Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Does Toriyama listen to his fans?

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Not only that he doesn't, he has at times gone out of his way to do the opposite of what people asked for or expected.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
coola wrote:Considering how each fan have different story in mind, he would get crazy, if he tried to please everyone :D
He's not likely one to listen to anyone because most people do not understand his writing or his vision anyway. lol. The only people who do are those that understand the roots of Toriyama's influences like the "Dao of Dragonball" Blog; which very few people do. If most of the western fanbase doesn't understand the series at all as is, they surely will not understand Toriyama's vision let alone the themes of his work to suggest plausible additions. I can imagine if there was a contest or poll for ideas, the western fans would just want their shitty broly knock-off fan characters to be inserted or SS3 God Bardock. Pandering to these fans is just how we got "Super Saiyan Rage" and the Gary-Stu Trunks in Super.

The only things people can really build off of are what Toei creates, and for the most part the producers behind the original movies and the concept of GT in the 90s (pre-Heroes) were in the right direction and at least felt consistent with the tones of the initial Z series.
It's not even the lack of understanding. If this was an American show we were discussing, the point would still remain the same - it's a bad idea to take advice from "the fans".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: I can imagine if there was a contest or poll for ideas, the western fans would just want their shitty broly knock-off fan characters to be inserted or SS3 God Bardock. Pandering to these fans is just how we got "Super Saiyan Rage" and the Gary-Stu Trunks in Super.

The only things people can really build off of are what Toei creates, and for the most part the producers behind the original movies and the concept of GT in the 90s (pre-Heroes) were in the right direction and at least felt consistent with the tones of the initial Z series.
There's so much more to DB than that. Vegeta in the Buu arc was far from the strongest character in that arc yet look how well he was handled. you can have all the transformations and flashy fights you want but none of that will ever surpass good writing.

I think the reaosn the original movies and GT turned out the way they did is because the franchise wasn't just known for its Ssj forms. The original DB didn't have any. It took Z 122 chapters to introduce the 1st form. The 3 "forms" that were introduced in the Cell arc weren't different or new, 2 were just buffed up versions like what Roshi used to do and Gohan's just had an electric aura. The 2nd new form which was Ssj3 was introduced 156 chapters later after Ssj1. Ssj4 was introduced after 35 episodes in GT and continued to be the only new form throughout the show. one of the things I like about GT is that they could've introduced a new one every arc but instead they designed one epic one that they believed was enough to hold the whole show. A producer working on GT even said they didn't want a new form but Shueisha did so that's why they came up with it. this proves that back then the Ssj forms weren't the full focus of the franchise.

DB (The manga) & GT (It wasn't perfect but it's the thought that counts) focused on story and character development first, the forms were just a small part in that.

Nowadays however, Ssj forms are front and center of the franchise and I think heroes is what started that. it's pretty much what the game lives on and it's one of the biggest things the franchise has done. Shueisha isn't stupid, they know that Ssj forms sell so that's why they're a priority now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Transformations in DB now feel like Zords in Power Rangers. They keep making more of them because they sell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:25 pm

ABED wrote:Why do so many on here think "evil Goku" is somehow fan related? It's a fictional trope to have dark versions of the hero.

As for "the fans" there is no such thing. It's just a label of a disparate group of people with different preferences and opinions.
It's been a fan concept for a long time, notably for Goku.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 pm

ABED wrote:Transformations in DB now feel like Zords in Power Rangers. They keep making more of them because they sell.
I don't mind having new forms every now and then, I just don't like the fact that they're the face of the franchise.

Ssj forms being the face of DB would be like batmobiles being the face of Batman. Yes they're important to batman but they've never been the main focus from the companies behind it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:40 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
ABED wrote:Why do so many on here think "evil Goku" is somehow fan related? It's a fictional trope to have dark versions of the hero.

