Which came first Lapis Lazuli Steven universe or Lapis Lazuli Dragon ball Androids?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Which came first Lapis Lazuli Steven universe or Lapis Lazuli Dragon ball Androids?

Post by DBSQA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:49 am

I fell like dragon ball named the androids before Steven Universe named the Gems. I just want to make sure.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Which came first Lapis Lazuli Steven universe or Lapis Lazuli Dragon ball Androids?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:58 am

For the record, lapis lazuli is an actual name for an actual stone, and I'm sure there are plenty of literary examples using that as a name predating either Dragon Ball or Steven Universe.

The names for the characters in Dragon Ball were assigned in a Q&A session in the back of Dragon Ball Full Color: Artificial Humans & Cell Arc Volume #06, which hit store shelves in Japan 02 May 2014.

It looks like Lapis first appeared in Steven Universe in the episode "Mirror Gem" which initially aired 25 September 2014. I've only seen a little bit of the show, and know nothing about its production or fandom, so I can't speak to whether or not said character was revealed prior to their debut in the show itself.

And just to cut it off before anyone else tosses out said trivia, yes, I'm aware that there is a reference to Dr. Gero in the episode "Nightmare Hospital" and that the show hosts a huge amount of other references/homages to various anime! :)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Which came first Lapis Lazuli Steven universe or Lapis Lazuli Dragon ball Androids?

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 pm

...wasn't this thread locked a few hours ago? If so, why can I post in it?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Lapis and Lazuli could have been a thought when the androids were originally designed and simply not revealed until recently. I hope this is true because I truly dislike Steven Universe and I already hate the fact that they've made Dragon Ball references in the show.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Lapis and Lazuli could have been a thought when the androids were originally designed and simply not revealed until recently. I hope this is true because I truly dislike Steven Universe and I already hate the fact that they've made Dragon Ball references in the show.
I'm of the idea that Toriyama never even thought of their "original names" back in the early 90's , given his nature of writing his own story and characters.

He probably heard the names recently somewhere else and just decided to make it official at the last minute without much thought, perhaps to shut the fans up.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 pm

As someone who stopped watching SU a while back and never participated in the fandom seeing as how incredibly toxic most of it seemed to be, one of the things that started me on dropping them was they ripped off a scene from Cowboy Bebop wholesale; an emotional scene from Bebop too--it felt so cheap! It's one thing to steal a battle scene or a comedy scene, but taking an emotional moment of Faye's and repurposing it for themselves felt wrong imo.

Hell, one of their big tenant things (fusion dance) is taken from Dragon Ball and somehow that didn't bother me as much as the Bebop theft.

I don't know.

I'm surprised to see the 17 & 18 thing happened only months before. I recall both events happening really close together so I didn't know who came first.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Which scene was it? I'm curious!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Which scene was it? I'm curious!
You know the Bebop episode where Spike and Jet go into the sewers looking for the beta tape player? And it has scenes of young Faye on it and it's a really poignant ending; SU ripped it off only its Rose on the videotape talking to Steven (her future self) about the future instead of child Faye talking to herself about the future.

It's the episode of Bebop called "Speak Like a Child".

Edit: here's the Bebop scene - https://youtu.be/QW9ml97UXjs
Last edited by Chuquita on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 pm

That's the copy? You know that Cowboy Bebop doesnt own that plot? The similarities are so tenous I'm left scratching my head here. Not that I malign you for not liking SU.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That's the copy? You know that Cowboy Bebop doesnt own that plot? The similarities are so tenous I'm left scratching my head here. Not that I malign you for not liking SU.
I didn't get the link in before the reply. It was this scene: https://youtu.be/QW9ml97UXjs

I'm not entirely sure why it bothers me. I think it's the difference between stealing plot stuff for a laugh vs stealing plot stuff for a cry. The latter bothers me. I'm sure they did it because someone there loves Bebop, but to me it felt disingenuous somehow.

But then, I also felt Peridot's heel turn was rushed for the sake of pushing the plot along, and that the show became more preachy than entertaining as it went on. I wasn't interested in the lore of the gem home world and I liked oneshot episodes better. I'd already dropped Adventure Time when it was clear they weren't going to resolve their lore anytime soon and I wasn't about to fall into a similar trap with SU (it's a miracle I still follow the One Piece manga).

It's strange because most of the time I just lose interest in something (as mentioned, Adventure Time; also Doctor Who - I was into that for a couple years and just gradually lost interest but still think fondly on it), but SU is one of the few where I went from liking to disliking and I think it's because I genuinely enjoyed the earlier, lighter format. It's probably a dislike that stems from a disappointment in the show growing the beard and me just not being into that.

What I saw of most of its fandom didn't help either. The show's all about tolerance, but most of the SU fandom that I saw seemed uncomfortably militant in this "everything must be done this exact way or else" which is why I never got involved.

My whole shtick with fanworks is doing things my own way; I never would've functioned in such a strict atmosphere where you adhere to canon or else.

