Was Toryiama going to write Vegeta as a gay character? Can anyone confirm?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Was Toryiama going to write Vegeta as a gay character? Can anyone confirm?

Post by successoroffate » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Did he get that from one of those Youtube videos?
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:29 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Well, all I feel is sexual tension in that Majin Vegeta fight. :D
With how cobat heavy Saiyans are, I wouldn't be surprised if fighting was their version of sex in some way.
Rage and humiliation are sexual tension?
The funny thing is, this is qualifies the category for Some
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 pm

No, this isn't confirmable at all. Why would AT write a powerful and non-offensively portrayed gay character a handful of years after portraying General Blue offensively? (Yeah, it was mostly Toei that portrayed General Blue in a terrible manner, but I believe in the uncensored manga, Kuririn calls Blue a f*****t). Whoever wrote this almost certainly made it up. Not that I'm against gay characters in DB in any way.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Chuquita wrote:If it's not on Kanzenshuu's main site I take any rumor with grains of salt.

Toriyama shys away from writing any romance period. Outside of Future Trunks and Future Mai, romance is used as a plot device to create more characters.

Vegeta's not human, he has saiyan morality and their society values battle more than sex (and if you count Minus that's part of why there's so few saiyan; few have kids because they're too busy seeking out strong opponents) so really unless there's a plot reason for Vegeta to explain general saiyan views on sexuality it'll remain an unknown.
You mean stuff like this is only factual:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ll-arc-06/

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm

floofychan333 wrote:No, this isn't confirmable at all. Why would AT write a powerful and non-offensively portrayed gay character a handful of years after portraying General Blue offensively? (Yeah, it was mostly Toei that portrayed General Blue in a terrible manner, but I believe in the uncensored manga, Kuririn calls Blue a f*****t). Whoever wrote this almost certainly made it up. Not that I'm against gay characters in DB in any way.
When did he call blue a f*****t? Do you have a source?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm

DBSQA wrote:
Chuquita wrote:If it's not on Kanzenshuu's main site I take any rumor with grains of salt.

Toriyama shys away from writing any romance period. Outside of Future Trunks and Future Mai, romance is used as a plot device to create more characters.

Vegeta's not human, he has saiyan morality and their society values battle more than sex (and if you count Minus that's part of why there's so few saiyan; few have kids because they're too busy seeking out strong opponents) so really unless there's a plot reason for Vegeta to explain general saiyan views on sexuality it'll remain an unknown.
That's a lot of interview; which part specifically are you talking about?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DBSQA wrote:

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DBSQA wrote:

The interviews in general I mean, I just used that as an example

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Interviews with Toriyama that are translated and posted by Kanzenshuu are official; if it hits all those qualifications it's canon to me. Stuff like the Q&A in the link you provided even made their way into Super--that Kanzenshuu-posted interview you linked talks about 17's park ranger job.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:Interviews with Toriyama that are translated and posted by Kanzenshuu are official; if it hits all those qualifications it's canon to me. Stuff like the Q&A in the link you provided even made their way into Super--that Kanzenshuu-posted interview you linked talks about 17's park ranger job.
Speaking of 17, do you know what the MIR on his shirt mean?

And in the comments on the guys post he/she says when Vegeta cared so much about his clothes and about the older armor not being fashionable that was "the beginning of toriyama portarying him as a gay character" but that "he felt it would be a bigger twist on Vegeta if he had him pair up with Bulma"

Another thing, I thought 17 was also a park ranger in DBZ? Where he forced those Poachers to give up their energy to Goku's spirit bomb

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Also, why was Dragonball even brought up in that post? No matter the credulity of it. It has nothing but a thin, thin thread connected to the post as a whole.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:Also, why was Dragonball even brought up in that post? No matter the credulity of it. It has nothing but a thin, thin thread connected to the post as a whole.
Yeah it does seem weird that they brought it up, but considering the fact that the Facebook page in general is about Teamfourstar's Vegeta not really.But the story itself is not related to dragon ball or teamfourstar.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Toriyama created Vegeta in 1980's. There was no social pressure like today to include cool gay characters XD Not even Jojo no Kimyou Na Bouken utilisesd gay characters. Zarbon was a Jojo, he wasn't gay.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:Toriyama created Vegeta in 1980's. There was no social pressure like today to include cool gay characters XD Not even Jojo no Kimyou Na Bouken utilisesd gay characters. Zarbon was a Jojo, he wasn't gay.
With just a few short years, Dragon Ball's shoujo equal - Sailormoon - had rather openly gay characters in it. I'm not sure if you're intending this, but for anyone else out there reading this, let's please not reduce this down to "SJWs ruining my Dragon Ball".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:29 pm

