Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball GT canonical?

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Zephyr wrote:
TheMikado wrote:So I will state this again since it's been lost... the events of Super. At its current and present time CAN FIT in same continuity timeline abeit with plotholes
In light of that point, I think a big thing that people tend to overlook in debates about GT and Super "coexisting in canon" or whatever, is the fact that even the baseline absolute core of the continuity (the manga) contains plotholes. Something creating inconsistencies or plotholes doesn't rule something out of being "canon", otherwise things like the Red Ribbon Army arc would be "non-canon", which would be silly.
Exactly this, side story of an official work doesn't make it non canon, it actually does the opposite. They are events that occurred during that time in the official timeline. It's pretty clear they each subsequent franchise has gone out of its way to ensure it fits in the main timeline without overlap. Depending on the outcome of Super it could be the same exact thing. We have no idea yet, and for all intents and purposes GTs events transpire over the course of one year so it's certainly not as if it takes up a huge chunk of the official DB outline. If they really really wanted to but don't see why they would, they could easily do a time skip which allows the events of GT to happen and there's no Goku or Goku went with shenron to the other universes or something. Basically just saying none of the events of GT have been overwritten at this point.

No idea about arrow verse.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

I think the simplest answer is that Dragon Ball has multiple continuities. There's the manga continuity, which is the original, then the DB/Z anime continuity and the separate movie continuity. GT and Super are mutually exclusive sequels to Z, and Super is further split into the manga and anime continuities plus the two movies. Then you have the hundreds of spin-offs and video games. The franchise is so big that you have to ask "canon to what?" Gogeta and the movie villains reappear in the latter half of GT, so it seems to take place in some version of the movie continuity.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 pm

GT was certainly canonical until recently because I think Super, BoG, and RoF were made differently simply to wipe GT off the timeline. People have always been arguing about why it's not canon because there's no manga for it and it's quite likely that Super was created to make an official canon for the story.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:43 pm

floofychan333 wrote:GT was certainly canonical until recently because I think Super, BoG, and RoF were made differently simply to wipe GT off the timeline. People have always been arguing about why it's not canon because there's no manga for it and it's quite likely that Super was created to make an official canon for the story.
It wasn't until Resurrection F that GT's canon status was really called into question. Battle Of Gods actually fits in just fine with the events of GT. The power scaling doesn't make a lot of sense, but it never has really, not since the Saiyan arc, or perhaps Namek.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is Dragon ball GT Canon?

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Kaboom wrote:Yes and no.

GT is both canon and non-canon.

Super is also both canon and non-canon.

Likewise, the various movies and specials are all both canon and non-canon.

Even the original manga is both canon and non-canon.

Dragon Ball does not have an official, authoritatively defined central canon.
This.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Given that canon was first used in reference to Sherlock Holmes, why do you guys insist on believing canon needs to be explicitly stated?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:46 pm

ABED wrote:Given that canon was first used in reference to Sherlock Holmes, why do you guys insist on believing canon needs to be explicitly stated?
Because with something that has as many different criss-crossing products, realities, re-tellings, and spin-offs as Dragon Ball... it kind of needs to be.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I agree Dragon Ball needs a canon just because there is way too much conflicting information coming from all different types of media.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Although it's clearly being avoided, it's necessary to point out and to consider a factor that people just want to be stubborn about this subject. Imagine a reality where even though it's not officially explicit, the majority would agree that canon is what the author created and works he accepted or has an involvement in the story aspect, such as Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman, Dragon Ball Minus, the original manga, Dragon Ball: Yo!! Son Goku and his Friends Return!!, Movie 14, Movie 15, Universe 6 saga, Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga. Only Dragon Ball Online being debatable, but generally accepted due to the vast content it adds to the lore and the fact that we know the author spent five years in its development. But since "there isn't an official canon", people just want to create this mess.

Then we have the "expanded universe", made up of all the other movies, OVAs, TV Specials, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Grimlock wrote:Although it's clearly being avoided, it's necessary to point out and to consider a factor that people just want to be stubborn about this subject. Imagine a reality where even though it's not officially explicit, the majority would agree that canon is what the author created and works he accepted or has an involvement in the story aspect, such as Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman, Dragon Ball Minus, the original manga, Dragon Ball: Yo!! Son Goku and his Friends Return!!, Movie 14, Movie 15, Universe 6 saga, Future Trunks saga and Universe Survival saga. Only Dragon Ball Online being debatable, but generally accepted due to the vast content it adds to the lore and the fact that we know the author spent five years in its development. But since "there isn't an official canon", people just want to create this mess.
Which version of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are the "real" versions that "happened"? Why? Who says?

