Bootleg Merch

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Bootleg Merch

Post by ecrockedboston » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but haven't really recieved any feedback. So I figured I'd make a new thread to discuss bootlegs in general...

I recently saw an anime miscolor Vegeta Figuart at auction on Ebay. I wound up winning the auction for $15.75, and was then informed it'd be shipping from China. Couple that with the price, and I figured it must be a bootleg... Does anyone have any experience with Chinese knockoffs? It looks legit enough. Also, general bootleg thread (good or bad).
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bootleg Merch

Post by successoroffate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Have any pics for reference?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:16 pm

There are quite a few examples here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25169&hilit=worst+dragonball+toy

As you can see, most of them do NOT look "legit enough" as you say :lol:

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:56 pm

I meant the Vegeta one he bought.
-----
-----

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 am

I know, I just put that there because he said this should be a "general bootleg" thread so I was just linking to something that's full of bootleg stuff. Sorry for the confusion.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:31 am

Here's the url to the listing, if it still works http://m.ebay.com/itm/DBZ-Dragonball-Z- ... 86?txnId=0
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:39 am

That might actually not be a bootleg. In fact, that figure looks better than most DB figures that ever came out in the U.S.

In the very early Vegeta character model, those were his colors. When we first see Vegeta (when Raditz tells Piccolo that his comrades are listening) and then on the Arlia episode, those are Vegeta's colors.

When I was little, I went to China Town in NYC and saw a set of like 30 DB action figures whose faces and bodies all looked deformed and they truly were mis-colored. Kuririn's gi was blue, Super Saiyan Goku's hair was green, Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta's hair was gold. I don't even know why things like that exist. They weren't even called something different like "Dragon Orbes" or anything; they flat-out carried the Dragon Ball title.

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:That might actually not be a bootleg. In fact, that figure looks better than most DB figures that ever came out in the U.S.

In the very early Vegeta character model, those were his colors. When we first see Vegeta (when Raditz tells Piccolo that his comrades are listening) and then on the Arlia episode, those are Vegeta's colors.

When I was little, I went to China Town in NYC and saw a set of like 30 DB action figures whose faces and bodies all looked deformed and they truly were mis-colored. Kuririn's gi was blue, Super Saiyan Goku's hair was green, Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta's hair was gold. I don't even know why things like that exist. They weren't even called something different like "Dragon Orbes" or anything; they flat-out carried the Dragon Ball title.
This figure was released officially, colors and all. It's just a question of whether or not I got the official version or a knockoff.
-Memetic Lexicon

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:10 pm

It's unequivocally a bootleg. That was figure was only an SDCC exclusive IIRC so at that price and from China too definitely. The litmus test would be to ask the seller for an actual photo dated (I assume they used a stock one) because it should have the legitimate Toei Sticker on the box if it is official.

For Gashapon figures usually ask for or see if there are Bandai leaflets unless the seller is from Japan cuz everything from Japan will be legitimate.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Sorry, I got hung up on the "miscolor" that you put in your post.

If it's an exclusive to SDCC and "rare" figure (I'm not a connoisseur of figures so I wouldn't know), then yeah, I doubt you'd be getting it for $15 from China.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:18 pm

My very username and the avatar is a piece of bootleg merch. I actually own some Lele-brand DBZ minifigures because actual Lego Dragon Ball doesn't exist. It's a simulacrum in a way.
"Beek King" is actually a bootleg name for Piccolo in a few more products because of some Chinese machine translation glitch.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm not sure how to tell what's bootleg and what isn't but I think the 3 figurines I have are official. I've got a keychain with the 4 star ball and some weird straps with Kuririn, Majin Buu, Piccolo, Karin, and Kid Pan on them made by Halder that might be bootlegs.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:32 pm

If it's a bootleg...looks pretty close to the original. I guess we'll find out soon enough once you get it.
-----
-----

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:03 pm

This should help you
-----
-----

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:28 pm

successoroffate wrote:This should help you
I've seen this. The purchaser heavily implies that the one I got will be in the box on the left. I suppose that there are several variations of any given bootlegs. All things considered though, the one on the right is pretty good, and in a few areas, even has a better paint job.
-Memetic Lexicon

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:39 pm

ecrockedboston wrote:

I've seen this. The purchaser heavily implies that the one I got will be in the box on the left. I suppose that there are several variations of any given bootlegs. All things considered though, the one on the right is pretty good, and in a few areas, even has a better paint job.
To be honest, if you remove the labels saying "fake" or "real" I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
-----
-----

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 pm

successoroffate wrote:
ecrockedboston wrote:

To be honest, if you remove the labels saying "fake" or "real" I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.
I'm with you. There are so many "fake" figuarts that seem way more than passable. They might even be preferable when considering the price.
-Memetic Lexicon

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 pm

China, you say? Most definitely 100% a bootleg. I have an almost complete set of the DBZ Figuarts line. This Vegeta has 2 bootlegs, the one in the comparison picture which is the Datong bootleg and then there's one by a no name bootleg company. You'll most likely be getting the latter and that one is complete garbage. The joints are super loose and you won't be able to stand him up let alone get him into any poses.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:41 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:China, you say? Most definitely 100% a bootleg. I have an almost complete set of the DBZ Figuarts line. This Vegeta has 2 bootlegs, the one in the comparison picture which is the Datong bootleg and then there's one by a no name bootleg company. You'll most likely be getting the latter and that one is complete garbage. The joints are super loose and you won't be able to stand him up let alone get him into any poses.
Plan on keeping him boxed anyway, so as long as he looks pretty.
-Memetic Lexicon

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:31 am

Guku hahah