Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ranking the multiple English voice actors

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm

ABED wrote: They are objectively god awful
You dont know what objective means.

and don't sound remotely real or natural.

I know you say they're a parody but you don't seem to get that they are? "They don't sound real or natural" is a pretty nonsense argument.

Also a lot of animated works typically have created voiced that dont sound like actual humans.

I honestly get the impression you have some sort of bias against them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:Piccolo: Toshio Furukawa, Scott McNeil, Kai Sabat
Umm... what? :lol:
Crap, I was thinking about all the Vegeta's and Piccolos when wrote their original voices down.
ABED wrote:I won't because it's true. They are objectively god awful and don't sound remotely real or natural.

And it's a parody, so it doesn't count as a dub of Dragon Ball.

People like 'em. My dad was right, there's no accounting for taste.

They're the opposite.
Whatever, you call it whatever you like.

Dubbing is putting voices over video. So yes, it is a dub.

You completely ignored the second part of what I said. I said that they're special to people. And, again, those are your thoughts. You keep stating these things like their facts you'd hear every day, but they're not.
They're the opposite because they are guys off the street who put their fandub on the internet. Literally anyone could do what they did.

It's a fandub and a parody It doesn't count. MasakoX isn't playing Goku, he's playing parody Goku.

I know a lot of people will tell you that it's all a matter of opinion, but that's not always the case. JDF is an objectively awful actor.
I know you say they're a parody but you don't seem to get that they are? "They don't sound real or natural" is a pretty nonsense argument.
Being a parody doesn't preclude them from sounding natural. Granted they are going for a comedic effect so they aren't trying to sound naturalistic, but try telling that simple fact to fans of TFS and they will tell you that's not true despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Also a lot of animated works typically have created voiced that dont sound like actual humans.
No, not super naturalistic, but it's still natural in a heightened way very often. Castellaneta doesn't use a natural sounding voice for Homer, but he's still able to emote and elicit an emotional response due to his performance.
No, I just don't think they are remotely good. They aren't funny, and what bugs me about TFS beyond the lack of quality of the product is their fans. It's crap like this where they hold them up against professional actors who made their living voicing these characters. If it's a bias, it's well founded.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm

ABED wrote:. Literally anyone could do what they did.
There's hundreds of genuinely awful abridged series (not necessarily DBZ) to prove you're wrong.

I know a lot of people will tell you that it's all a matter of opinion, but that's not always the case. .

Yeah but in this case you're not using any sort of objectivity

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:. Literally anyone could do what they did.
There's hundreds of genuinely awful abridged series (not necessarily DBZ) to prove you're wrong.
TFS is among them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm

ABED wrote:
No, I just don't think they are remotely good. They aren't funny, and what bugs me about TFS beyond the lack of quality of the product is their fans. It's crap like this where they hold them up against professional actors who made their living voicing these characters. If it's a bias, it's well founded.
Weeellllll, considering that they voiced the Cell Games reenactment characters in the Majin Buu Kai Funimation dub, they're technically professional voice actors. Not to mention that they accept patreon support and merchandise support from fans to pay for them to be able to do DBZ Abridged basically full time now.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, you just made me so depressed. Why anyone thought those guys were funny enough or talented enough to make a living as voice actors based on THAT is anyone's guess. ANd that people give them money for that?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Avenant wrote: Weeellllll, considering that they voiced the Cell Games reenactment characters in the Majin Buu Kai Funimation dub, they're technically professional voice actors. Not to mention that they accept patreon support and merchandise support from fans to pay for them to be able to do DBZ Abridged basically full time now.
Oh yeah! I forgot about this! This even moreso gives them tons of credibility. Not that they were even close to lacking in that department anyway.
ABED wrote:They're the opposite because they are guys off the street who put their fandub on the internet. Literally anyone could do what they did.

It's a fandub and a parody It doesn't count. MasakoX isn't playing Goku, he's playing parody Goku.

