Is there anyone that stopped or decide not to watch Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Is there anyone that stopped or decide not to watch Super?

Post by keyz05 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 am

One user in Fanfiction told me that she decided to quit watching Super because of the lack of Gogeta and how utterly boring the series has gotten. So, for now, I want to know...

Has anyone ever decided to quit watching Super and/or decided not the watch the show ever again?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Is there anyone that stopped or decide not to watch Super?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 am

I'm still watching since it's Dragon Ball and I have prior interest. However, it's not a good enough show for me to say that I'd watch it if it wasn't a DB series. Also, I'll probably never re-watch any of the new material once it's done, it just doesn't really appeal to me past the initial hype.

Gogeta not showing up is a really dumb reason not to like the show.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Retired.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:30 am

Yes. Super bores the fuck out of me. The idea of a new series annoyed me, and the show just annoys me.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:30 am

I literally cannot find any website to watch Dragon Ball Super on.

Also she stopped watching it because of Gogeta? Really? That's probably the worst reason to stop watching it

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 am

Gog wrote:I literally cannot find any website to watch Dragon Ball Super on.
Which country do you live in? There are a few sites where you can watch it legally, I personally prefer Daisuki: http://www.daisuki.net/contents/dragonball_s.html
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 am

The only time I don't watch it is during its mini filler arcs between the main ones and if I miss a canon episode I watch it later.

The only arc I probably won't watch again after seeing it dubbed in english is the BOG arc and that's just because of how much better the movie is in comparison, not because the arc itself is unwatchable.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:44 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm still watching since it's Dragon Ball and I have prior interest. However, it's not a good enough show for me to say that I'd watch it if it wasn't a DB series. Also, I'll probably never re-watch any of the new material once it's done, it just doesn't really appeal to me past the initial hype.

Co-signed. Every part.

My curiosity and the rare stellar moment keeps pushing me onward.

There are still some episodes I skipped and haven't watched though. It isn't something I'd tell anyone they need to watch.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm still watching since it's Dragon Ball and I have prior interest. However, it's not a good enough show for me to say that I'd watch it if it wasn't a DB series. Also, I'll probably never re-watch any of the new material once it's done, it just doesn't really appeal to me past the initial hype.

While I love Gogeta... I agree. Not a very smart and objective reason not to watch Super.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 am

Meh. Super just doesnt interest me. Maybe it's because of the retellings of movies I saw already, or the art style. Or maybe it's because I wasn't fond of how the previous series turned out in the last season. It could be fatigue, or even possibly the nostalgia factor being cut off with the new material. I really cant put my finger on it. But yeah, I just dont have much interest in Super at the moment.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 am

Agree with everything here except for not rewaching it, I will once it gets dubbed..

A different acting brings out the show differently, need to see by how much in this case
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:44 am

I stopped because it wasn't that good. Kind of lost interest. But I will probably resume one day.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:03 am

I have before during the RoF arc and beginning of Uni 6 arc, not just me. But I know a lot of people who stopped watching super at the time, but the difference is they never came back.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

I've only seen the first 4 episodes, and it's pacing is really bad. I was able to put up with Z's pacing because there was a new episode aired every day. But with only 1 episode a week, it's pretty tough to stick with it.

While I appreciate the Japanese voicework, I much prefer watching a dub because it's easy watch and relax, maybe multitask a bit, where as with a sub, you really need to stay focused. Instead of waiting for the weekly dubs on Toonami, I'm going to finnish rewatching the series (I'm currently watching Goku v Jackie Chun at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai) and then I'll binge watch Super subbed.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 pm

The first 27 episodes of Super are a real test for many people. Even though I like the Super-exclusive material that sandwiches the "BoG" and "RoF" TV arcs, I still think it was a mistake to re-animate (in lower quality, no less) stories that are still fresh in most audiences' heads.

If anyone's on the fence about Super who hasn't checked it yet, check out episodes 28 and onward: The show's quality picks up dramatically. There are still weird things like pacing issues & up-and-down animation quality, but there's plenty of material that develops the characters and expands the universe, and the Future Trunks arc in particular took the franchise in a direction I wouldn't have expected Dragon Ball to go in.

Though I will say, if you're strictly watching the dub; you're going to be waiting quite a while.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Man-Child wrote:Meh. Super just doesnt interest me. Maybe it's because of the retellings of movies I saw already, or the art style. Or maybe it's because I wasn't fond of how the previous series turned out in the last season. It could be fatigue, or even possibly the nostalgia factor being cut off with the new material. I really cant put my finger on it. But yeah, I just dont have much interest in Super at the moment.
With previous series you mean Z? or GT?

Now responding the main post i'm pretty sure that a lot of people did it after ep 5 or the RoF arc, it's not like i've met a lot of them but still.

Also hating it because lack of Gogeta? lol? i could understand it if it was because lack of major roles to the supporting cast but this.....
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I never stopped, per se, but, well... Okay, I never even bothered to watch it in the first place until about eight months after it started airing, which was about a year ago. I had about 30 episodes to catch up on at the time, so I figured if I watched an episode a day, I'd catch up in about a month. It's been a year since then, and I'm still about six episodes behind. There have been good things and bad things and quite a few "meh" things. I've taken breaks from watching it. I certainly don't watch an episode a day... or even a week. And it's never been something I've felt any kind of hype where I just had to watch it as it comes out. And I doubt I'll feel that way even if I do catch up all the way. In fact, I wonder if my being behind is simply a rationalization for not plopping myself down in front of my computer for the simulcast every week. I can always just say, "Well, I'm not caught up yet, so I can't watch that." Which is true, but the reality is also that I simply don't care enough to do so even if I was able.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:02 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I still think it was a mistake to re-animate (in lower quality, no less) stories that are still fresh in most audiences' heads.
RF needed to be retold, the movie was very rushed story wise.

I think what they should've done is give each arc 10 episodes each instead of what we got.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm

I haven't watched it, but I'm kind of excited to. Knowing myself, I know for a fact that I'm going to get Funimation's release, so if I'm gonna get it, might as well watch it with fresh eyes (unlike the rest of the series that I own). I thought it would be exciting to go into it as a first-time viewer -- and since I have no emotional attachments to it, I don't care about watching the Japanese version and can just watch the dub (since it will be accurate anyway). But I can't imagine stopping watching it, to be honest. As a DB fan, I'd watch anything DB-related. If it was an episode of Goku selling candy bars, I'd watch it. I might hate it, but I would watch.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:29 pm

ecrockedboston wrote:I've only seen the first 4 episodes, and it's pacing is really bad. I was able to put up with Z's pacing because there was a new episode aired every day. But with only 1 episode a week, it's pretty tough to stick with it.
The first two arcs are a real trial. There's no getting around the fact that it's adapting material meant to play out in ninety-minute movies, and stretching it out over ten episodes.

There's a lot that simply feels baffling. I remember waiting and waiting during the first arc for the Pilaf gang to explain why they were younger, or to have some role approaching their relevance in the movie version, and -- I don't even feel bad about spoiling this -- neither happens.

Whatever my feelings on the series as a whole, the pacing does at least improve dramatically after the movie adaptations. Some of the in-between episodes are also genuinely good (#16 in particular).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

The only post Trunks stuff I've watched entirely is the Hit arc with clips for anything after it or before. Super going full retard with Broly has greatly renewed my interest in what's sure to be the biggest mess of an arc yet so there is that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):