translations. The current dubs are only "good" in that context. & we only have them due to immediately available fansubs. FUNimation or whoever bought the show (Toei shouldve been responsible for their own show!) still treated it as more of "their show".

If the Pioneer dubs had gone through I'd've supported it wholeheartedly. I'd cast it a bit different, but then again I'm no casting director. 8)

From what I've seen of the other dubs...

BoG/RoF (hold-over castings aside) 9/10- in terms of acting & new castings, this is very good & I otherwise prefer it over watching with subtitles. It's kinda like the FMAB, Space Dandy. & Hellsing Ultimate dubs, not super-faithful, but fair enough & honestly a preferable experience (if I had no issue with hold-overs that is). If it were Pioneer's cast & translations, I'd group it with dubs such as Haruhi, Gurren Lagann (mostly), Geass, Tiger & Bunny, Tekkonkinkreet, GitS SAC, & Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, which in my eyes are among the best dubs ever produced.

Pioneer Ocean movie dubs 8.5/10 - Mostly very good castings, yeah Kelamis is a Corlett-alike, basicly a hold-over, but he was a good actor for Goku, & also the scripts were incredibly good. Natural-sounding & also very respectful. It only goes down, kinda unfairly, because of bad pre-2001 manual dubbing technology. If the same folks that dubbed this, dubbed it in the mid-2000's or later the same way, this'd be my top choice. I wish the whole series were dubbed this way (or like BoG but with this cast). Comparable to dubs like 2001 Akira, Big O, Slayers, Golgo 13 Queen Bee. Great work, just riddled with old tech.

Kai 8/10 - Reasonably accurate, a tad liberal for me, & the old hold-over castings based on the Sabanimation dub...dont sit well with me. Yeah, it's the first popular English dub of the show that is basically the same show...but it's still full of "Destructo Disk"-esque stuff. It was also "over 9000" on TV, & I'm not sure what that was for. Teaching kids memes over slightly more accurate dialogue..eh, not a big deal but still. Overall, this isnt a dub I'd recommend to someone like Anime Kitten if they hadnt already grown up with Kai, but I'd definitely recommend it to someone who'd grown up with the DB dubs & were a casual fan who wanted to catch up on the story. Dub of mostly good quality. I'd compare it to Attack on Titan's dub if I were to disregard the hold-overs. Good new castings (Freeza!), a few questionable lines, but mostly great script & many decent actors. Honestly I find it overrated.

Sabanimation Ocean dub 7.5/10 - from what I've seen, mostly great performances, kinda hilarious that people even compare it to the replacement "in-house" dub. It's not a work of art or anything, but most of the actors are too good for this dub. I couldnt recommend it to anyone uninterested in voice-over, but Scott McNeil, David Kaye, Paul/Michael/Brian Dobson, Cathy Weseluck, Andrea Libman, & early Brad Swaile & Brian Drummond often put out some great performances to check out. In fact, I prefer many of these guys, as VA's in general, over Furukawa, Ginga, Utsumi, Gori, etc. they're at least as good, just bound by lip flaps of a whole different language, & terrible working conditions. I also gotta give props to FUNimation for their first-ever dub being with union Vancouver actors. I mean even the 1992 X-Men VA's cost less per hour. Jeez...it's be nice to get that sort of talent for more FUNi dubs, seeing as they havent even had one non-"rescued" union dub.

I guess I could compare this to the 4Kids Yugioh dub? It often brings out qualities of the original, is decently-performed (Ocean>>>NY tho), &..it's kind of a different show, different OST to boot.

DB1/Saiyan arc redub - same as below, but proper OST - 7.2/10. I dont want to say the acting is great, its not pro VA's or anything, but they have the unfair advantage of ProTools magic, plus the faithful quality of the OST is a huge plus.

Boo arc/GT 5.5-6 - proper (kinda) translations! Still no Japanese audio references, but there are hints of the actual Japanese lines when you compare them to subtitle scripts. they're intentionally screwing it up however, & the OST replacement still hurts. I may enjoy plenty of the songs, they just arent the show.