I know a lot of people will tell you that it's all a matter of opinion, but that's not always the case. JDF is an objectively awful actor.
Nah, I don't see it that way. These guys are, IMO, really good actors and show a lot of promise in what they do. Besides other stuff that involves people connected to them, I haven't seen something like this. Maybe a few, but that's it for me. So no, I don't think anyone could did what they did, because not everyone can act as good as they do.

Parody or fandub, it really doesn't matter. It's an English dub, official or not.

I know what an opinion and a fact is. TFS is not objectively bad.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Give me one example of a scene (with a link) that shows them being such great actors. You guys that love that show are so bonkers (I'm trying to use a term that's silly so you won't get offended), to the point that you will call that good acting. I don't even think it's meant to be. It's meant to be funny (which it fails at, miserably). It's a string of random jokes thrown together. Vegeta's death scene isn't meant to elicit sympathy in TFS.
Parody or fandub, it really doesn't matter
Oh it absolutely does because a parody of DB isn't DB.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm

It seems you think acting has to be "grrrr serious" to be good or else its awful, so why bother?

ABED wrote:G). It's a string of random jokes thrown together.
You haven't watched past first few episodes, have you?
Vegeta's death scene isn't meant to elicit sympathy in TFS.
You're right. Its a goddamn hilarious scene that mocks the stupidity of Funimation having Vegeta blaming Freeza for who he is

And the voice acting is genuinely better than the Toonami era version.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 pm

It seems you think acting has to be "grrrr serious" to be good or else its awful, so why bother?
Never even implied as such and my Homer example pokes a hole in your theory. And once again, when I ask for examples, TFS fans fail to give me one.
You haven't watched past first few episodes, have you?
I have. I've seen a few of the later episodes and extended clips throughout the run trying to find something I thought was funny or good in a failed attempt to find something I found clever or good.
You're right. Its a goddamn hilarious scene that mocks the stupidity of Funimation having Vegeta blaming Freeza for who he is

And the voice acting is genuinely better than the Toonami era version.
Wow, not only was it not funny, but how do you compare the scenes? It's apples and oranges. One is trying to elicit sympathy and be earnest. The other is mocking the former.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm

ABED wrote:[. And once again, when I ask for examples, TFS fans fail to give me one.
Watch any episode after the 5th. Dont know why there needs to be specific examples?

but how do you compare the scenes?
Because one has good voice acting the other doesn't

One is trying to elicit sympathy and be earnest
And failing miserably
. The other is mocking the former.
And succeeding

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Avenant wrote:
ABED wrote:
Weeellllll, considering that they voiced the Cell Games reenactment characters in the Majin Buu Kai Funimation dub, they're technically professional voice actors. Not to mention that they accept patreon support and merchandise support from fans to pay for them to be able to do DBZ Abridged basically full time now.
They have recently had actual proper speaking roles at FUNi, well Lani and Kaiser have anyway, they are deffo 100% professional VA's now.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Watch any episode after the 5th. Dont know why there needs to be specific examples
I have watched episodes after the 5th and I don't see what you guys are seeing. I need a specific example because I don't know what you specifically think qualifies as good acting. I've heard people say that the voices aren't just over the top parodies, but I fail to see how that's not the case. MasakoX's Goku is so goofy and about as subtle as a brick through a window. I fail to see how it qualifies as anything other than over the top.
Because one has good voice acting the other doesn't
What about that qualifies as good acting? Please be specific.
And failing miserably
Never said it was good.
And succeeding
Yes, it does in fact mock it, but that doesn't make it good acting. Again, it's two different things. They are two entirely different goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yD_sIm-i3k
What line was hilarious or clever? Where is this great performance? Part of the reason I don't think TFS is funny is because I know the rhythms and can usually tell where the gag is going. It rarely subverts expectations.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 pm

ABED wrote:What about that qualifies as good acting? Please be specific.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyi2IaxO00I

Can you honestly say this isn't incredibly well done? As a professional commercial videographer, I can personally attest to the amount of skill, talent and time that goes in to making something like this, let alone each Abridged episode. They actually edit the mouth movements to the voices near perfectly. Do you know how time consuming that is? TFS really puts in the work.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Avenant wrote:

