Sooooo.... Nicktoons? Yay or Nay?¡

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Sooooo.... Nicktoons? Yay or Nay?¡

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Many people love them but in recent years more and more criticism has come their way. I loved them, but I would love people's perspective on the whole thing.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Re: Sooooo.... Nicktoons? Yay or Nay?¡

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Opinions on what, exactly? Dragon Ball Z Kai and/or GT's run on Nicktoons? The network as a whole?
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I love it in general and I love it for DB. I really loved watching Kai on there and was even happier when they aired the movies and the specials.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Opinions on what, exactly? Dragon Ball Z Kai and/or GT's run on Nicktoons? The network as a whole?

If you and or anyone else liked or disliked the Franchise's stay for whatever reason, like exposure, censorship, or whatever other reason you may have to like or dislike how Nicktoons treated Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 pm

I thought it was great to have DB on Nicktoons. Lots of exposure to a younger audience, and from what I've seen, the censorship almost never felt like it was more than necessary (the Toonzai edits are the ones that get me).

I never watched GT on Nicktoons, but I've heard that they aired it uncensored, which actually bothers me just a little bit. I'm sure the kids were fine, though.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:35 pm

While its always nice to see Krillin get impaled and characters bleed the Nicktoons censorship definitely didnt bother me and I never noticed how much they went to avoid die and kill because the replacement dialog sounded natural.

I'll take the censored Kai dub on Nicktoons that still has Kai's superior music, voice acting, and script over the Toonami dub with the blood any day of the week.

The Toonzai dub with the blue popo and the glowing orbs of light replacing halos was a bit ridiculous though. If you censored something that passed by Saban in 96 you're a little too cautious.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Sure. I'm pretty sure DragonBall being on Nicktoons was how a few people on this site got into DragonBall. So it does a great job of introducing it to a new audience. Kind of a shame that Super isn't on a channel for the younger viewers.

The only push back I've seen from it is the censorship but I'm unsure why that's a huge deal to the older fans. When we here in the states got it on Toonami it was plenty censored. It's strange that some would pretend like it wasn't. I even have both the T.V broadcast version and the uncensored version of the show on VHS. There is quite a bit of difference in certain parts.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
The only push back I've seen from it is the censorship but I'm unsure why that's a huge deal to the older fans. When we here in the states got it on Toonami it was plenty censored. It's strange that some would pretend like it wasn't. I even have both the T.V broadcast version and the uncensored version of the show on VHS. There is quite a bit of difference in certain parts.

I do genuinely think the Toonami broadcast version has been effectively wiped out in the nostalgia of casual fans mind. Most of them would revisit the series with their dvds which are uncut plus Funimation went back and had some of the actors re-record their dialog in s3. And I think of fans believe that is the version they watch on tv. I remember reading one topic on GameFaq I think that complained about Kai censoring Freeza impaling Krillin even though the Toonami broadcast did the exact same thing.

Just like how quite a numbers of fans online seem to forget the Texas cast wasn't the original English cast or that they started out doing poor impersonations. The boxsets is how fans remember the dub being

Trunksuu

Post by Trunksuu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 pm

I found out about DBZ by watching GT on Nicktoons with my brother when I was younger. I thank Nicktoons for introducing DBZ to me and for creating good memories with my brother and I.
Trunks: These androids are ruthless, they delight in causing pain and chaos.
Living on Earth in my time is like living in a nightmare. Always running and hiding and looking for a way out.

Trunks: I can't find hope in the present, but if I change the past can I find hope for the future?

Android 18: Ugh! I hate you!
Trunks: You hate the fact that you're powerless to stop me. That you're completely outmatched. Well imagine feeling what you do now all of the time like the people of this planet do. Fools! How do you think my master Gohan felt when you ganged up on him in the rain and he had no way out? Well, now it's your turn, I hope you enjoy it.

Trunks: Gohan, why'd you have to do it, why'd you have to leave me? It's not fair! Oh gosh no... what did they do to you Gohan? You were my best friend, you were everything to me... everything! This just isn't fair! Gohan, Gohan, GOHAN!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:05 pm

I didn't care. I feel like people have a huge deal of Kai on Nick Toons in 2010-2012 when it was nowhere as huge as people made it out to be.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Loved it. It helped get my baby brother into the series and it restored my faith in anime becoming mainstream again.

It also challenged the statistics on anime not doing well on TV outside basic cable.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 am

I love all the cute stories I heard here! So awesome!