Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 am

Quite a few of DBZA's cast are actual voice actors. Lani, Kaiser and Kirbopher mainly. But also the voices for androids 17 and 18. Masako and Taka's cameo's in DBZKai. And a few other that aren't on my head. Lani and Kaiser specifically have auditioned for roles and gotten parts in One Piece, Fairy Tail and Kaiser in Danganronpa 3. 18's actress voiced the main character in Keijo's dub. Not cause of DBZA, but because they all auditioned and Funimation liked them. So they ARE good actors.

Also Bang Zoom Kaio-Sama>Any other. And I have a special liking for Wendee Lee as Bulma and Bang Zoom Kid Trunks.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 am

Goku : Kai onwards Schemmel > MasakoX > Saban era Kelamis > Corlette > Morrow > Lang > Westwood era Kelamis > pre-Kai Schemmel

Vegeta : 2004 onwards Sabat > Saban era Drummond > Tang > Funi seasons 4-9 Sabat > Westwood era Drummond > 1999 Sabat

Piccolo : McNeil > Sabat > Chase

Kid Gohan : Clinkenbeard > Henderson > Nadolny

Adult Gohan > Swile > Herbert

Freeza : Ayres > Newstome > Young
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 am

quality of content is ultimately subjective.
Not always. You can't play any note you want and call it "music".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:45 am

Yes, but despite what YOU want to say DBZA is not objectively unfunny.

And their voice acting certaintly isn't objectively bad. Far better than early Funi and from what I've seen post-Saban Ocean Group

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't really understand people who say that the DBZA cast is better than the Funi cast.Like...mostly all of their voices are based on the Funi cast to begin with, and they're all meant to be comedic. I'd LOVE to see/hear just a short snippet of them doing completely serious dialogue just to see how they'd do as an "actual dub", but for right now I prefer them as just a comedy dub. I will say some individual members DO sound better than their Funi counterparts, but not very many. Kaiser's Trunks for example sounds a lot better than Eric Vale's current Trunks, which is this weird gravely mess. It also helps that I think a lot of Trunks' lines in DBZA are more serious than comedic at times.

But on the subject of DBZA being "objectively" awful and "low quality" I have to severely disagree. The amount of time and effort spent on every single episode is plain as day to see, and calling that work "low quality" is simply an insult. I don't always find them funny, but you can clearly tell the amount of love they put in to the product and how much each of them really cares about and loves Dragonball. Not every joke always hits the mark for me, but there are definitely some funny moments, and it's very professionally produced.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 pm

The effort doesn't matter. You can put in every bit of effort you have in your mind, body, and soul, and still not be good at something. I don't care how much they love something, the writing isn't good and the comedy isn't funny. They can't land the jokes. It's painfully forced and the punchlines are often telegraphed. The production quality is fine, that's not at issue, but that has no bearing on the performances. The quality of comedy is subjective, but despite what every teacher has probably told you, there are objective standards of aesthetic value.
And their voice acting certaintly isn't objectively bad. Far better than early Funi
Give a concrete example of good acting from DBZA. Not one fan of the show has ever given me one specific, example of something they believe is good acting from DBZA. Being better than a terrible inexperienced cast doesn't make them good.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:35 pm

ABED wrote: Give a concrete example of good acting from DBZA. Being better than a terrible inexperienced cast doesn't make them good.
I think this is a pretty good example. I see it as the perfect balance between comedic and serious. Especially Kami's part.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
ABED wrote: Give a concrete example of good acting from DBZA. Being better than a terrible inexperienced cast doesn't make them good.
I think this is a pretty good example. I see it as the perfect balance between comedic and serious. Especially Kami's part.
I'm not seeing it. I hear forced performances and I'm not feeling any emotion behind it. And yet again, their punchlines are obvious. It's not as painfully bad as MasakoX, but still nothing to ride home about, but at least you gave a concrete example even though I disagree with it.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Goku:
1. Peter Kelamis - Overall most appropriate and fun performance. Good understanding of the character, even back in the 90s. First to really play up the dumb/goofy aspects of Goku (and do it well). Also exceptional screaming/martial arts kiai (bonus points for successfully channeling Nozawa at certain points, a very rare quality). His pitch was appropriately high and boisterous but he could also bring a headstrong, child-like masculine energy when needed.
2. Ian Corlett - Very heroic and endearing. Sounded the most natural and realistically naive but excelled most in serious/tense scenes, even surpassing Kelamis here. Screams and kiai were unfortunately lacking but still a very good casting.
3. Sean Schemmel (Kai) - Grew into an exceptional screamer. Can sound the most menacing when yelling although, this isn't always the most appropriate for Goku's character. His goofy side comes off a little forced and less convincing than his predecessors. While his delivery can be great in serious moments, his nasally sound isn't to my liking. I still commend him for his volume of work but he's not my ideal Goku.
4. Kirby Morrow - A very peppy and energetic Goku, also very carefree. I liked this voice although, in hindsight, it was perhaps a little too smart sounding for Goku. I find little to complain about with his performance, he did the goofy side pretty well actually, also managed to sound very heroic and cool with great line delivery. His biggest issue was screaming but overall he was a commendable replacement.
5. Lex Lang - A departure from the voices we've had, he clearly gets the character, but, the speaking voice is almost too friendly and nondistinct. It comes off unremarkable to me. Points for originality on Goku's kiai (Kenshiro/Bruce Lee yells), screaming leaves a lot to be desired though.
6. Sean Schemmel (Z dub) - Still amateur like the rest of the cast at this point. Drab line deliveries. Screaming is his only saving grace. He improves yelling for the movies and Buu arc but it's not enough to make it an amazing performance.
7. Steve Blum - Based on what little we got, there was a lot of potential here. It wasn't the best by any means but it was in the same vein as Kirby Morrow and Lex Lang's take. Wish we got more.
8. Jeffrey Watson - A bit too young sounding for anything other than a teenage Goku but he was okay.
9. Jeremiah Yurk - Sounded a bit too much like a jock stereotype. A little deeper than I would've liked and sometimes suffered from awkward delivery. He was decently heroic sounding but ultimately not ideal casting choice. Screams were average.
10. David Gasman - Miscast. Too deep. Bad line delivery. Average yells. Completely misses the point of the character. Honestly sounds like a 80s He-Man performance.

Vegeta:
1. Brian Drummond - Still an entertaining performance with great line delivery. Exceptional screams and the pitch isn't too low (unlike most of the other actors). The voice just oozes personality and you can really feel his frustration and smug attitude.
2. Christopher Sabat (Kai) - This voice became tolerable during Kai when he started to sound more natural and add flavor to his delivery, although he's still a tad too deep for my liking. He fInally learned to scream although he's not the best in that area (Drummond & even Lanipator do it better than him). His accent is improved over Z and sounds more princely but overall, it comes off like a poor man's version of Dan Green's Pharaoh/Yami Yugi.
3. Kaiji Tang - A decent unique take. Seems somewhat faithful to Horikawa but at the same time, it's not an exceptionally great voice nor is it a memorable performance (as of yet). Originally took cues from Sabat's Z performance to his own detriment.
4. Christopher Sabat (Z) - His early work imitating Drummond was very amateur. Began transitioning into a deep, strained voice which was rather distracting. His "screams" were nothing but obnoxious moans and grunts. Line delivery was often very dull. "Princely" accent is still sloppy and unrefined.
5. Roger Rhodes - Bad Drummond impression. Too raspy and whiny but he does improve by the end of GT.
6. Milton James (Final Bout) - Sounds far too old but the accent is decent.
7. Ed Marcus (Big Green) - Once again, too old sounding, few redeeming qualities.

Piccolo:
1. Scott McNeil - Nails the evil side of Piccolo with a dark brooding performance and awesome demonic screams. His later work still sounds naturally intimidating but isn't as menacing, which is an appropriate evolution. All around awesome actor and casting choice.
2. Ray Chase - A very promising Piccolo voice. Although I was initially unimpressed and still find room for improvement, I think this has much greater potential than Sabat's. Taking inspiration from his own Keith David/Arbiter impression, it sounds quite fitting and unique. I doubt his screams are very good but on speaking voice alone I enjoy this quite a lot.
3. Christopher Sabat (Kai) A decent voice for the character but not one that Sabat needs to keep playing IMO. He brings very little to this role and it only gets less distinct as time goes on. He can finally scream now and his delivery is better but that's about it.
4. Daniel Woren (Final Bout) - Awkwardly written lines aside, what little we heard of this voice is decent. It reminds me of Clint Eastwood which is kinda fitting.
5. Christopher Sabat (Z) - Too deep and growly. Piccolo sounds too unintelligent and brutish in this dub, also can't scream, lots of moaning/grunting.
6. Big Green voices - Decent voices but ruined by poor performance.
7. Ethan Cole - Terrible casting choice. Sounds too young most of the time. Miscast.

