What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 am

I couldn't tell you what part of the show itself ever turned me on or off, only my level of interest in relation in relation to a general time-scale.

I have very hazy memory cause reasons, so it's hard to recall the specifics. I'll just map it out to the best of my ability:

• -I remember watching when I was as young as 5 or 6 (in 2005 maybe?). I had older step-brothers and their friends who were into it, so I had some kind of awareness of the fandom at large. I was also into the video games, and I did check out Z online for quite a while (This was probably around 2007-2008).

After that, there was a huge lapse in interest, since I was a very fickle child. (Contender: 2-4 year gap)

-I remember Dragon Ball Evolution advertisements, but never had any interest. Honestly, I haven't seen the whole movie even to this day. In 2010 or 2011, I watched Kai for a little while. My memories are especially hazy here, I can't even remember my level of interest, but it was enough that I distinctly remember watching it. Either way, it was certainly gone by late 2012-2013, since the Battle of Gods craze totally flew by me.

2011-2015 (Contender: 3-4 year gap)

-2015: I get bored, then remember Dragon Ball exists, decided that I wanted to watch the whole show. Once I'm done, I realize that there are 2 more movies than I remembered, and then I learned that Dragon Ball Super was a thing that existed (It was only about 4 episodes in at the time, but I didn't start watching until the RoF Arc was almost over). I've been an active fan since then.

So I've actually had two times where I totally lacked interest. I'd venture to say that the second gap was probably the least I've ever cared about the show. It never even crossed my mind to the best of my memory.

2011/2012 through 2015 was my Picco-low. That's my official answer.
Retired.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 am

The spring before the summer they announced BOG. I was very close to leaving the fandom since I felt like I'd seen everything and most others I knew had vanished and/or moved on.

And then suddenly "Hey we're doing a movie!" and here I am still.

If we're talking Super-wise, my interest is pretty low atm (I'm the only one not excited about tournament arc Part 2 it feels like), but nowhere near spring of 2012 low with general Dragon Ball.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 am

2006-2009 was my first real drought. I still played the PS2 games, but I never bothered to watch the show.

During 2010(?) when Kai was on TV, I git back into it for a little while. I remember looking up episodes online and found the Japanese version of the Cell arc. That was the first time I watched the series in Japanese. Fast forward another year, I lost interest again.

2011(?)-2013 was my second and perhaps biggest drought from the series. I payed little to no attention to anything DB, didn't buy any of the Xbox 360/PS3 games (other than Burst Limit when it came out), and just lacked any motivation to go back.

Fast forward to Battle of Gods, and that was when my fandom came back in full force. I became invested again and ended up watching all of DB/Z in Japanese. And here I am today, watching a new Dragon Ball show weekly.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 am

Of the whole near-19 year period I've been a follower of this series, I'd have to say GT was my low point (no, I'm not a "GT Basher", I just really dislike it. If I try to look at Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball GT as one long narrative, the ending could just about ruin it for me. What I did was just look at DB - DBZ as the narrative, and kinda ignored GT. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint), Super has come along.

The other low point has been the Super Saiyan forms. Super Saiyan is great, SSJ2, fine, SSJ3, okay, but I always really hated SSJ4. Like with GT itself, I took to kinda ignoring it. However, with Super we've got the horrifically-named Super Saiyan God Super Super God Saiyan Super God Saiyan Super Super Saiyan God. Every time I've heard that or seen it written down, I've died a little inside. Still not found a way around this one yet...
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:35 am

Super, BOG

The moment I saw Egyptian Cat in BOG, I knew its gonna be a curse to DB franchise

A Piccolo-LOW moment for me was when he fled like a scared biyotch when Fat Buu regenerated post Majin Veggie's sacrifice.

I mean I respect Piccolo as a character, but Toriyama totally made Piccolo scared biyotch in that moment

UltraPerfectCellZ

Post by UltraPerfectCellZ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 am

Probably around 2010-2012 for me. The novelty of Kai was wearing off, and the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast formula was getting stale. The only things still going for me in that period were the international Dragon Box releases.
Once that first image of the incomplete Battle of Gods poster surfaced, the series once again kicked my excitement into overdrive.
Proudly lurking the forums since '09

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:55 am

My lowest point was around 2008-09, right after the season sets came out and I went for a while not watching or reading any DB.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You know the 90's Spiderman ALSO didnt end up resolving anything. I love it with all my heart though.-
The only real dangling plot thread was MJ's disappearance. The ending is very satisfying. It's very meta!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 am

I know I said that to defend Spectacular, but MJ wasnt in any danger, Peter was just going to see her and she's safe so there's no real cliffhanger there. I want to copy and paste what Mr Semper said about the ending but I cant find it.

Also REALLY happy to see so much love for 90's Spidey!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:34 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know I said that to defend Spectacular, but MJ wasnt in any danger, Peter was just going to see her and she's safe so there's no real cliffhanger there. I want to copy and paste what Mr Semper said about the ending but I cant find it.

Also REALLY happy to see so much love for 90's Spidey!
I was talking about the 90's show. MJ disappeared into another dimension. It was their version of Gwen Stacy's death. They never resolved that story.

After having seen all of DB multiple times, and living in an era of instant gratification, I don't think my fandom for the show will ever get as high as it was at its peak (from 97-00)
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:05 am

Me too! Greg Weisman wrote Spectacular. 90's Spidey was written by John Semper Jr who has said what I just told you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Me too! Greg Weisman wrote Spectacular. 90's Spidey was written by John Semper Jr who has said what I just told you.
Who are you replying to?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:18 am

You! I KNOW Mary Jane is in that Dimentional Vortex but like I told you, the Head Writer said she's fine. She isnt in any danger Peter DOES save her but Offscreen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:20 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You! I KNOW Mary Jane is in that Dimentional Vortex but like I told you, the Head Writer said she's fine. She isnt in any danger Peter DOES save her but Offscreen.
It doesn't matter what he said, what we were shown says otherwise. It constitutes a cliffhanger because we are never shown that she's okay. The story wasn't resolved on screen. And if Spidey saves her off-screen, that's just awful writing.
Last edited by ABED on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 am

LOL I guess you are right lol.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:LOL I guess you are right lol.
That said, the final episode is friggin brilliant.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 am

Guess my all time low on the series was when I got hooked up with Gintama and now 7 deadly sins, even now they're my priority over Dragon Ball Super or any DB related things.
Gintama>>>>NNT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DBS.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I didn't touch the series between ... '04 and '07, probably? End of middle school through early high school, after the U.S. GT run was over, at least for home releases, though I think I stopped following it long before the TV airing was done.

I just didn't have the time of day for it. But can you blame me, having only seen the FUNimation dub other than the few parts of the series I owned on DVD? Plus, you know, I was a teen, and trying to do cool teen things.

The thing that got me back into it, funnily enough, was being gifted Budokai Tenkaichi 2 along with a Wii for Christmas. Weren't too many titles at launch, so my parents grabbed it. Despite not being thrilled with the idea, I had a ton of fun with the game. The first orange brick had either just come out or was right around the corner, so my interest was piqued enough to grab such a cheap set. Wound up watching more of the show through in Japanese and cottoned onto its actual tone and whimsy more than I ever had before, which went done much better with me as an older teen. Pretty much stayed a fan of it ever since.

I've since given each anime series its own sequential run as the various home releases came out (I skipped the orange bricks after the first three, but picked up the Dragon Boxes as they came out), and got to do one chronological run from the beginning of Dragon Ball through the end of Z through in Japanese with a girlfriend who was watching it for the first time. I've found more and more that Toriyama's sensibilities are what draw me to the series, and have been making my way through his other manga in a mix of English and Japanese.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:44 pm

For me it was during the time I was in highschool. I can't remember the exact lowest point since I had never really dropped the series fully. I would still get the occasional game and watch some of my favorite bits from time to time.

But I showed more interest in getting back into it when Kai was announced to get a new dub. "Cool" I thought to myself. " A new way for younger people to get into the show." And I thought that was the end of that. But then Battle of Gods comes out and I'm even more interested. "Sweet! Something new! But after this that's probably going to be it forever. No need to get super excited about anything."

BAM! Ressurection F! "Still more!? Golly gee this is neat. But I can't imagine getting anymore. What else is there? I know one thing for certain though. We aren't getting a new series."

KA-KRASH!! The Dragonball franchise busts in through the wall like the kool-aid man! Dragon Ball Super in tow. "HEY!" Says the franchise. "You thought you could just ditch me!? Think you can keep ignoring me? Nuh-uh boy. You're with me for LIFE!"

I've been handcuffed to the franchise ever since. Send help.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

The only time I was truly out of DB are the years when the new 2 movies were announced.Unfortunately I didn't feel the hype they brought along.However,I decided to watch some random Kai episodes because I was bored & boom,I fell in love with it again.It was around the time Super was announced & my love for the franchise only continued to grow from that point on
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 pm

2004 after the series went off the air for a bit and Naruto blew up. It stayed like that for me until they started releasing the UUE and Orange Bricks