How does the manga end? Why? Who says?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Kaboom wrote:
ABED wrote:Given that canon was first used in reference to Sherlock Holmes, why do you guys insist on believing canon needs to be explicitly stated?
Because with something that has as many different criss-crossing products, realities, re-tellings, and spin-offs as Dragon Ball... it kind of needs to be.
Sorry, I meant "why do you insist on believing canon needs to be explicitly stated in order for there to be a canon?" Sir Arthur Conan Doyle didn't say "this is canon". And I don't see how different products and retellings brings up questions of DB's canon. Do you wonder if DB movie 1 is canon because it's a retelling?

I don't think having multiple endings for the manga means DB doesn't have a canon, it simply puts the ending in question, not the rest of the story.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:36 pm

My personal approach to canon is this:

The exact details of filler, movies, etc is uncertain. The basic story happened, but the specifics are probably not the exact same way as depicted onscreen. Some version of all the movies happened, but was it exactly like how it was portrayed onscreen? Unlikely. So at some point, Turles came to Earth and got his ass kicked by Goku, but it probably wasn't exactly like how it was in Tree of Might.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:My personal approach to canon is this:

The exact details of filler, movies, etc is uncertain. The basic story happened, but the specifics are probably not the exact same way as depicted onscreen. Some version of all the movies happened, but was it exactly like how it was portrayed onscreen? Unlikely. So at some point, Turles came to Earth and got his ass kicked by Goku, but it probably wasn't exactly like how it was in Tree of Might.
It can't be stated enough that canon isn't a matter of personal preference, and in the case of the movies, Toriyama has explicitly stated that they take place in an alternate universe or something to that effect.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:52 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Which version of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' are the "real" versions that "happened"? Why? Who says?
The movies. Because we know Toriyama was involved in their stories. Says lots of information we have so far (I've linked just two pieces of info, there's more but it should be enough).
VegettoEX wrote:How does the manga end? Why? Who says?
The manga ends the way the author wants, and the author wants it to end in the Kanzenban way. Because that was the last thing he added before 2010s Dragon Ball age, that was the last time the ending of Dragon Ball was touched. No one says.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Grimlock wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:How does the manga end? Why? Who says?
The manga ends the way the author wants, and the author wants it to end in the Kanzenban way. Because that was the last thing he added before 2010s Dragon Ball age, that was the last time the ending of Dragon Ball was touched. No one says.
Both endings are so similar that I don't think there should be a debate on which one is canon.

One ends with Uub on Goku's back while the other ends with him getting the flying numbus. other than that they're basically the same.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 am

Grimlock wrote:The manga ends the way the author wants, and the author wants it to end in the Kanzenban way. Because that was the last thing he added before 2010s Dragon Ball age, that was the last time the ending of Dragon Ball was touched. No one says.
If I were to accept that, I'd have to accept the Lucas Revised Original Star Wars Trilogy. I don't think I can do that.
Retired.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Grimlock wrote:The manga ends the way the author wants, and the author wants it to end in the Kanzenban way. Because that was the last thing he added before 2010s Dragon Ball age, that was the last time the ending of Dragon Ball was touched. No one says.
<br abp="634">If I were to accept that, I'd have to accept the Lucas Revised Original Star Wars Trilogy. I don't think I can do that.
Why not? It is in fact canon. That's not saying it's better. It's just acknowledging it's the official version.

babaGAReeb 2
Banned

Post by babaGAReeb 2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 am

Kaboom wrote:Yes and no.

GT is both canon and non-canon.

Super is also both canon and non-canon.

Likewise, the various movies and specials are all both canon and non-canon.

Even the original manga is both canon and non-canon.

Dragon Ball does not have an official, authoritatively defined central canon.
this is what delusional gt-tards believe

there is a canon and it is the manga and super

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:27 am

babaGAReeb 2 wrote:this is what delusional gt-tards believe
This is not an appropriate way to have a conversation here. Please review the community guidelines before making further contributions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

babaGAReeb 2
Banned

Post by babaGAReeb 2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am

VegettoEX wrote:
babaGAReeb 2 wrote:this is what delusional gt-tards believe
This is not an appropriate way to have a conversation here. Please review the community guidelines before making further contributions.
I'm sorry i will reword that and be more respectable

i think ppl who like DBGT have rather bad taste and are emotionally hurt from GT being non-canon so they believe complete lies like "there is no offical canon" to make themselves feel better

hows dat