Kid Gohan:
1. Saffron Henderson - Sounds believable as both a toddler and young boy. Doesn't sound overly feminine. Great acting and line delivery, good screaming ability too.
2. Colleen Clinkenbeard - Good performance but I find the voice a bit too feminine at times. Good screams.
3. Jillian Michaels - Good at portraying the personality of Gohan (perhaps a bit too timid) but also suffers from sounding too feminine most of the time. Better suited for Goten.
4. Jodi Forrest - Decent voice held back by poor delivery.
5. Stephanie Nadolny - Starts off decent but gets progressively worse throughout the Z dub. The voice devolves into a raspy mess. Tries too hard to sound tough and misses the point of Gohan's character. More appropriate for Kid Goku.

Adult Gohan:
1. Brad Swaile - The most fitting voice for his age and personality. Sounds appropriate for a slightly nerdy & naive teenager/young man. Was also able to adapt well to suit Gohan's serious Ultimate state.
2. Chris Hackney - Once again, sounds appropriate for Gohan's personality and age. Haven't heard anything exceptional (yet) but it's good casting choice with potential.
2. Kyle Hebert - Early characterization seemed a bit too "cool" for Gohan. Also, isn't helped by the fact that Hebert sounds noticeably older. Acting improved over time but never was a fan of this voice, feels miscast.
3. Scott Roberts - The voice comes off as bland and nondistinct in comparison to the others. Performance is also forgettable.

Narrator: 1. Tie between Doc Harris & Doc Morgan 2. Brice Armstrong 3. Steve Olson 4. (Bang Zoom) 5. Dale Kelly 6. Kyle Hebert 7. Andrew Chandler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm

1. Peter Kelamis - Overall most appropriate and fun performance. Good understanding of the character, even back in the 90s. First to really play up the dumb/goofy aspects of Goku (and do it well). Also exceptional screaming/martial arts kiai (bonus points for successfully channeling Nozawa at certain points, a very rare quality). His pitch was appropriately high and boisterous but he could also bring a headstrong, child-like masculine energy when needed.
Schemmel's goofy side sounds forced but Kelamis is natural? I'd love to hear what you hear because there's not one single thing about Kelamis's performance that sounds natural. It's all strained and forced and Goofy sounding. He doesn't channel Nozawa at all. He just has a higher pitched voice than the other actors. When he tries to sound tough, he sounds like me trying to sound tough (i.e., unconvincingly). Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change. Corlette might be the most talented actor of the group, but his take isn't Goku. And Morrow is simply bland.

Bulma - Lalainia Lindbjerg > Maggie Blue O'Hara > Monica Rial >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tiffany Vollmer

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Goku
1. Schemmel
2. Kelamis
3. Corlett
4. Morrow
5. Blum
6. Lang
7. Watson
8. Gasman
9. Yurk

Vegeta
1. Drummond
2. Sabat
3. Tang
4. Rhodes
5. Rand
6. Marcus
7. Jamin

Piccolo
1. McNeil
2. Chase
3. Sabat
4. Bandey
5. Woren
6. Cole

Gohan
1. Henderson
2. Clinkenbeard
3. Nadolny
4. Michaels
5. Forrest

Adult Gohan
1. Swaile/Hebert
2. Hackney
3. Gasman
4. Roberts

Bulma
1. Rial
2. Lindbjerg
3. Lee
4. O'Hara
5. Davies
6. Nosawad
7. Forrest

Frieza
1. Ayres
2. Newstone
3. Young
4. Seymour
5. Marcus
6. Bain
ABED wrote:
Schemmel's goofy side sounds forced but Kelamis is natural? I'd love to hear what you hear because there's not one single thing about Kelamis's performance that sounds natural. It's all strained and forced and Goofy sounding. He doesn't channel Nozawa at all. He just has a higher pitched voice than the other actors. When he tries to sound tough, he sounds like me trying to sound tough (i.e., unconvincingly). Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change. Corlette might be the most talented actor of the group, but his take isn't Goku. And Morrow is simply bland.

Bulma - Lalainia Lindbjerg > Maggie Blue O'Hara > Monica Rial >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tiffany Vollmer
What you just said about Kelamis is what exactly what I think of pre-Kai Sabat. Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change? At the time, Schemmel couldn't act to save his life. I'd say Morrow was better than Season 3 Schemmel, even if he wasn't the best choice.

And the problems with Corlett's Goku aren't his fault, it's the script. He could have done better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change? At the time, Schemmel couldn't act to save his life.
That's how little I think of Kelamis as Goku. Schemmel was a greenhorn but still was more natural than Kelamis.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:35 pm

ABED wrote:Schemmel's goofy side sounds forced but Kelamis is natural? I'd love to hear what you hear because there's not one single thing about Kelamis's performance that sounds natural. It's all strained and forced and Goofy sounding.
Considering that Kelamis is a comedian with experience voicing humorous characters like Rolf, it's really no surprise that he's better at conveying Goku's goofy/comedic nature than someone like Schemmel. I don't think I need to explain that some people are just naturally more adept at certain areas than others and no matter how much you want it to be the case, I honestly don't feel that humor is one of Schemmel's strong points. Even his recent work in Buu Kai can sometimes sound like he's trying too hard. The best example I can compare it to would be a children's entertainer putting on a disingenuous cheerful voice in order to impress children. Similar to the uncanny valley effect, even a child subconsciously knows something is off and that they're being talked down to. I think his effort to sound higher pitched than normal with that slight falsetto doesn't help things but that's just a theory.

You might not be amused by Kelamis' performance for whatever reason but humor is pretty subjective after all, I do think that your comment about it being "all strained and forced" is dishonest and overblown though. I'm also not certain what you mean by using "natural" in this context. I would only say that Kelamis' Goku is "natural" in the same way that Bugs Bunny is natural, it's a heightened and exaggerated vocal portrayal not found in real life but I certainly find it believable coming out of a fictional drawing of Goku, especially when he's acting silly or overly happy. Schemmel's version of that is serviceable (for me) but it's just not the style I tend to prefer for the character.
ABED wrote:He doesn't channel Nozawa at all. He just has a higher pitched voice than the other actors.
Well, first of all, having a higher pitched voice has very little to do with him channeling Nozawa or rather, you thinking that I think having a high pitched voice somehow equals a Nozawa-esque performance? :crazy: Jeffrey Watson's Goku is even higher pitched than Kelamis' Goku yet Watson's version shares no similarities with Nozawa, because it's clearly more about the style of acting and performance (along with the natural sound of his voice) rather than just pitch. Plenty of people have recognized that there's more of a similarity in Kelamis' screams and kiai to Nozawa's portrayal than with any of the other English Goku actors, this isn't some conspiracy, it's what people already familiar with Nozawa's portrayal genuinely feel as a first impression. This obviously isn't the case with his speaking voice, as it's in a deeper pitch and a totally different language, but that's not what people are focusing on when they make the comparison, it's obviously the yelling. If you don't hear any similarity whatsoever then I don't know what to tell you.
ABED wrote:When he tries to sound tough, he sounds like me trying to sound tough (i.e., unconvincingly). Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change.
Season 3 Schemmel was barely even acting. Aside from perhaps liking the sound of Schemmel's voice, there was nothing objectively better about his performance than what Kelamis was doing in the prior Saban and Pioneer dubs. Your issue with Kelamis failing to sound tough is perfectly in line with who Goku is supposed to be as a character, he's not even supposed to "sound tough" like Vegeta or Piccolo, he's meant to be the naive childlike dolt who just so happens to be a fighting genius.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 pm

My only issue with Kelamis as Goku is the surfer bro voice. I keep on thinking of Michaelangelo from TMNT. Though I never saw the Pioneer movies, outside some clips on Youtube, which is apparently where he shines.

He's still better than season 3 Schemmel purely because Kelamis can act for sh!t. Schemmel was like straight out of a bad live action Hong Kong dub.

I can understand preferring Kai era Schemmel over Kelamis, heck, I sure do. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would prefer Schemmel struggling to read his lines in the early days of the in house dub over Kelamis who was a pro.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 am

I definitely agree in not including TFS with the official actors, because it's a fanmade parody. It's not even really the same show anymore, and seeing people treat it on the same level as an official product baffles me (and frankly, it's annoying to see so many people on others sites constantly quoting it whenever Dragon Ball is brought up). I'm not saying I hate it (but I don't love it like most people do), but I've done some fandubs/parodies. Does that mean I can include myself on a list of favorite Dragon Ball dub actors? The answer should be no.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:59 am

NitroEX wrote:
ABED wrote:Schemmel's goofy side sounds forced but Kelamis is natural? I'd love to hear what you hear because there's not one single thing about Kelamis's performance that sounds natural. It's all strained and forced and Goofy sounding.
Considering that Kelamis is a comedian with experience voicing humorous characters like Rolf, it's really no surprise that he's better at conveying Goku's goofy/comedic nature than someone like Schemmel. I don't think I need to explain that some people are just naturally more adept at certain areas than others and no matter how much you want it to be the case, I honestly don't feel that humor is one of Schemmel's strong points. Even his recent work in Buu Kai can sometimes sound like he's trying too hard. The best example I can compare it to would be a children's entertainer putting on a disingenuous cheerful voice in order to impress children. Similar to the uncanny valley effect, even a child subconsciously knows something is off and that they're being talked down to. I think his effort to sound higher pitched than normal with that slight falsetto doesn't help things but that's just a theory.

You might not be amused by Kelamis' performance for whatever reason but humor is pretty subjective after all, I do think that your comment about it being "all strained and forced" is dishonest and overblown though. I'm also not certain what you mean by using "natural" in this context. I would only say that Kelamis' Goku is "natural" in the same way that Bugs Bunny is natural, it's a heightened and exaggerated vocal portrayal not found in real life but I certainly find it believable coming out of a fictional drawing of Goku, especially when he's acting silly or overly happy. Schemmel's version of that is serviceable (for me) but it's just not the style I tend to prefer for the character.
ABED wrote:He doesn't channel Nozawa at all. He just has a higher pitched voice than the other actors.
Well, first of all, having a higher pitched voice has very little to do with him channeling Nozawa or rather, you thinking that I think having a high pitched voice somehow equals a Nozawa-esque performance? :crazy: Jeffrey Watson's Goku is even higher pitched than Kelamis' Goku yet Watson's version shares no similarities with Nozawa, because it's clearly more about the style of acting and performance (along with the natural sound of his voice) rather than just pitch. Plenty of people have recognized that there's more of a similarity in Kelamis' screams and kiai to Nozawa's portrayal than with any of the other English Goku actors, this isn't some conspiracy, it's what people already familiar with Nozawa's portrayal genuinely feel as a first impression. This obviously isn't the case with his speaking voice, as it's in a deeper pitch and a totally different language, but that's not what people are focusing on when they make the comparison, it's obviously the yelling. If you don't hear any similarity whatsoever then I don't know what to tell you.
ABED wrote:When he tries to sound tough, he sounds like me trying to sound tough (i.e., unconvincingly). Season 3 Schemmel was a welcome change.
Season 3 Schemmel was barely even acting. Aside from perhaps liking the sound of Schemmel's voice, there was nothing objectively better about his performance than what Kelamis was doing in the prior Saban and Pioneer dubs. Your issue with Kelamis failing to sound tough is perfectly in line with who Goku is supposed to be as a character, he's not even supposed to "sound tough" like Vegeta or Piccolo, he's meant to be the naive childlike dolt who just so happens to be a fighting genius.
Him being a comedian has no bearing on him conveying Goku's goofy side. For all I know, he could be a terrible comedian. And no, you don't need to explain why you think some people are more naturally adept, but I would never put Kelamis and "natural" in the same sentence. I wasn't being dishonest about believing Kelamis's performance is forced. I don't know how anyone can hear Kelamis and think that's a natural performance. Listen to him in the scene where Goku gets a beer from the fridge on the refurbished ship and tell me that's not a terrible performance and completely forced. Your children's entertainer example is an apt one, but you applied it to the wrong actor. It's not a mere heightened cartoon performance, it's a thoroughly unnatural and unpleasant cadence. It's exaggerated to the point of being purely a cartoon. There's no nuance to it. It's "look at me, see how goofy I sound". Schemmel and Nozawa are effortless. Yes, they are heightened, but they are able to convey subtlety as well, which is necessary for the character. Kelamis is about as subtle as a brick through a window.

