Is Toriyama a Jehovah witness? Or some other religious sect?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Is Toriyama a Jehovah witness? Or some other religious sect?

Post by DBSQA » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:16 pm

I heard about it before but I'm not to sure, I searched it up and there is a Jehovah witness kingdom's hall in Nagoya, but I don't know about Kiyosu.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Is Toriyama a Jehovah witness? Or some other religious sect?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I don't think so. He's likely Buddhist, since most of the Japanese population practices that religion.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:30 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think so. He's likely Buddhist, since most of the Japanese population practices that religion.
Most of the Japanese population practices Shintō, not Buddhism.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't think so. He's likely Buddhist, since most of the Japanese population practices that religion.
Most of the Japanese population practices Shintō, not Buddhism.
From my understanding, both are quite prevalent.
Retired.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:56 pm

No, though apparently the rumor that he was was significant enough that he had to clarify that he wasn't. It would have been funny if he was and that is why anime Goku didn't like needles...because of a fear of blood transfusions or something.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

This came up in my searching on the web the other day, and apparently there was some promo in Japan for Dragon Quest 3 that talked about the armageddon. This coupled with some locations in Dragon Quest 3 being similar to biblical references like the Tower of Babel led Japanese fans to the misconception that Toriyama is a Jehovah's Witness. But it's pure gossip.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Makaioshin wrote:No, though apparently the rumor that he was was significant enough that he had to clarify that he wasn't. It would have been funny if he was and that is why anime Goku didn't like needles...because of a fear of blood transfusions or something.
Yeah I have that book, but I don't understand Japanese so I can't understand it. Do you have the page number or something? Also, I don't know. Goku being a jehovah witness makes him being afraid of needles seems less funny to me. It just makes his reason make more sense, however him being afraid of the needle because he is afraid of the pain is more funny considering he is suppose to be the strongest guy in the world...or at least one of the strongest guys.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

In that same thread, Kei17 mentioned AT also said: "基本的に宗教は嫌い (I basically dislike religions)".

I can see Toriyama as this type of person.

Also, interestingly, JulieYBM mentioned that Toshio Furukawa is Christian. I was not expecting that & was very surprised to hear it. Not personally religious, but I do kind of think that's sweet for some reason.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Me too! I know there are many terrible christians but he's awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm sure there are more good Christians than bad.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

I know, but I might be seen in a bad light if I dont adress the bad apples.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:37 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:In that same thread, Kei17 mentioned AT also said: "基本的に宗教は嫌い (I basically dislike religions)".

I can see Toriyama as this type of person.

Also, interestingly, JulieYBM mentioned that Toshio Furukawa is Christian. I was not expecting that & was very surprised to hear it. Not personally religious, but I do kind of think that's sweet for some reason.
I have that book that kei17 quoted,do you have the page number?Also, I heard Gen (forget his last name) head of Funimation was a Christian too. Apparently his uncle worked at Toei animation which is why they were able to license dragon ball and dub the show.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Megumi Hayashibara, one of the most famous Japanese voice actresses, is apparently Catholic. I'm kind of surprised.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Makaioshin wrote:No, though apparently the rumor that he was was significant enough that he had to clarify that he wasn't. It would have been funny if he was and that is why anime Goku didn't like needles...because of a fear of blood transfusions or something.
The closes I could find to kei17's quote in the bonus track Toriyama section was this 基本的 に , I think it just means 'Basically' I couldn't find the rest of the symbols added up together that would make that Japanese sentence. I wonder if it was just a direct quote or Kei17 was basing off of memory. It be nice to know if he is still active.

JustaboyZen

Post by JustaboyZen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Megumi Hayashibara, one of the most famous Japanese voice actresses, is apparently Catholic. I'm kind of surprised.
This is more common in Japan than you might think. Toriyama confirmed somewhere that he was Shinto I just cba to find it. But if he ever showed up to my house I'd prob freak out and welcome him in, so I wouldn't be opposed to that lol.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:05 pm

JustaboyZen wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Megumi Hayashibara, one of the most famous Japanese voice actresses, is apparently Catholic. I'm kind of surprised.
This is more common in Japan than you might think. Toriyama confirmed somewhere that he was Shinto I just cba to find it. But if he ever showed up to my house I'd prob freak out and welcome him in, so I wouldn't be opposed to that lol.

Where did he confirmed that he is Shinto? I guess that would explain all the gods in dragon ball.Also, that part where you are referring to Toriyama being a Jehovah witness coming to your house, reminds me of Prince the singer, who was friends with Michael Jackson. He was a Jehovah witness and people were cool with him knocking on their doors, the fans were actually excited to see him.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:38 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm sure there are more good Christians than bad.
Yeah, I'm an atheist personally but I don't hate Christianity, even though I left it. There are bad and good people of all kinds, like for example there are atheists out there that are toxic dipwads that think all religious people think one way and there are atheists such as myself that believe in religious tolerance (though I'm against religiously influenced bigotry).

Anyway, back when I was lurking here I saw somebody post that Toriyama is a Christian. I can't remember where. Since Kei17 posted a quote from him that says he's non-religious, I can only assume that he's either taken up religion at some point in his life or left his religion.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SSBX

Post by SSBX » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm sure there are more good Christians than bad.
Yeah, I'm an atheist personally but I don't hate Christianity, even though I left it. There are bad and good people of all kinds, like for example there are atheists out there that are toxic dipwads that think all religious people think one way and there are atheists such as myself that believe in religious tolerance (though I'm against religiously influenced bigotry).

Anyway, back when I was lurking here I saw somebody post that Toriyama is a Christian. I can't remember where. Since Kei17 posted a quote from him that says he's non-religious, I can only assume that he's either taken up religion at some point in his life or left his religion.
Apparently, OP says He/She couldn't find that quote in the Toriyama bonus track section of the book Kei17 reference.And that post was false, just because Goku wears a holo does not make him Christian. But that post was also based on a quote from Kanzenshuu where Toriyama says he turns to God. But no one knows if he was joking, being serious or both.(he laughed after saying that)
Every time I see a carrot, I always think of Goku.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:01 am

Michie Tomizawa (Sailor Mars) is also a Christian.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Michie Tomizawa (Sailor Mars) is also a Christian.
Why do you keep reviving dead threads?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"