DBSQA wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Interviews with Toriyama that are translated and posted by Kanzenshuu are official; if it hits all those qualifications it's canon to me. Stuff like the Q&A in the link you provided even made their way into Super--that Kanzenshuu-posted interview you linked talks about 17's park ranger job.

And in the comments on the guys post he/she says when Vegeta cared so much about his clothes and about the older armor not being fashionable that was "the beginning of toriyama portarying him as a gay character" but that "he felt it would be a bigger twist on Vegeta if he had him pair up with Bulma"

Another thing, I thought 17 was also a park ranger in DBZ? Where he forced those Poachers to give up their energy to Goku's spirit bomb
Again, entirely unsubstantiated.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm

DBSQA wrote:

MIR? No clue. Name of the park he ranges?

Vegeta also laments over temporarily losing his good looks before going Oozaru in the saiyan arc, but caring about one's appearance doesn't necessarily indicate sexuality. It's pure self confidence if anything. For that matter Gokû refers to himself as good looking when he asks the worms inside Buu about Gohan's location (and then Vegeta gives Gokû this "Really, Kakarrotto?" reaction face) but that's filler. I guess Gokû being upset at losing his body to Ginyu is a more manga answer.

All I know of that was it was supposed to be Lunch and he changed it after.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:Toriyama created Vegeta in 1980's. There was no social pressure like today to include cool gay characters XD Not even Jojo no Kimyou Na Bouken utilisesd gay characters. Zarbon was a Jojo, he wasn't gay.
With just a few short years, Dragon Ball's shoujo equal - Sailormoon - had rather openly gay characters in it. I'm not sure if you're intending this, but for anyone else out there reading this, let's please not reduce this down to "SJWs ruining my Dragon Ball".
This is true.

But, the person who wrote Sailormoon was a lady ;P

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DBSQA wrote:

MIR? No clue. Name of the park he ranges?

Vegeta also laments over temporarily losing his good looks before going Oozaru in the saiyan arc, but caring about one's appearance doesn't necessarily indicate sexuality. It's pure self confidence if anything. For that matter Gokû refers to himself as good looking when he asks the worms inside Buu about Gohan's location (and then Vegeta gives Gokû this "Really, Kakarrotto?" reaction face) but that's filler. I guess Gokû being upset at losing his body to Ginyu is a more manga answer.

All I know of that was it was supposed to be Lunch and he changed it after.
Yeah I heard that, but since he changed it I'm pretty sure that scene offically belongs to 17.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:But, the person who wrote Sailormoon was a lady ;P
OK... and...? Not sure what you're trying to get at. Men are fully capable of writing gay characters, too. See: Akira Toriyama. See: General Blue.

Sure, it's a pretty horrible portrayal, and it's made a billion times worse in the TV adaptation, but (insert larger discussion here that we've all had several times over that really isn't within the confines of this more specific conversation).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm not sure how a gay character would be different from a straight character in a fighting-based anime. So, he'd marry a guy instead of Bulma and they'd adopt (highly doubtful for Vegeta) or Vegeta's husband would use his genetics to make a kid (a little more probable). But other than "slide-of-life" episodes, it would not make any difference. Unless, of course, Vegeta would be hitting on guys during their battles or doing the stereotypical "gay guy" things like getting upset that his armor was dusty. But really, what difference would it make? He happened to be straight. Judging by how Blue was handled, though, I'm very happy that Vegeta didn't turn out like that. I don't know if someone like Akira Toriyama is capable of writing for a "cool gay" character.

But again, all of this is moot and speculation, as Vegeta obviously turned out to be straight. Well... I mean, there's still time and anything can happen in Super. But I sincerely doubt that the story will turn to Vegeta leaving his family for a guy (or anyone, really); talk about making him totally irredeemable.