Android & especially Namek/Freeza arc - haha, what is this one-man fandub?! I wont rank the Freeza stuff, but Android arc I'd give a 5.2 mostly.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:Here's the dub lists for reference.

Dragon Ball dubs:

Dragon Ball movie dubs:

DBZ dubs:

DBZ movie dubs:

Creative Product Corp, Unknown Filipino dub (dubbed 10 & 11), Speedy, Ocean, Pioneer, Funi, AB Groupe

DBGT dubs:

Funi, Blue Water

DBGT special dubs:

Funi, AB Groupe

I see you've listed only english dubs. Is this topic about the english dubs?

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:06 am

sangofe wrote:

Dragon Ball dubs:

Dragon Ball movie dubs:

DBZ dubs:

DBZ movie dubs:

DBGT dubs:

Funi, Blue Water

DBGT special dubs:

Funi, AB Groupe

Of course.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:09 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Dragon Ball dubs:

Dragon Ball movie dubs:

DBZ dubs:

DBZ movie dubs:

DBGT dubs:

Funi, Blue Water

DBGT special dubs:

Funi, AB Groupe

Of course.
It's not so obvious reading your topic title.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 am

I'll just list the ones I've seen in full from best to worst:

Dragonball:

1. Funimation: All around solid casting and performances.
2. Blue Water: The performances weren't always the best but for the most part it was an improvement over their GT dub. There were some questionable voice choices though such as Piccolo Jr.

Dragonball Z:

1. Funimation(inhouse Ginyu onwards): Although the actors weren't very experienced to begin with, it didn't take long for them to show considerable improvements. I'd argue that Schemmel was actually pretty decent by the end of Season 3, particularly as Super Saiyan Goku. Apart from that the Team Faulconer score was and still is awesome and really brought that extra emotion to the show.

2. Saban Ocean dub: Despite censorship I can't help but love this dub. The vast majority of the performances were very well done, and the Levy/Wasserman score was awesome for the most part.

3. Funimation 2005 episode 1-67 redub: Honestly I'd consider this to be almost on par with the Saban dub, but the Jonson score isn't as good as the Levy/Wasserman score.

4. Westwood Ocean dub: The performances mostly ranged from passable to awful. Drummond, Mcneil and Henderson still did an okay job, although not as good as in the Saban dub. Terry Klassen went from being good as Krillin to sounding constantly high pitched, whiny and annoying, and Kelamis was all over the place(I actually considered Morrow to be an improvement at that point). Aside from that the music was bad and repetitive to the point of being depressing. In the Fusion saga they finally added some good music and improved the performances, but that isn't enough to save the vast majority of the dub.

Dragonball GT:

1. Funimation: Mostly solid performances and casting all around. I think the Menza score is neither great nor terrible, it's simply passable enough as bgm. Overall I prefer the Japanese score for GT, and thanks to the Season sets that's an option for this dub. Plus Funimation's English versions of the openings and endings are great.

2. Blue Water: I admit that I do like the intro for this dub, and it does use the Japanese score which I like in this case.
Overall the performances were pretty poor and the casting just as bad. I think Kid Goku, Trunks and Pan sound okay, but a large amount of the characters just don't sound as they should. Adult Goku was clearly cast as a Kirby Morrow soundalike, same with Vegeta being a Drummond soundalike, but ultimately the voices don't fit the characters as well. And there were weird lines like Goku saying he was born on earth, and later saying that Vegeta's sacrifice is what defeated Majin Buu.

Movies:

1. Funimation: Overall very good performances for the majority of the movies. I actually really like the Rock music that's used in some of them and think it fits very well (I find it amusing how Ressurection F ended up using some similar sounding music to the old movie dubs). BoG and RF in particular have fantastic performances.

