Suppose that the original Dragon Ball gets a new dub...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Suppose that the original Dragon Ball gets a new dub...

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Don't you mean Goku?
Yes, although I have the same sentiment for both.
Well, Sabat cast Clinkenbeard as Gohan because Nadolny was unavailable and she was capable of doing a more age-appropriate voice. She's good IMO, but she can get grating.
I understand why the recast happened, I just can't for the life of me understand what possessed him to choose Clinkenbeard.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Yes, although I have the same sentiment for both.
Well, Sabat cast Clinkenbeard as Gohan because Nadolny was unavailable and she was capable of doing a more age-appropriate voice. She's good IMO, but she can get grating.
I understand why the recast happened, I just can't for the life of me understand what possessed him to choose Clinkenbeard.
Because he thought she was a good fit for Gohan.

Also, in case anyone cares, I thought Clinkenbeard was a good Gohan. Sounded more fitting than Nadolny IMO, despite my fondness for her as Goku. Having said that, I'd be open to a new Goku voice in a Kai-esque dub. I haven't seen many choices Funimation made with Kai that I haven't been on-board with, particularly as far as voice casting and direction goes.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Does Funimation typically dub the openings nowadays? I'm no anime aficionado, but all the non-DB Funi stuff I have still uses the Japanese openings..
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm

I love the dub version of "Over the Star" from Kai, so I'm 100% for dubbing the insert songs. My answer is yes, as long as the dubbed version is good.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Does Funimation typically dub the openings nowadays? I'm no anime aficionado, but all the non-DB Funi stuff I have still uses the Japanese openings..
Dubbing openings is pretty much a no-go for Funimation nowadays. As far as I know, they haven't dubbed an opening song since 2011, when they released Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part 8 and One Piece: Season 3, Voyage 5. If anyone knows of any series after those that Funi dubbed the opening for, please correct me.

Of course, dubbing openings wasn't exactly a standard practice before then, either. Fullmetal Alchemist was dubbed long before that, with all of the openings left as-is.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Show By Rock has its opening and ending dubbed. Heard they and the other songs weren't in the broadcast dub, but the home release has them. Will say I miss dubbed openings as I like to sing theme songs when they're on, and I suck singing in Japanese. I do better singing at con karaoke in English than in Japanese.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 am

Funimation tends to be very hit or miss with their dubbed songs. Singing isn't really their forte and it shows in my opinion. If they hired a singing/musical company to handle songs for them I'd be more trusting but they tend to do everything in house so, I'd honestly prefer to retain the Japanese vocals or even have instrumental versions instead if the Japanese is too distracting.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 am

floofychan333 wrote:All the songs need to be in Japanese because they're better that way. Especially insert songs. Making the songs in English is just one of many ways in which Dragon Ball has been Americanized.

They should just not dub the show and air it on tv in Japanese with subtitles. But subtitles is Americanization.

They should just run the show in raw Japanese form on tv.

I quite liked the English Dragon Ball OP and ending.

I actually prefer the English cover of "I'll give you romance" over the Japanese version.

*runs for cover*

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:12 am

I remember reading the reason why the insert songs weren't included was because Funimation would have had to pay Toei extra licensing costs. This only applied to using them in a newly created English dub. The Japanese track on the DVDs was not affected.
Last edited by DrBriefsCat on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8721 covers how various dubs dealt with insert songs...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:39 am

Sometimes licensing terms can vary depending on region.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I'd only want a new dub if Stephanie could come back as Goku. Which sadly wont be happening. :(
It doesn't have to be Stephanie but someone that sounds like a boy. I can tolerate Colleen as Gohan enough but her voice definitely doesn't fit Goku for me. Off hand I would have at least cast Kara Edwards for Goku with a more serious version of Goten's voice.
floofychan333 wrote:All the songs need to be in Japanese because they're better that way. Especially insert songs. Making the songs in English is just one of many ways in which Dragon Ball has been Americanized.
I agree. The songs should stay in Japanese. They just never sound right to the ear where the words are in english because it doesn't fit the harmony of the music due to the way words are pronounced. Its why hearing Dragon Soul in English sounded so awkward and even mediocre at worst. Blue Water's openings though are exemptions to me though.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:26 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I'd only want a new dub if Stephanie could come back as Goku. Which sadly wont be happening. :(
It doesn't have to be Stephanie but someone that sounds like a boy. I can tolerate Colleen as Gohan enough but her voice definitely doesn't fit Goku for me. Off hand I would have at least cast Kara Edwards for Goku with a more serious version of Goten's voice.
I agree. The songs should stay in Japanese. They just never sound right to the ear where the words are in english because it doesn't fit the harmony of the music due to the way words are pronounced. Its why hearing Dragon Soul in English sounded so awkward and even mediocre at worst. Blue Water's openings though are exemptions to me though.
"ALL you have TO Do" anyone? Yeah, Dragon Soul was a chance for them to be faithful to the original but they just blew it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Well the worst thing they can possibly do is remove the insert songs and just let silence play. That turned some amazing scenes into let-downs.

Sometimes I like what they do when they dub the songs, other times it really doesn't work, like what they've done with "Hello Hello Hello". The song is supposed to be about having grown up and remembering childhood, but America is such a messed up place it seems they can't even have a song about an adult noticing schoolkid's colourful backpacks without people getting weird vibes from it.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:10 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:

I agree with casting Kara Edwards as Kid Goku. Nadolny gets on my nerves and I can't stand listening to her anymore. I personally love Clinkenbeard as Gohan, but from what I've heard of her Kid Goku voice (as Goku GT in the Xenoverse series of games) she's horrendous.

I think Kara Edwards is a really good voice actress and I believe she could pull off something similar sounding to Goten, but not quite Goten, as a Kid Goku voice.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 am

I just want Chris Sabat to sing Wolf Hurricane for the lulz.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Is there a list somewhere of all the insert songs that were cut from the DB dub?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17 pm

I can't for the life of me understand the hatred Clinkenbeard gets for her Goku or the love Nadolny gets for Goku. Between Gohan and Goku, Nadolny is more bearable as the former. I guess I could go with Kara as young Goku. Her Goten has gotten better over the years.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 pm

ABED wrote:I can't for the life of me understand the hatred Clinkenbeard gets for her Goku or the love Nadolny gets for Goku. Between Gohan and Goku, Nadolny is more bearable as the former.
I'm the exact opposite. I can deal eith Nadolny's Goku but her Gohan is soooo bad. Especially when Gohan is suppose to be a pre-schooler.

And she was cast as Gohan/Henderson imitator first

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am

Robo4900 wrote:Is there a list somewhere of all the insert songs that were cut from the DB dub?
It would be a lot easier to list the ones that were kept in.

-With a Blazing Heart: Defeat the Red Ribbon Army

That's it.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327