The Dragon Ball fandom has a wide selection of subcommunities and they're cool with you expressing yourself. Everyone's got their own opinion and headcanons and it's generally relaxed. Even disagreements aren't that bad.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 am

Hey you like One Piece! I know it sounds like you are about to drop it, but I'm glad someone here likes it!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey you like One Piece! I know it sounds like you are about to drop it, but I'm glad someone here likes it!
I do like One Piece.
The current arc is actually helping me hang on to One Piece. They almost lost me at Dressrosa, but I'm really enjoying Whole Cake Island. I can't wait to see--
[spoiler]--Sanji and Luffy crash the wedding.[/spoiler]

I hope Oda's doing ok health wise. He keeps taking breaks every four or five weeks.
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 am

YEAH! That's going to be awesome. Dressrosa was hard for many to stomach, I didnt hate it but didnt love it either.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Danfun64 wrote:...wasn't this thread locked a few hours ago? If so, why can I post in it?
I don't remember it being locked
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey you like One Piece! I know it sounds like you are about to drop it, but I'm glad someone here likes it!
I thought one piece ended? Some people were freaking out over a long-lasting manga ending.
Chuquita wrote:As someone who stopped watching SU a while back and never participated in the fandom seeing as how incredibly toxic most of it seemed to be, one of the things that started me on dropping them was they ripped off a scene from Cowboy Bebop wholesale; an emotional scene from Bebop too--it felt so cheap! It's one thing to steal a battle scene or a comedy scene, but taking an emotional moment of Faye's and repurposing it for themselves felt wrong imo.

Hell, one of their big tenant things (fusion dance) is taken from Dragon Ball and somehow that didn't bother me as much as the Bebop theft.

I don't know.

I'm surprised to see the 17 & 18 thing happened only months before. I recall both events happening really close together so I didn't know who came first.
I never watched SU I just looked at some scenes and decided it was a bad show. But there is a difference between being inspired and being a rip off, according to your post it seems to be a rip off.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 pm

DBSQA wrote:
I thought one piece ended? Some people were freaking out over a long-lasting manga ending.
You really are too new to the internet, arent you? It was Naruto. And if it wasnt that then it was KochiKame.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
DBSQA wrote:
You really are too new to the internet, arent you? It was Naruto. And if it wasnt that then it was KochiKame.
No I just forget the name of the manga. Also, Kanzenshuu is not the internet.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:29 am

DBSQA wrote:
Chuquita wrote:As someone who stopped watching SU a while back and never participated in the fandom seeing as how incredibly toxic most of it seemed to be, one of the things that started me on dropping them was they ripped off a scene from Cowboy Bebop wholesale; an emotional scene from Bebop too--it felt so cheap! It's one thing to steal a battle scene or a comedy scene, but taking an emotional moment of Faye's and repurposing it for themselves felt wrong imo.

I don't know.

I never watched SU I just looked at some scenes and decided it was a bad show. But there is a difference between being inspired and being a rip off, according to your post it seems to be a rip off.
If I wasn't so familiar with Cowboy Bebop I wouldn't have noticed it, and if it wasn't a scene meant to invoke tears it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

I only got into SU temporarily because I used to watch Adventure Time and heard one of its creators (the one who did the songs) left to create SU and I was like "Oh, I liked Adventure Time's musical episodes, maybe this'll be good." I definitely made a mistake; it ended up being a case of diminishing returns. As the show got too serious for me even the fun "songs that don't rhyme" novelty wore off. The later songs are too Broadway for me; people were lauding them and I'm sitting there going "this song needs more words" or "does this scene need to be a song?" that's when I knew SU wasn't for me and left for good. The stolen Bebop scene and the rushed Peridot heel turn were just incidents leading up to it.

I have no hard feelings, the series just isn't my bag anymore.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am

I enjoyed Steven Universe for a while, but it's fallen to the bottom of my priorities list of late. Maybe if Cartoon Network didn't put it on random hiatuses with no explanation or idea of when it'll end, I'd have stuck with it, but because of how stupid the airing schedule is, I ended up moving on to other shows that I actually enjoy more, and I haven't kept up with any of the most recent batch or two.

It is a good show, but IMO there's better stuff out there.

(Also, I never thought "Stronger Than You" was anything special)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:35 am

Chuquita wrote:
DBSQA wrote:

I don't know.

If I wasn't so familiar with Cowboy Bebop I wouldn't have noticed it, and if it wasn't a scene meant to invoke tears it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

I only got into SU temporarily because I used to watch Adventure Time and heard one of its creators (the one who did the songs) left to create SU and I was like "Oh, I liked Adventure Time's musical episodes, maybe this'll be good." I definitely made a mistake; it ended up being a case of diminishing returns. As the show got too serious for me even the fun "songs that don't rhyme" novelty wore off. The later songs are too Broadway for me; people were lauding them and I'm sitting there going "this song needs more words" or "does this scene need to be a song?" that's when I knew SU wasn't for me and left for good. The stolen Bebop scene and the rushed Peridot heel turn were just incidents leading up to it.

I have no hard feelings, the series just isn't my bag anymore.
Yeah I only know about SU since my younger siblings watch that show. I don't know why but they like it.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 pm

It makes sense on why #17 and #18 names are lapiz and lazuli is because there eye color,but seriously this thread is going nowhere,so I demand a lock here,the answer has been already solved,oh and a sweet cowboy Bebop, Is nice seeing people mentioned it
Mostly active on discord.