2. Ocean movies 1-3: I think I may actually prefer the Ocean versions of these particular movies to the later Funimation redubs. Although not all the acting and casting was spot on, it was mostly very well done.

3. Big Green movies: What can I say. Back in the day I was among those UK fans who got excited getting a DBZ movie on VHS only to discover that the voices were completely different to both Funimation and Ocean, and Piccolo was now called Big Green, and Goku now sounded like He-Man. Then when Toonami UK finally decided to air the movies a couple of years later I was even more astounded that they'd actually air those versions, completely uncut in daytime funnily enough.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:01 am

For me a great dub has to have the right balance of faithfulness (script and music) and acting quality, so some dubs would rank higher than others based on having great acting but bad scripts (case in point the Saban dub) or bad acting but good scripts (such as the Blue Water Dragon Ball dub for the most part). The BLT Dragon Ball Ocean dub is excluded because I haven't seen it yet. My ranking with grades would go something like this with the top 2 tiers being fantastic.

1. Resurrection F and Pioneer Movie Trilogy (A)
2. Kai and Battle of Gods (B+)
3. Funi original Dragon Ball dub (C)
4. Saban Dragon Ball Z dub and Blue Water Dragon Ball dub (C)
5. Westwood DBZ dub, Funi DBZ Buu saga and Saiyan saga redub (C)
6. Funi DB movies, Z movies 1-13 and TV specials (C-)
7. Blue Water GT dub (C-)
8. Funi DBZ in-house dub Freeza-Cell sagas (D)
9. Funi GT dub (D-)
10. Harmony Gold DB movies 1 and 3 (D-)
11. Big Green Dub (E)
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:25 am

Danfun64 wrote:The dub of DBZ Movie 3 was decent, but wasn't as good as it could have been due to Ocean having already dubbed the movie in the form of the Saban dub. It's still more
Sorry for not completing the sentence. I meant to say that the Pioneer dub of DBZ Movie 3 is still just as accurate as the other DBZ movie dubs, but suffers from a lack of enthusiasm from the actors due to having done that movie already.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:24 pm

DB:
1. BLT dub: Mainly because i prefer the replacement music this dub used. It really fit the mythical ethos of Dragon Ball and gave the show a distinctly mid-90s vibe which i dig. The voice acting was very professional too. Overall it seems like there was more effort put into this dub when you compare it to the in-house dub and the Blue Water dub.

2. Harmony Gold dub

3. FUNimation dub

4. Blue Water dub: This is basically the FUNimation dub except with wooden actors who put in no emotion to their performances.

DBZ:
1. Saban dub: Similarly, i prefer this dub because of it's musical score. Ron Wasserman's soundtrack gave a lot of the scenes this very ominous and ethereal feel which i loved, and also made the fights far more intense than they were in the original Japanese version. I think this dub also did a better job at capturing the comedic aspect of Dragon Ball Z when compared to FUNimation's in-house dub. The censorship is a minor annoyance at worst, imo.

2. Westwood dub: In terms of acting and music, its inferior to the Saban dub, but i still enjoy the goofy Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe this dub has.

3. Pioneer dub: Personal preference mainly. The acting and sound effects are objectively great, but this dub feels a little bland and laborious at times.

4. Big Green dub: Easily the funniest incarnation of the franchise. One or two of the voices also somehow manage to be better than their Ocean/FUNimation counterparts.

5. FUNimation dub: The replacement scores by BF and Nathan Johnson give the show this grim and depressing atmosphere which i don't like. I do enjoy Chris Sabat's Vegeta and a few other voices, but a lot of them sounded like second rate imitations of the Saban dub voices.

6. Speedy dub: Occasionally amusing, but for the most part its flat out unwatchable.

GT:
1. Blue Water dub: It got the superior soundtrack, and a couple of the characters had more appropriate voices (eg Pan and Kid Goku).

2. FUNimation dub: This clearly had better voice acting than the Blue Water dub, but once again the replacement soundtrack made everything too dreary and depressing.

