How edited was Toriyama during Dragon ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How edited was Toriyama during Dragon ball?

Post by Totamo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:58 pm

I have looked this up and there is only one example of toriyama being edited and it was the cell saga which made that arc worse in my opinion.

A lot of people say Toriyama is a shitty writer and that dragon ball was only good because of his editors. I find that to be bullshit especially because dragon ball isn't known for its writing but art and humor as well as wit.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Re: How edited was Toriyama during dragon ball?

Post by Avenant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Just reading Toriyama's interviews, I can tell that most of the magic of Dragon Ball comes from him. He's an incredibly interesting person and his humor really shows the heart of the series.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Probably as much as any other Shonen manga, as far as I know each writer has an editor or more who they work with when coming up with ideas, characters designs,etc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 pm

Totamo wrote:I have looked this up and there is only one example of toriyama being edited and it was the cell saga which made that arc worse in my opinion.
I diagree. Toriyama's editor interfering with the Android saga and the Cell saga only existing because of said interference was for the best. 19 and 20 would have been some lame ass big bads.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Totamo wrote:I have looked this up and there is only one example of toriyama being edited and it was the cell saga which made that arc worse in my opinion.
I diagree. Toriyama's editor interfering with the Android saga and the Cell saga only existing because of said interference was for the best. 19 and 20 would have been some lame ass big bads.
Yes but it made the whole arc convuluted with 18, 17, 16 and cell as well as creating plotholes.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: How edited was Toriyama during Dragon ball?

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Everyone needs editors of some sort, but I'm sure he kept in control of the manga. He's made decisions and taken the story in directions that I imagine would be vetoed by editors with too much power.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Totamo wrote: A lot of people say Toriyama is a shitty writer and that dragon ball was only good because of his editors.
I have never seen anyone say this, nevermind "a lot of people". You are either using a lot of hyperbole here or this is a strawman argument.

Anyway, I don't know how edited he was during Dragon Ball (it's not like he has to mention everything that was edited). I do know that Dr Slump character Dr Mashirito was based on Kazuhiko Torishima (Toriyama's editor on both DS and DB, the same guy from the example in your post) and "rejected" was kind of a catchphrase of his, so I would guess Mr. Torishima had a lot to say about Toriyama's work :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Yes but it made the whole arc convuluted with 18, 17, 16 and cell as well as creating plotholes.
Plot holes are inherent in time travel stories and I don't see how 17, 18, 16, and Cell made things so convoluted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:04 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Everyone needs editors of some sort, but I'm sure he kept in control of the manga. He's made decisions and taken the story in directions that I imagine would be vetoed by editors with too much power.
He said they didn't want him to grow Goku up but he said he did it anyway.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:27 pm

sintzu wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Everyone needs editors of some sort, but I'm sure he kept in control of the manga. He's made decisions and taken the story in directions that I imagine would be vetoed by editors with too much power.
He said they didn't want him to grow Goku up but he said he did it anyway.
Exactly. This is an example that shows Toriyama had a lot of power over his editors and was willing to stick with his gut rather than blindly follow what would be a sure fire way to make DB popular.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu