Modern Dragon Ball needs to stop throwing Goku and his family under a bus.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Modern Dragon Ball needs to stop throwing Goku and his family under a bus.

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:33 am

I've made several threads alluding to Toei and such hating on the Son Family multiple times for multiple reasons due to their less-than-flattery portrayals (Goku being a functioning mentally challenged dickhead, Gohan being a nerdy loser who even Jaco doesn't respect, Chi-Chi being the bitch wife from hell, etc.)... but I'm dead-ass serious this time. They've gone too far with clowning them for their personal gain. I mean, do they seriously think this shit is funny to people (above the age of 7)... stuff like Jaco basically taking a massive shit on Gohan (how does he even take a dump?)?!

More importantly, how is this even fair? Goku is barely passed the point where he can't go somewhere without literally pissing his pants and is an uncaring family man while Vegeta is shown as a loving family man while being true to his character, Gohan is only relevant as a punchline and big joke while Future Trunks gets his own arc where he's haxed beyond reason, and Bulma x Vegeta get their own event (in REAL-LIFE!!) while Goku x Chi-Chi doesn't even exist in Super.

My faith in this franchise is dying... it's like these writers are intent on destroying every trace of the original for their own fanfiction.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Re: Modern Dragon Ball needs to stop throwing Goku and his family under a bus.

Post by precita » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 am

The only time Jaco saw Gohan in action was in the Freeza arc where he failed against his soldiers and nearly got killed. Why wouldn't Jaco think Gohan was mediocre?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 am

They, aren't mutiple times Goku has shown his love and affection for his family, like that time when he heard the Black killed Goten and ChiChi. Goku didn't care or go. Damn, or something like that, he completly and utterly freaked the fuck out managing to beat the ever loving day lights out of Black, and made one of the bests scenes in the anime, when he ascended to pimp lord status, and humiliated Zamasu.

ChiChi, jumped towards Goku, when he lost against Frost, and hugged him also expressing affection towards him.

Honestly their relation ship hasn't changed at all, its gotten better.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 am

Jokes are bad and should be frowned upon.
Retired.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 am

They're probably just pandering to the fanbase. And I guess the fanbase likes Vegeta and Future Trunks and the Vegeta/Bulma relationship more. Or at least that's what Toei assumes. I didn't even know there were people who actually shipped Goku and Chi-Chi until I went onto tumblr.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

Gog wrote:They, aren't mutiple times Goku has shown his love and affection for his family, like that time when he heard the Black killed Goten and ChiChi. Goku didn't care or go. Damn, or something like that, he completly and utterly freaked the fuck out managing to beat the ever loving day lights out of Black, and made one of the bests scenes in the anime, when he ascended to pimp lord status, and humiliated Zamasu.

ChiChi, jumped towards Goku, when he lost against Frost, and hugged him also expressing affection towards him.

That reminds me, I can't wait to hear Schemel scream "Your immortality means nothing!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm

precita wrote:The only time Jaco saw Gohan in action was in the Freeza arc where he failed against his soldiers and nearly got killed. Why wouldn't Jaco think Gohan was mediocre?
Jaco should shut his mouth then. He couldn't do shit against them during Resurrection F while Gohan was doing stuff.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I've made several threads alluding to Toei and such hating on the Son Family multiple times for multiple reasons due to their less-than-flattery portrayals (Goku being a functioning mentally challenged dickhead, Gohan being a nerdy loser who even Jaco doesn't respect, Chi-Chi being the bitch wife from hell, etc.)... but I'm dead-ass serious this time. They've gone too far with clowning them for their personal gain. I mean, do they seriously think this shit is funny to people (above the age of 7)... stuff like Jaco basically taking a massive shit on Gohan (how does he even take a dump?)?!

More importantly, how is this even fair? Goku is barely passed the point where he can't go somewhere without literally pissing his pants and is an uncaring family man while Vegeta is shown as a loving family man while being true to his character, Gohan is only relevant as a punchline and big joke while Future Trunks gets his own arc where he's haxed beyond reason, and Bulma x Vegeta get their own event (in REAL-LIFE!!) while Goku x Chi-Chi doesn't even exist in Super.

My faith in this franchise is dying... it's like these writers are intent on destroying every trace of the original for their own fanfiction.
I think this is the same point where it really ticked me off too..
I was somehow tolerating until recently..

I still won't lose hope, forget the Japanese version, I am a firm believer dub goku is getting better lines which will to some extent remove the bullshit..

The Jaco being retarded to Gohan is a line I totally want tinkered
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm

I think you may be a tad bit obsessed at this point.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think you may be a tad bit obsessed at this point.
You talking to me?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
You talking to me?
No, the OP obviously.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
You talking to me?
No, the OP obviously.
Ya I thought so, but couldn't see how his description showed he was obsessed..

Some reply to others while not quoting them, had to confirm that wasn't the case here :lol:
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Ya I thought so, but couldn't see how his description showed he was obsessed..
Because he has made multiple threads complaining about the exact same thing at this point.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm

All of DB is aimed at kids but it seems like current DB is just aimed at them while the original took older people into account so you didn't have as many childish moments and jokes in the original like current DB has.