On a related note, someone wrote a pretty decent article about all the English dubs a couple of days ago.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

DB:

Funimation 2001-2003 dub - The first dub from Funimation that was decent. Not great but watchable.

Funimation 1995 dub - This one is not too bad. It was my first introduction to the series back in 1997 and I think it sounds okay. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Funimation and Ocean dub the whole show back in 1995. I do admit the intro for this dub was not very good.

HG 1989 dub - Had this dub been pick up, it could have been decent. I hate the name changes, but the voice acting was decent.

Blue Water dub - This dubs sounds pretty bad from what I've seen.

DBZ:

Kai - The best dub of DBZ in my opinion. Solid voice acting and having less filler makes this the best DBZ anime for me.

Westwood dub - From what I've seen, it looks better than the Funimation dub from 1999-2003.

1996-1998 dub - This dub did had bad censorship, corny dialogue and bad dub errors but the voice acting was not bad. If we had uncut dubs of the Saiyan saga and the first half of the Namek saga, it could have been great. I admit that I'm not a fan of the music replacement.

2005 Ultimate Uncut dub and 2007 remaster dub - This dub is not much better to be honest. Some of the errors are fixed, but the voice acting still sucks in my opinion. I seen the Season three remaster dub and I didn't think it was very good.

1999 - 2003 dub - Just awful. Bad music replacement, terrible voice acting, bad dub errors, bad dub changes and awful dialogue. This dub feels like it was written for the Pokemon audience in mind to me.

GT:

Blue Water dub - From what I've seen, it sounds better than the Funimation dub. The voices sounds better, the scripts look more faithful to the GT dub from Funimation and it has the Japanese music.

Funimation dub - This dub is pretty bad. The voice acting is better than it was in DBZ from 1999, but it's still not very good. The voice acting from Elise Baughman and Stephanie Nadolny are awful. Not to mention the music replacement is awful and some of the voices for the other characters are bad. Dr. Myu with the German accent sounds awful. Having Yi Xing Long and Super Yi Xing Long with two different voices is annoying and Chris Sabat's voice for Yi Xing Long is terrible. It sounds so bad that I can't stand listing to it.

Movies -

Going to skip DB Movies 1-4 because I haven't seen them in a long time.

BOG and ROF dub - The best DBZ movie dubs from Funimation to date in my opinion.

Big Green dub - I rank this dub high because for being so bad that they are good. They remind me of the cheesy dubs of Hong Kong action films from the 1970's.

Uncut Pioneer/Funimation/Ocean dub of DBZ Movies 1-3 - Probably the best dubs of these movies. Highly recommended.

Funimation Movies 8, 10 and 11 dubs - These dubs are not bad at all. The rock music sucks, but I found the dub for the Broli movies to be watchable.

Funimation Remaster 2005 Dubs of DBZ Movies 1-3 - The redub of DBZ Movies 1 and 2 are not too bad while the redub of DBZ Movie 3 is pretty bad.

Funimation Movies 4,5,6,7,9,12 and 13 dubs - The Funimation dubs for these movies are pretty bad. Lord Slug probably has the worst dub with bad voice acting, bad dub changes and the awful rock music.

Speedy dub - These dubs are funny at times, but it gets old fast.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Dragon Ball

1. Blue Water: I'm probably one of the few people who has seen this whole dub front to back and I like it a lot. Some questionable casting choices(Piccolo Jr., General Blue, Crane Hermit), but I like the overall production a lot more than Funimation's. Not nearly as many forced voices, cheesy accents and a script that is much better. The biggest problem, and one that is also in their GT dub, is overuse of the actor Corby Proctor. He only does two voices for all the characters he plays and one of them is very, very annoying.

2. Funimation: Really just kind of a default position. I'm not fond of this dub, but it's one of only two to get the whole series.

3. Harmony Gold: Great casting and scripts. Never seen the TV episodes, obviously, but I like their movie dubs. The name changes are annoying though.

