A DB-Chrono Trigger crossover would be interesting

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

A DB-Chrono Trigger crossover would be interesting

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Akira Toriyama, unknown to many people, worked as a character designer on the video games Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ns/.110506

It would be cool if there was a Chrono Trigger crossover with DB, or perhaps more interestingly a Chrono Trigger anime.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A DB-Chrono Trigger crossover would be interesting

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Akira Toriyama, unknown to many people, worked as a character designer on the video games Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ns/.110506

It would be cool if there was a Chrono Trigger crossover with DB, or perhaps more interestingly a Chrono Trigger anime.
It's actually very well known and it's pretty obvious.

Chrono Trigger is great, but it hasn't been relevant in ages, unlike Dragon Ball which has had new material throughout the decades. It would perhaps be neat to see Crono as a DLC (still hate that concept, but whatevs) character in a Dragon Ball game or something, but I don't ever expect to.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but I prefer a crossover with Dragon Quest.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:02 am

I had a Nintendo magazine that had a spread on Chrono Trigger a long, long, long, long -- and did I mention -- long time ago and I knew then, even as a little kid, that Chrono Trigger's art style was that of Dragon Ball's. I always thought it would be an interesting crossover. It could certainly work with the time travel thing. By the by, Blue Dragon would also work, as it too has the same art style. I don't know what the story actually is. I tried watching a few episodes and never got into it.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:38 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I had a Nintendo magazine that had a spread on Chrono Trigger a long, long, long, long -- and did I mention -- long time ago and I knew then, even as a little kid, that Chrono Trigger's art style was that of Dragon Ball's. I always thought it would be an interesting crossover. It could certainly work with the time travel thing. By the by, Blue Dragon would also work, as it too has the same art style. I don't know what the story actually is. I tried watching a few episodes and never got into it.
In the Viz translations that I grew up reading, Toriyama was always credited as having worked on a game called Chrono Trigger. It was only a little later that I learned of the masterpiece that the actual game was. Probably 2007 or 08, to date myself. As for Blue Dragon, same time, same sort of thing. The American localization was advertised in Shonen Jump, at the exact same time I was reading DB from the start. (As an aside, it's pretty cool the game's English dub was union, & featured the likes of Tara Strong & Fred Tatasciore alongside mostly dub VAs, interestingly enough). The weird thing, looking at BD from a non-player/viewer perspective, is the different VAs in both the dub & original Japanese, between the game & the show. Only played/saw a bit of both way back, & I dont think I noticed it, but it annoys me a bit.

Also, I always find it funny that Crono looks just like Trunks, & both, just like Link of the Legend of Zelda, are the Hero of TimeTM. Takeshi Kusao also sounds like Link's male VA's, interestingly as well. I so, so hope that either Nobuyuki Hiyama or Kusao himself voiced Crono if that crossover ever happened. Great reference. For the English dub, it could only be Eric Vale.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:06 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Also, I always find it funny that Crono looks just like Trunks, & both, just like Link of the Legend of Zelda, are the Hero of TimeTM. Takeshi Kusao also sounds like Link's male VA's, interestingly as well. I so, so hope that either Nobuyuki Hiyama or Kusao himself voiced Crono if that crossover ever happened. Great reference. For the English dub, it could only be Eric Vale.
That's not even going into Marle being a blonde-haired Teen Bulma, and Lucca being a Bulma/Arale mix.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 pm

dragonballhero wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Also, I always find it funny that Crono looks just like Trunks, & both, just like Link of the Legend of Zelda, are the Hero of TimeTM. Takeshi Kusao also sounds like Link's male VA's, interestingly as well. I so, so hope that either Nobuyuki Hiyama or Kusao himself voiced Crono if that crossover ever happened. Great reference. For the English dub, it could only be Eric Vale.
That's not even going into Marle being a blonde-haired Teen Bulma, and Lucca being a Bulma/Arale mix.
& Magus as evil Kibit, & Ayla being prehistoric Lunch.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:26 am

I'm not interested in seeing some video game characters getting crushed by krillin

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Gog wrote:I'm not interested in seeing some video game characters getting crushed by krillin
Lol exactly which is why I get so annoyed at the large amount of One Piece crossovers that they keep giving us instead of something that would make more sense.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am

I'd be down with it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Image
I'd be down with it.
Was this made when that "Dr. Slump Returns" manga was being serialized? I'm pretty sure that Chrono Trigger was released around the same time, right?

Also, is it weird that I kind of ship Marle X Goten? I don't why, but I feel that one of Goten's girlfriends could be a Marle look-alike, or maybe even Marle herself! (With a name change, of course.)

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:52 pm

NO IT WOULD BE THE WORST THING EVER.
There's no real reason for the cast to meet.
And the meeting create some very dangerous issue:
-Free time travel
-Spells (on yes, you just need to walk around in circle 5 time and voit la, bolts! Fireballs! Cure!).
-CT characters come mostly from the low tech (or lost hi tech) world. Communication problems.
-Total power level messing (Chrono probably's at a lower level than Yamcha even at his best)
-Lukka meet Bulma. Welcome to the greatest cultural shock in history!
-"Vegeta, come destroy Lavos, please". Click, whack, done. Lavos it's probably less dangerous than Frieza.
-A lotta other points I'm too lazy to write.

No, please, don't mess that pure gem that was Chrono Trigger with unneeded contaminations!!
Believe me: CT fans are VERY JEALOUS of the game integrity and timeline, more than DB ones XD.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.