As for "the fans" there is no such thing. It's just a label of a disparate group of people with different preferences and opinions.
It's been a fan concept for a long time, notably for Goku.
You give fans FAR too much credit for what is a common fictional trope. Dark versions of the heroes is not remotely new, like in that episode of Star Trek.

Burast

Post by Burast » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm

ABED wrote:Why was Goku Black fanservice?
a Evil Goku was a dream of many fans for a while.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 pm

sintzu wrote: The 3 "forms" that were introduced in the Cell arc weren't different or new, 2 were just buffed up versions like what Roshi used to do and Gohan's just had an electric aura.
They where technically new forms in every sense of the word, and besides the point Roshi's buffed up form was just him accessing his full power, which is something that Freeza would ironically later copy.

Super Saiyan 2
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Super Saiyan Third Grade
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Super Saiyan Second Grade
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Each one of these forms are an ascended version of Super Saiyan, they are there own forms. And besides that if we count every arc of Dragon Ball Super then four forms have been added in, Super Saiyan Blue, Super Saiyan God, The Golden Form, and Super Saiyan Ikari, (I don't count Super Saiyan Rose as it isn't it's own thing, as it's just essentially Super Saiyan Blue with the of a Ki of a true god) Compare that to what we got in Z, Super Saiyan, SJ2G, SJ3G, LSSJ, SSJ2, SS3, Ozaruu, Zarbon's monster form, and Freeza's forms.

Of course Super will eventually surpass Z in it's amount of transformations, but we're focusing on the now, and right now Z has a lot more transformations over Super.
Burast wrote:
Goku Black was fan service in design and name only.

Anyway for the topic on hand, no Toriyama does not listen to the fans, Toei on the other hand...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 am

Gog wrote:
They where technically new forms in every sense of the word, and besides the point Roshi's buffed up form was just him accessing his full power, which is something that Freeza would ironically later copy.
What I mean is that they were in line with Ssj1 in terms of looks, they were so similar that the manga didn't even bother giving them different names until a lot later and even then just one got a new new name (Ssj2).

Ssj3 on the other hand looked a lot different than the others which is why I consider it the only "new" form after Ssj1.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 am

sintzu wrote:
Gog wrote:
What I mean is that they were in line with Ssj1 in terms of looks, they were so similar that the manga didn't even bother giving them different names until a lot later and even then just one got a new new name (Ssj2).

Ssj3 on the other hand looked a lot different than the others which is why I consider it the only "new" form after Ssj1.

You've got a point there, every Super Saiyan form introduced in the Cell arc sucked.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 am

Burast wrote:
That's it? Again, it's a trope.

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:44 am

sintzu wrote:
I think the problem with fans is that they want more of the same. Bring characters back and introduce new Ssj forms are usually on top of the list of fan demands.
EXACTLY!!! And that's awfull!
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

I think people want more of the same because it's what they know. That's one reason it's a bad idea to give them what they want. They can't envision something new and different until someone shows it to them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:23 am

Gog wrote:You've got a point there, every Super Saiyan form introduced in the Cell arc sucked.
I think they were great because they weren't the story's focus and they were just treated as power ups. it made the original Ssj truly feel special.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 am

That does the opposite for me. By treating them as not special, it cheapens it. Super Saiyan 1 will always be special because it's the first.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm

I think in terms of story, he will do what he wants to do and not what others what.

Though it seems generally he likes to do the opposite
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he want to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he want to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
Like Black being Goten..........

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The only time Toriyama take anybody's opinion seriously is when he want to swerve it. Toriyama should never listen to the fans, because they themselves don't really know what's good for Dragon Ball's story. I mean, they are some genuinely good ideas and concepts that fans can often provide but they are almost impossible to pinpoint due to being lost in a sea of shitty pandering and shameless fanservice.
I think Toyotaro is evidence enough that fans simply cannot write Dragon Ball, fans sure as heck can draw it but not write, even something like this if you gave a fan to write Resurrection "F" with the basic plot lines from Toriyama I think it is very likely that the charm of what the final movie had wouldn't be there.