Why would you want a new Draon Ball HD remaster, and why aren't Dragon Boxes and FUNimation's season sets good enough?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Re: Why would you want a new Draon Ball HD remaster, and why aren't Dragon Boxes and FUNimation's season sets good enoug

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:We can definitely be sure, the loss of dark detail in the Levels is 1:1 with that of both the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays (the three releases that have used Funimation's own film, if you aren't familiar). Additionally, those 3 releases have several other identical quirks in the early episodes that's only present in Funimation's film. Toe I definitely gave Funi a notably inferior source to work with.
I responded to myself in sentences, which followed what you quoted :P But you're right about me being unfamiliar with FUNimation's releases other than Level sets (excluding Levels, I only saw parts of episode 1 from Blu-ray Season sets*, but this one was butchered on purpose, so I'm not using it as a reference in judging the quality of the masters).

* - we speak about releases made from film by FUNi themselves.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Why would you want a new Draon Ball HD remaster, and why aren't Dragon Boxes and FUNimation's season sets good enoug

Post by DHM211 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
DHM211 wrote:It would be great if Toei could remaster the movies. Seeing as how great the 4 episodes of Kai that were on 35mm film looked, I would love to see all the movies look that good.
Movies would look +- like this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/q27fd6ejf ... 80p%29.mkv
That looks amazing. It has the perfect amount of grain. Not too much that it distracts from the picture and not too little that the picture looks flat.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:39 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The crushed blacks in the Levels were down to the poor film stock Toei gave Funimation.
I know, but... can we be sure? Maybe the contrast was tweaked improperly? Look at dark colors on the Levels - they are waaay darker than dark colors in Kai. It's obvious that darker ones are black in this situation.
We can definitely be sure, the loss of dark detail in the Levels is 1:1 with that of both the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays (the three releases that have used Funimation's own film, if you aren't familiar). Additionally, those 3 releases have several other identical quirks in the early episodes that's only present in Funimation's film. Toe I definitely gave Funi a notably inferior source to work with.
wrong have you watch the dragon ball movies HD from selecta vision? they came from Funimation Masters (funi release is very dark) but not the spanish one
Funi are used to darken things like kai in this comparison
i can absolutely say that selecta vision bluray have better colors and brightness than funimation one even if it is not perfect too (selecta use funi HD masters)

so i am 100% sure it's not from the master but how they used it

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 am

ringworm128 wrote:
sangofe wrote:

The Dragon Boxes weren't too bad, but they're still in a resolution that make them not look the best on today's TVs and during action scenes. Plus the colors aren't quite right.
I personally think the Dragonboxes looking bad on modern TV's is completely overblown. I've tested out the Dragonboxes on many different flat screens and most of the time they look great when played though a good upscaler like the PS3. The only time I found the footage didn't fair well was on a huge 65 inch plasma. But even then, I was incredibly close to the screen, had I sat back it probably would have looked fine.
I like my image to be crystal clear and that's why I absolutely love good HD remasters like Urusei Yatsura or Ranma 1/2 (the japanese release).

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote: I know, but... can we be sure? Maybe the contrast was tweaked improperly? Look at dark colors on the Levels - they are waaay darker than dark colors in Kai. It's obvious that darker ones are black in this situation.
We can definitely be sure, the loss of dark detail in the Levels is 1:1 with that of both the Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays (the three releases that have used Funimation's own film, if you aren't familiar). Additionally, those 3 releases have several other identical quirks in the early episodes that's only present in Funimation's film. Toe I definitely gave Funi a notably inferior source to work with.
wrong have you watch the dragon ball movies HD from selecta vision? they came from Funimation Masters (funi release is very dark) but not the spanish one
Funi are used to darken things like kai in this comparison
i can absolutely say that selecta vision bluray have better colors and brightness than funimation one even if it is not perfect too (selecta use funi HD masters)

so i am 100% sure it's not from the master but how they used it
I'm not saying that Funimation didn't darken anything, I'm saying that all 3 English releases that used Funimation's film have certain damages that are 1:1 with each other. Many (but not all) examples of this are the crushed blacks. That's evidence enough to conclude that at least part of the problem is rooted in their source.

Granted, I'm not familiar with the LA release, so I can't rebut anything there, but I'm still confident in my assessment.
Retired.

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:42 pm

yes but selecta use the funi master and it is not dark....i don't know

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 pm

I'd like to see a comparison between the Funimation Double Feature Blu-Rays, the Remastered DB 4-Pack, the Funimationnow Streaming of the movies, the Selectavision Blu-Rays, and the Latin American DB Movie Blu-Rays. Even with the same transfer, some might look better than others...granted, I have a feeling none of them can compare to the Dragon Boxes, but still...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

goku83

Post by goku83 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:08 am

Toei have make some color change themselves on the dbox all aren't film degrade. You just have to watch Dragon Box the movies to see this, full movie 1-2-3 have color change like dragon box for the series but if you watch all trailers also remastered they have true colors (with some tint) if it was only a film degradation even trailers should have colors change too.
If you watch carefully dragon ball super some of these change remain.

for this new release they should revert the process

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:02 pm

goku83 wrote:Toei have make some color change themselves on the dbox all aren't film degrade. You just have to watch Dragon Box the movies to see this, full movie 1-2-3 have color change like dragon box for the series but if you watch all trailers also remastered they have true colors (with some tint) if it was only a film degradation even trailers should have colors change too.
If you watch carefully dragon ball super some of these change remain.

for this new release they should revert the process
Back in the days, when I wasn't experienced enough and not very familiar with Dragon Ball releases, I came up with similar theory, but it was later disproved with a ton of serious arguments. We are 101% sure that they didn't even touch the colors. What you see on Dragon Box is the film as-it-was in ~2003 (not counting crushed blacks, which were caused by improper calibration of the scanner [more likely] or remastering process itself [less likely] or combination of both [most likely]).

As to the trailers, they were: a) Shot on better films, b) Kept in better storage conditions, c) The scanner was extremely well calibrated / remastering was handled better (their black/white balance, contrast and brightness is mostly better)

goku83

Post by goku83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:51 am

Ok thanks for those informations, i was wondering that as even in dragon ball kai 2.0 they used the wrong colors and in dbsuper some too

goku83

Post by goku83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 am

there is a lot of things that are curious with these things like why fuji tv allways uses the old transfer of Dragon Ball Z (animax too) but audio are the same as dbox?
if i correctly remember the scheme kei did, the master tapes was send to tv channel that broadcast them but now they allways show the same video but change the audios on them?
it maybe have been explain, but i can't understand how they choose to use muffle audios instead of the original they got.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm

goku83 wrote:there is a lot of things that are curious with these things like why fuji tv allways uses the old transfer of Dragon Ball Z (animax too) but audio are the same as dbox?
if i correctly remember the scheme kei did, the master tapes was send to tv channel that broadcast them but now they allways show the same video but change the audios on them?
it maybe have been explain, but i can't understand how they choose to use muffle audios instead of the original they got.
They don't have the original master tapes anymore. Reasons:
1. They considered film reel with optical track to be a complete product. Another reel was unneeded. It was easier to storage/use just one reel.
2. They re-used the same magnetic tape for next episodes.
3. Storage was problematic and warehouses were expensive.
4. There was no need to keep those masters at that time (they considered them useless).
5. They didn't notice / pay attention to quality differences.

Sad but true...