Can you honestly say this isn't incredibly well done? As a professional commercial videographer, I can personally attest to the amount of skill, talent and time that goes in to making something like this, let alone each Abridged episode. They actually edit the mouth movements to the voices near perfectly. Do you know how time consuming that is? TFS really puts in the work.
They are good from a technical aspect but not a performance or humor aspect.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Avenant wrote:

They are good from a technical aspect but not a performance or humor aspect.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I find the humor refreshing, especially since it's mostly centered around making fun of many of the ridiculous things that made Dragon Ball great, the differences in dubs, the fandom and more. It's all in good fun.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 pm

I get what it was making fun of, but that doesn't make it funny. Anyone can make fun of those things, not everyone can do it well because execution is what matters, not the premise or the idea or object being ridiculed. I don't think they execute well.

Narrator - Brice Armstrong > Doc Morgan >>> Kyle Hebert > Dale Kelly > Andrew Chandler

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:55 pm

[quote="ABED"]I get what it was making fun of, but that doesn't make it funny. Anyone can make fun of those things, not everyone can do it well because execution is what matters, not the premise or the idea or object being ridiculed. I don't think they execute well.

Narrator - Brice Armstrong > Doc Morgan >>> Kyle Hebert > Dale Kelly > Andrew Chandler[i t

i just think that you don't like what they do , so you say that they're horrible

let me ask you a question : if its truly as bad as what you say , tell me why its so popular and loved by many people ?

look am personally not not a big fan of DBZA but i did enjoy watching it and i understand why people like it so much .
My English is poor .

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 pm

i just think that you don't like what they do , so you say that they're horrible
I don't like it BECAUSE it's horrible and I like some terrible shows like Power Rangers, but this is SO bad. I will give you this much - I think some of DBZA's fans do affect my opinion of the show. It's one thing if they just enjoyed it, but that they enjoy it to such an extent and either try to make it seem like you don't get the joke or will disagree but never back up their claims or try to put DBZA on a pedestal on par with the dub as though it's DBZA's a legit official dub.
let me ask you a question : if its truly as bad as what you say , tell me why its so popular and loved by many people ?
Popular doesn't mean quality. Plenty of popular and successful movies are awful. And there's no accounting for taste.
look am personally not not a big fan of DBZA but i did enjoy watching it and i understand why people like it so much .
I honestly don't understand it. There are movies and shows and books that I don't like but can see why others would. I can't for the life of me see what anyone sees in this. I've not laughed once. Not a single time in all the instances I've watched of DBZA. Not even a single chuckle or smile. I'm not that picky either. It's just not clever at all.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 pm

ABED wrote:
I don't like it BECAUSE it's horrible and I like some terrible shows like Power Rangers, but this is SO bad. I will give you this much - I think some of DBZA's fans do affect my opinion of the show. It's one thing if they just enjoyed it, but that they enjoy it to such an extent and either try to make it seem like you don't get the joke or will disagree but never back up their claims or try to put DBZA on a pedestal on par with the dub as though it's DBZA's a legit official dub.
Popular doesn't mean quality. Plenty of popular and successful movies are awful. And there's no accounting for taste.
I honestly don't understand it. There are movies and shows and books that I don't like but can see why others would. I can't for the life of me see what anyone sees in this. I've not laughed once. Not a single time in all the instances I've watched of DBZA. Not even a single chuckle or smile. I'm not that picky either. It's just not clever at all.
And while you're certainly entitled to your own opinion, quality of content is ultimately subjective. Your passionate hate for DBZA is strong enough that you're stating your opinion as fact when it always will be only an opinion.

It's wonderful that you have a strong opinion about it and I'll fight to the death for your right to say it, but that doesn't make it any more valuable than anyone else's. So instead of expressing such vitriol and contempt for it via retorts that basically boil down to "I'm right, you're wrong", why don't you make a cohesive post/thread to start a legitimate discussion on the topic?