Shoehorning GT after Super.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Shoehorning GT after Super.

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 am

Can be done?
Lets say some upper exective gives the order. The Documents be damned, The Room get franticaly to work. Retcon, butching, twisting.

How could be done? Forget smoothness, forget even desirability or consequence. Just make it happen.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Shoehorning GT after Super.

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am

If they wanted, I wouldn't mind them using the same concepts from GT so they could redo it after Super is done. I don't see that happening but I think it would be neat.

Mostly because I just want to see the shadow dragons be a thing again.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 am

DragonBallLove wrote:Can be done?
Lets say some upper exective gives the order. The Documents be damned, The Room get franticaly to work. Retcon, butching, twisting.

How could be done? Forget smoothness, forget even desirability or consequence. Just make it happen.
Simple. Goku, or somebody wins the tournament and wishes Goku had never met Beerus. Time rewinds, none of this ever happens including the Trunks arc. EoZ and thus GT continue as normal.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 am

Or Super could all have just been a dream, like in Dallas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 am

There's not much to discuss if Toei literally forgets smoothness, desirability or consequences. If they want to "make it happen", it'll just happen. Super will end before Oob's reveal and make no further additions to the lore, besides "wow look at all of this crazy stuff that happened that we'll never talk about ever again." Lazy to the max, but totally possible. There would be zero butchering or twisting.

If the ~={DRAGON BALL ROOM}=~ wants to shoehorn GT in, all they would need to add are some references to later material (I'm looking at you, God of Destruction Mosco) and some hand-wavey explanation as to why the Gods don't mess with Earthlings anymore. As TheMikado mentioned, some time shenanigans might be necessary, but not only is that a huge universal crime - it would effectively render Dragon Ball Super one GIANT WASTE OF TIME. Almost as bad as saying the entire show was a dre- ...goddammit, ABED.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:41 am

Right now GT is seen as an alternate universe the same the movies and it'll be impossible to to take part after everything we had so far in Super.

There are two options to choose from:

A- Adapt GT's plot lines but retool it to be in line with Super's events.

B- Using the Dragon Balls or by action from one of the gods of the series, the entirety of Super will be erased from existence and we end with no one remembering anything from Beerus's first visit to whatever point Super plans to end. No Super Saiyan God, no Resurrection F, no universe tournaments, nothing. Life goes on as it was from Boo's defeat till the canon end of Z.

Point A can work if Toei is planning to go that far. But if they'd go with plan B then they'll make the worst decision in the entirety of the franchise as it will render the entire series pointless and all the times and effort went into these events will amount to nothing.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 am

Lunaar wrote:Some references to later material (I'm looking at you, God of Destruction Mosco)
"His essence is worshipped by countless thralls in the Twelve Universes! Weapons of mass destruction made in his likeness!" --like that? :D
Locking / erasing god power from Goku and Vegeta would be a must. Aging the Pilaf Trio somehow too (a bad wish? counting the first one and the GT one, that would make three, thus fitting the double trope of three wasted wishes).
Lunaar wrote:...the Gods don't mess with Earthlings anymore.
For Beerus is way easy: he's sleeping.
TheMikado wrote:Time rewinds, none of this ever happens including the Trunks arc. EoZ and thus GT continue as normal.
ABED wrote:Or Super could all have just been a dream, like in Dallas.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:There are two options to choose from: A & B
Time rewind and "todo fue un sueño" are far too easy. But truly possible for a (motherfucking) corporate mind.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:it'll be impossible to to take part after everything we had so far in Super

Code: Select all

"Shinobi, boy, pack your things and vacant your site by 12:00 m. You're fired", the chief Shueisha executive said. He was not to be triffled with, as he was very clear. GT should follow Super. And if heads would fall because of that, the whole world be damned... Even the worker's union.
Not suggesting that I'm a chief executive of nothing!!! Just following the reasoning of the original question and being the Devil's advocate :P
Way I'm asking here, is more of fine surgery (ok, not that fine) than a general butchering and killing of the subject. Make Frankenstein's Monster if you wish, but please keep it moving.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:56 am

Time rewind and "todo fue un sueño" are far too easy. But truly possible for a (motherfucking) corporate mind.
What do you mean by corporate mind and why is it a pejorative? Are you assuming that it was the corporate higher ups who decided to retcon the entire season?

Also, I was just joking.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm

GT was a dud, Super was not. The marketability of Super is much higher, there is no need to shoehorn GT at all regardless of whether they can or not, any hold overs from that ie SS4 is now being marketed to the higher end collectors with these expensive-ish figures coming out.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:GT was a dud, Super was not. The marketability of Super is much higher, there is no need to shoehorn GT at all regardless of whether they can or not, any hold overs from that ie SS4 is now being marketed to the higher end collectors with these expensive-ish figures coming out.
That wasn't the question though
Can be done?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 pm

I don't think there's any conceivable way to fit GT after Super at this point, unless some sort of retcon happens that completely erases the events of everything in BoG, RoF, the tournament arcs, and the stuff with Zamasu and Black.

Of course, even then, that still wouldn't explain why Hell in GT looks so much different than it does in Super.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don't think there's any conceivable way to fit GT after Super at this point, unless some sort of retcon happens that completely erases the events of everything in BoG, RoF, the tournament arcs, and the stuff with Zamasu and Black.

Of course, even then, that still wouldn't explain why Hell in GT looks so much different than it does in Super.
GTs Hell is more consistent with Anime Z Hell filler, so if Super got erased it wouldn't matter. GT would essentially be based the original anime run.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

ABED wrote:
What do you mean by corporate mind and why is it a pejorative? Are you assuming that it was the corporate higher ups who decided to retcon the entire season?
I'm assuming, just a mental exercise, what is stated in the OP. That a executive orders it against all logic and coherence. And no pejorative unless you think ruthlessness and profit-driven interest are wrong for bussiness people (which I don't). The MFing was in its intense aception, even a positive one.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Zen-Chan erases everyone's minds and the last episode ties in with EoZ (Highly unlikely).
Second choice, Retell GT at the end of Super so all the new elements from Super like Beerus and SSBlue appear on GT. As long as Super does not retell the end of Z, there's always a chance. The worst thing that can happen after the Universe Survival saga is over? Super doing a timeskip going beyond EoZ, something a la 100 years later special.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Make a cliffhanger for GT without even changing a thing and wait for the fan rants.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Without going the lazy route of having a time reset, it could be done, it would just need a lot of seemingly unnecessary changes.

Pilaf gathers the DBs again and fucks up his wish to return to their normal age, thus they become old.
Kaioshin and Kibito fuse to face some kind of new foe.
Beerus, Whis and any other of the Gods die or they forbid Goku from contacting them.
They lose God ki.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm

After the Universe Survival arc, some really bad shit happens as a result of the Tournament of Power, which is ultimately the result of Beerus and co. interacting with Goku and co.

Someone travels to the past, and makes sure Beerus doesn't wake up. Or, if he does wake up, he doesn't remember Super Saiyan God. Or, if he does remember, he doesn't pursue it. Regardless, Beerus never goes to Earth, no Super Saiyan God, Goku and Vegeta never train with Whis, no Super Saiyan Blue, Freeza's resurrection is stopped immediately because Goku and Vegeta aren't gone, no Golden Freeza, no tournament against Universe 6, no Zeno meeting Goku, no Zamasu wanting Goku's power, no Tournament of Power, no "really bad shit" resulting from it.

28th Tenkaichi Budokai eventually happens as usual, leading into GT.

Super Saiyan Ikari

Post by Super Saiyan Ikari » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:Without going the lazy route of having a time reset, it could be done, it would just need a lot of seemingly unnecessary changes.

Pilaf gathers the DBs again and fucks up his wish to return to their normal age, thus they become old.
Kaioshin and Kibito fuse to face some kind of new foe.
Beerus, Whis and any other of the Gods die or they forbid Goku from contacting them.
They lose God ki.
This is actually how I would like it to be. I'm actually a big fan of GT and I'd love it if they tie them in.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Having GT still be canon is completely impossible. If SSJ4 was canon and somehow stronger than SSGSS, then there's no explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta wouldn't have tried to go SSG or SSGSS after SSJ3 was too weak.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Having GT still be canon is completely impossible. If SSJ4 was canon and somehow stronger than SSGSS, then there's no explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta wouldn't have tried to go SSG or SSGSS after SSJ3 was too weak.
People not using or saying anything has nothing to do with any impossibility. I do not know why people always think that. A form that exists and just is not used is not contradictory to the rest. It is illogical if anything that they choose not to use it, but not impossible.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"