4. BLT: I don't really find much to like here. I'm against replacement scores on principle, the script has too many dumb jokes and a ton of annoying or downright bad performances. (Pilaf, Shu, Yamcha, Puar, The Turtle Hermit, just to name the ones that bother me the most.)

Z

I can barely be arsed to make a full ranking for this. I don't like any of the dubs for Z proper. Bad scripts, bad music and bad acting all around.

1. Kai: A spectacular redemption for Funimation. There were still a couple recasts they could have done, but overall an excellent dub.

2. Pioneer Movies: Movie 2 is a great dub and Movie 1 is also solid, but I find that their movie 3 dub drags the rest of them down. I think I even like the TV version of that one more.

GT

I'm not even sure which dub is better. Funimation has much better voice acting, but the script and replacement score are both terrible. I don't want to get on too much of a rant, but there's a lot wrong with the writing.

Meanwhile Blue Water has the original music and an infinitely better script, but the voice acting is often stiff and lifeless. I fell like I should like this one a little more overall, I just can't get past the VO.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:12 pm

I like Pan's voice in the Blue Water dub. She actually sounds like...well, a teenage girl.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:46 pm

DB
1. Harmony Gold
Despite the name changes and censorship, the voice acting is quite decent, with Barbara Goodson's Kid Goku and Wendee Lee's Bulma being my favorite voices. With better voice direction, no name changes and no censorship, it could have been great.

2. BLT
Although it has some bad jokes, bad censorship and an unnecessary score (it's good), it is decent.

3. Funimation
A much better dub than the ones I'll talk about later.

4. Blue Water
Despite some miscasts, the voice acting is actually decent.

DBZ
1. Kai
A very good dub from Funimation and the best English dub for DBZ, although has some flaws like unnecessary jokes and a few bad voice performances (Chi-Chi, Ox-King, King Kai, Jeice and Recoome). The cast has improved massively. The best performances belong to Chris Ayres, Dameon Clarke and J. Michael Tatum.

2. Saban-Ocean dub
Despite the bad censorship, unnecessary replacement score and bad script, the voice acting is quite good for the most part.

3. Remastered dub
It's okay, much better than the dub I'll talk about next.

4. 1999-2003 Funimation dub/2001-2002 Westwood dub (TIE)
Very bad dubs from two companies that normally do good dubs for other anime. Funimation's dub suffers from inexperienced voice actors, bad jokes, bad censorship and terrible music. Westwood's dub has the problems of the former dub, the same bad script, bad censorship and terrible music recycled from Megaman. Westwood dub unfortunately had great voice actors being hampered by terrible voice direction. Both dubs have some good voices and they get tolerable in the Buu Saga, although that's not saying much.

DBGT
1. Funimation
It's okay as a dub, although has terrible music.

2. Blue Water
Just awful. The highlights of the dub are Zoe Slusar's Kid Goku, Caitlynne Medrek's Pan, Matthew Erickson's Giru, and the fact that it has the original Japanese score.

Movies

1. BOG, ROF and Pioneer Ocean dubs of DBZ 1-3
Excellent dubs.

2. DB and DBZ dubs by Funimation
Range from okay to bad to just average. Terrible Faulconer music.

3. Big Green /Speedy dubs
So bad they're good.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:57 pm

I seem to recall reading that apart from the Engrish, the Speedy dubs are pretty accurate to the Japanese dialogue.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:I like Pan's voice in the Blue Water dub. She actually sounds like...well, a teenage girl.
Except Pan is only like 9

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: DB and DBZ dubs by Funimation
The movies didn't have Faulconer Productions music

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I think (s)he was talking about the music added in the dubs, like for Cooler's Revenge.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I think (s)he was talking about the music added in the dubs, like for Cooler's Revenge.
Yeah I know, it didn't have Faulconer though. I think History of Trunks has some Faulconer in the TV version but that's it