Dragon Ball: Anime or Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mfwlegend3
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball: Anime or Manga?

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 pm

MajinMan wrote:Red Ribbon Army arc - Manga
This is my favorite arc. Never watched the anime version. Though, I do like this theme song which I've heard(?) plays sometime during the arc. DB's anime had some good tracks.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 pm

I have no preference. Both are good in their own ways; the anime is good because it's nice to see absolutely everything in colour, its international release skyrocketed DB's global popularity, and seeing a good comic animated is always amazing. On the other hand, the manga is better because the art is always consistent, it's quicker to get through, and it makes me admire Toriyama's art and writing more.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

WobbuSleuth

Post by WobbuSleuth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am

Anime.
Manga has consistent art, yes, but also inconsistencies that are not exist in anime. (18 and 19 androids incident comes to mind) Also many filler moments/episodes that I liked, aren't presented in manga for obvious reasons.
Not to mention superb Japanese voice cast, great BGMs and songs, sometimes, even spectacular animation.
Sorry for my bad english. )=

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 am

Manga all the way. I haven't watched the anime since it first aired stateside. To me Dragon Ball is a comic book with some animated movies and TV specials.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:59 am

Manga all the way. The anime is so strong in many regards, but the pacing really hurts it in some places. Doesn't help that I find Kai to be a bit of a lesser product as a whole.

I mostly really enjoy Toriyama's superb panel work. He plays with the "camera" in fantastic way and combat flows really nicely. Combine that with his consistently pleasant art style and you have something that's hard to top. That's not to say that the anime isn't full of talented names like Shigeyasu Yamauchi and Daisuke Nishio who turned in some great stuff in terms of directing and storyboarding. Later down the line you had the likes of Studio Cockpit joining long-established talent like Masahiro Shimanuki and Naotoshi Shida, providing some great pieces of animation. Still, I'm siding with the source material. Also, if I'm being honest, I also find it easier to digest the manga now that I have less time to do things.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 pm

I prefer the Dragon Ball manga.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Manga, no contest. The anime is way too boring for me . Watching two episodes of the anime will always take me 40 minutes, but I could read an entire volume in that time.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

My preference are,the original 42 volumes of db≥dbz Kai≥db and z anime,the anime is good with the hunt of the dragon Ball and the saiyan arc,but awful with the red ribbon,namek and cell, those Saga felt way too long, boring and padding,the Namek saga is even worse, thanks god we have dragon Ball Kai and the manga for a serviceable namek arc
    But the Anime did some transformation better like goku ssj1,Gohan ssj2 at the cell games and world tournament those transformation were amazing in the anime,the manga feels underwhelming when it comes to transformation
    Mostly active on discord.