Wouldn't Tien have suffered the same fate as Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Wouldn't Tien have suffered the same fate as Yamcha?

Post by kinisking » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:55 pm

So I've been re-reading the saiyan saga. Everyone gives Yamcha shit for dropping his guard and "losing" to the saibaman but right before Tien drops his guard also. If it weren't for Vegeta killing the saibaman, then Tien could have went through the same thing.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Akyon
Regular

Re: Wouldn't Tien have suffered the same fate as Yamcha?

Post by Akyon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Yes. Yes he would.

Honestly there's a good chance any of them could have been killed by the same thing bar MAYBE Piccolo who seems like the least likely to drop his guard or has a big enough of a power gap that it might not work on him. Hell, the reason Yamcha decides to go instead of Krillin is because he has a bad feeling about the Saibamen.

But...it happened to Yamcha, and the guy never gets to look good again after that fight in canon either.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Problem is Yamcha got taken out early in both the Saiyan and Cell arcs. He loses to a Saibaman, is of course dead during the entire Freeza arc, and then Dr. Gero punches a hole through him at the beginning of the Cell arc and he pretty much just stays at Kame's house all the way until the Cell Games begins.

I always did think Yamcha's last moments of glory is contributing to the defeat of Perfect Cell when he was firing his blasts like everyone else was, that's always overlooked.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:50 pm

With Yamucha clearly being the weakest Z Warrior (I mean it's either him or Chaozu), people like to crap on him. I like Yamucha. Yamucha and Kuririn get a bad rap just because they get overpowered. Yeah, Yamucha -- unlike Kuririn -- shows that he's a bit more cowardly, but I don't think that's the case either. Kuririn and Yamucha say things that make you believe that they're not quick to rush into battle, but both display incredible courage because they are overpowered, yet still choose to fight.

I'm sure that Yamucha didn't expect to defeat the dreaded Saiyans that he heard about for a year, but he still showed up. Yamucha went back to the battlefield after 20 nearly killed him. All of the human characters, I'd argue, are much more heroic than the Saiyans because they know that they don't stand a chance, but the come to fight anyway.

Did Yamucha really let his guard down against the Saibaimen? Or was he simply the first casualty to experience what they are capable of? I believe it's the latter.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:15 am

Yeah, Tenshitforbrains isn't a smart guy. This doesn't absolve Yamcha of anything.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:24 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Yeah, Tenshitforbrains isn't a smart guy.
Angry, much?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:25 am

precita wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Yeah, Tenshitforbrains isn't a smart guy.
Angry, much?
I don't see where I implied I was angry?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:30 am

A lot of Goku's rivals aren't exactly too bright in combat, hence why Goku himself outsmarted them in battle.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 am

Kid Buu wrote:A lot of Goku's rivals aren't exactly too bright in combat, hence why Goku himself outsmarted them in battle.
My favorite instances of this are when Goku's rivals throw poorly aimed attacks at him and the attacks somehow end up nailing them instead, meaning they are effectively defeating themselves.

But Piccolo is a brilliant fighter alright!? :evil:
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 am

If Goku was there I could see it happening to him too. Seriously I don't see why Yamcha gets so much shit for this.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:03 am

Tenshinhan lets his guard after seemingly winning a match explicitly fought for sport. Yamcha lets his guard down after seemingly winning a match more explicitly fought for life and death.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Zephyr wrote:Tenshinhan lets his guard after seemingly winning a match explicitly fought for sport. Yamcha lets his guard down after seemingly winning a match more explicitly fought for life and death.
What? They were both fighting saibamen.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 pm

kinisking wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Tenshinhan lets his guard after seemingly winning a match explicitly fought for sport. Yamcha lets his guard down after seemingly winning a match more explicitly fought for life and death.
That's probably in reference to the fact that Vegeta refers to it as "a game." But I don't think anybody there was under the impression that it wasn't to be taken seriously. Even Vegeta kills his minion for losing. It's only "a game" in the sense that he considers them so far beneath him that he and Nappa can watch for sport. That's the whole reason Piccolo takes such offense to it: their struggles are a game to him, not to them.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:38 pm

most likely he would

i remember Tien being off gaurd when he thought that he defeated the saibaman
My English is poor .

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:12 pm

Yup, he would..
Tien and Yamcha were around the same level when you compare them with higher powers like the ones they were fighting..

Yamcha is the weakest z warrior ( debatable, I think chiaotzu is ) so people give him shit.. not really, he is a pretty awesome character..

Yamcha dying was to symbolize the grave condition they were in, drop the guard and you are dead
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Yup. Krillin even says that if Yamcha didnt fight in place of him,he would have been the one to die too. I think Piccolo would be the only one who could survive that blast.

Also Yamcha is the qeakest Z fightee if you take Yajirobe,Chaotzu, and Roshi out of the equation. But by the time the android saga rolled around those 3 werent z fighters anymore. So in the sayain saga, he wasnt the weakest.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:50 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Yup. Krillin even says that if Yamcha didnt fight in place of him,he would have been the one to die too. I think Piccolo would be the only one who could survive that blast.

Also Yamcha is the qeakest Z fightee if you take Yajirobe,Chaotzu, and Roshi out of the equation. But by the time the android saga rolled around those 3 werent z fighters anymore. So in the sayain saga, he wasnt the weakest.
Yet Yajirobe still accomplished far more than Yamcha or Tenshinhan. Yet another reason he's the best character.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:20 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Yamcha is the weakest z warrior ( debatable, I think chiaotzu is )
I don't think anyone legitimately argues that Chiaotzu is stronger than Yamcha. Come to think of it I wonder why Chiaotzu doesn't get more hate. He's probably the most useless Z figher to exist. He only ever had one worthwhile fight and it was just a tournament match. Blowing himself up was kinda cool too I guess even though: http://starecat.com/content/wp-content/ ... matter.jpg

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:42 pm

kinisking wrote:
Vegeta suggests they fight for sport. While Piccolo is upset by this notion, Krillin thinks it wise, as it would buy time for Goku. That's when Tenshinhan steps up to the plate. There seems to be a general agreement that they're not fighting to kill one another just yet. Tenshinhan defeats his, and then lets his guard down.

That's when Vegeta kills the Saibaman for not going all out. It is then clear to the Saibamen that it's the earthlings or them. If the Saibamen don't win, at any cost, then Vegeta will kill them. This right here clearly escalates things. It is after this is made more clear that Yamcha somehow still sees it fit to let one's guard down.

They both let their guard down against some strange aliens, and they're both dumb on that account. I think that Yamcha's more dumb, however, for continuing to let his guard down after seeing that Vegeta will kill the Saibaman if it doesn't kill Yamcha.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Tenshinhan would've been okay, most notably because Chaozu would've warned him if the Saibaman was coming for another attack (which is what happened in the first round). Also, Yamcha alone has a reputation from Dragonball of seriously underestimating his opponents, getting cocky, then losing because of it.