Kelamis has a good scream, that's it. That doesn't make him Nozawa-esque. I've never felt anything remotely Nozawa-esque. That's the only thing people think is similar and it's such a weak example. His screams sound like Nozawa's (they don't)? GASP! So? Everything else is god awful. And the people making that claim don't recognize anything. They hear a high pitched scream and draw a parallel.

There was something objectively better in early Schemmel - he wasn't nearly as forced as Kelamis. Your idea of who Goku is factually wrong and not even what I meant. I'm referring to when they are in mid-battle. Goku is a manchild, but in battle, he's tough. He's not a stereotypical tough guy, but he's clearly tough. He doesn't sound like a manchild in battle.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 am

ABED wrote:Listen to him in the scene where Goku gets a beer from the fridge on the refurbished ship and tell me that's not a terrible performance and completely forced
I can and will; It don't hear how it's so "terrible". I don't think it's the best performance (especially compared to the movies), but I still consider it good.
ABED wrote:There was something objectively better in early Schemmel - he wasn't nearly as forced as Kelamis
I disagree. I hear a lot more forcefulness in Schemmel's early stuff. Like, when I listen to this, it sounds very rough, corny, and unnatural to me. I can't describe it as anything but forced and kinda cringeworthy at points. Whereas, when I hear this, I feel the subtle nuances of Goku's nature through the way Kelamis speaks. In calmer moments, he sounds to me wild and goofy, but quickly turns into a fierce warrior in battle. This is something that I feel not only trumps early Schemmel with ease, but something I might even consider on par with him in Kai. And this is based off of very little material in comparison.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:29 am

"It's much better for me... and tastes great!" sounds fine to you?
I disagree. I hear a lot more forcefulness in Schemmel's early stuff. Like, when I listen to this, it sounds very rough, corny, and unnatural to me. I can't describe it as anything but forced and kinda cringeworthy at points. Whereas, when I hear this, I feel the subtle nuances of Goku's nature through the way Kelamis speaks. In calmer moments, he sounds to me wild and goofy, but quickly turns into a fierce warrior in battle. This is something that I feel not only trumps early Schemmel with ease, but something I might even consider on par with him in Kai. And this is based off of very little material in comparison.
Kelamis in that clip is still horrible, just god awful. Every adjective you used for early Schemmel applies to Kelamis's entire performance, even the movies where he was noticeably better. Still mediocre, but better than the series. And sorry, I meant Schemmel's earlier stuff was comparatively more natural than Kelamis's. Early Schemmel suffered from having to imitate - you guessed it... Kelamis.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 am

ABED wrote:"It's much better for me... and tastes great!" sounds fine to you?
Yup
ABED wrote: Kelamis in that clip is still horrible, just god awful. Every adjective you used for early Schemmel applies to Kelamis's entire performance, even the movies where he was noticeably better. Still mediocre, but better than the series. And sorry, I meant Schemmel's earlier stuff was comparatively more natural than Kelamis's. Early Schemmel suffered from having to imitate - you guessed it... Kelamis.
Sorry, I'm just not hearing it. Kelamis's performance just sounds fantastic to me. Whether it's the energetic voice, the badass screams, or the way he nails Goku's goofy side, etc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am

He doesn't nail Goku's goofy side, he just sounds goofy. And he has good screams, but not badass screams. I'm not hearing the performance from Kelamis or TFS that you seem to think are great. He's the Nadolny of male voice actors.
Yup
No, just NO. A deaf man could hear how truly awful and over the top that delivery was.

Tenshinhan - John Burgmeier > Chris Cason >>>>>> Matt Smith