Int erms of why they're doing the exact things they do (Vegeta×Bulma, Goku being very stupid, ect) is because it's popular and they're getting positave feedback for it. obviously that's not the case here but it could be in Japan.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Stuff like Jaco basically taking a massive shit on Gohan (how does he even take a dump?)?!
Did that really happen ? :wtf: :shock: :o
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm actually getting kinda tired of of whole "Goku is an idiot" label that people have been slapping on Super with his characterisation. Goku at his core is a battle loving manchild. While the anime adaption of the Z portion of the manga certainly adds more on Goku's mindset the make his seem like less of battle maniac, in the manga, he's a full blown blood knight that doesn't show that many social skill. Goku has always been about training, fighting and testing himself. Goku constantly thinking those things is Goku's core characteristic, especially as he gets older. I mean, Goku certainly has some other thoughts, but they ultimately relate to his main thought of "Who can I fight next?/How can I get stronger?". Silly stuff like Goku never kissing Chi Chi don't display a lack of intelligence. It's a dumb, and I mean really, dumb gag. But I think some people are looking into it way too deeply and/or taking it way too seriously. Does it make sense for Goku to have never kissed Chi Chi? No, it doesn't. But given how casually distant Goku can be with his family, it's not something completely out of the realm of possibility. Super just follows that trends. Calling Goku a retard in any way is really making a mountain out of mole hole.

I've only really come across one instance where Goku, in my opinion, showed a distinct lack of intelligence in Super and that was when he couldn't tell that was Beerus wearing a Monaka suit in EP42. But in that circumstance, it was 100% played for laughs and pure filler. Him forgetting stuff like the senzu and and seal for the Mafuba jar... it's just a case of, well, forgetting things in a race against time. I mean, are we really gonna start labelling people stupid if they forget important things? It's like locking you keys inside your car or leaving a bag of groceries on the bus or forgetting important documents you're meant to take to school or work at home the same day. Shit like that just happens. It's a common lapse in concentration that occurs to everyone at one stage of their life, even if they're not in a rush. It's happened to me, you and everyone on this forum at one point in their live. That shouldn't mean you're stupid. That's a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion.

Chi Chi has always been quite a hothead, but she has her moments where she mellows out and just accepts Goku's bullshit because that's ultimately what he can do from time to time but she knows he doesn't do it out of malice or spite. And in all fairness, if you had an irresponsible husband like Goku, your patient would be stretched to the limit.

Gohan is shift in focus is perfectly acceptable given he got married and has a child and is still looking for greater opportunities to provide as much as he can for his family. I really don't understand why Gohan is being getting flack for simply wanting to making he isn't living off of donations from family and friends like Goku and Chi Chi are. Gohan won't always have the time to play Great Saiyaman because that's more of hobby than an actual commitment. When he has actual time to play superhero, he'll do it. And he's actually done that in few episodes of Super, albeit briefly. And, no, Gohan never loved training with his father, hell he pretty much only ever trained once with Goku and that was in circumstances where he really had no choice. I mean, when Goku announced that he was going to coming back to life for one day to take part in WMAT in the Majin Boo arc, Gohan initially wasn't even going to take part in that tournament. It took Videl blackmailing him for that to happen. So Gohan has never shown a love for training or fighting with anyone. He does it out of necessity. I really don't know why Gohan is being labelled a nerd for trying top provide for his family and for himself.
sintzu wrote:All of DB is aimed at kids but it seems like current DB is just aimed at them while the original took older people into account so you didn't have as many childish moments and jokes in the original like current DB has.
No. Dragon Ball back they was aimed at specifically young boys and if it appealed to other types of audiences, then that was just in good fortune. Just like Dragon Ball nowadays.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:No. Dragon Ball back they was aimed at specifically young boys and if it appealed to other types of audiences, then that was just in good fortune. Just like Dragon Ball nowadays.
I guess we could say that what was accepted for kids back then has changed now so it seems like the target audience is different when it really isn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Exactly I'm sick of the whole glorification of Vegeta and Bulma. I hate the notion that Goku and Chi Chi don't love each other (and the fact Super made that they never kissed)
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:58 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Exactly I'm sick of the whole glorification of Vegeta and Bulma. I hate the notion that Goku and Chi Chi don't love each other (and the fact Super made that they never kissed)
They do love each other, I'll just quote, what I said
They, aren't mutiple times Goku has shown his love and affection for his family, like that time when he heard the Black killed Goten and ChiChi. Goku didn't care or go. Damn, or something like that, he completly and utterly freaked the fuck out managing to beat the ever loving day lights out of Black, and made one of the bests scenes in the anime, when he ascended to pimp lord status, and humiliated Zamasu.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I really don't wanna do this but Super just keeps forcing my hand and pride won't let me take it sitting.

But hey, at least I'm not making personal attacks at the writers or saying people who like what I don't (or vice-versa) should be sent to North Korea or handed over to ISIS to be beheaded.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm

precita wrote:The only time Jaco saw Gohan in action was in the Freeza arc where he failed against his soldiers and nearly got killed. Why wouldn't Jaco think Gohan was mediocre?
He didn't fail against his soldiers, he was capable of beating them all himself. Freeza just got in the way.

But Jaco calling him mediocre doesn't bother me one bit. Jacos self absorbed and pretty much an ass to everyone.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.