Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 am

Kokonoe wrote:
She's not flamboyant as much as androgynous and vaguely sexual. Freeza comes off as a 80's cartoon villain.
I....never got "sexual" from that voice. I also haven't heard of an 80's cartoon that sounds like Frieza in the Funi Dub. Feel free to point me to performances that are similar.
"Four strong men against little ol' me" and "Okay big boy, whatever turns you on!" don't sound sexual to you?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat May 13, 2017 3:56 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
She's not flamboyant as much as androgynous and vaguely sexual. Freeza comes off as a 80's cartoon villain.
I....never got "sexual" from that voice. I also haven't heard of an 80's cartoon that sounds like Frieza in the Funi Dub. Feel free to point me to performances that are similar.
"Four strong men against little ol' me" and "Okay big boy, whatever turns you on!" don't sound sexual to you?
lol, I had forgotten about those lines. Yes, that absolutely does. Once again, an issue with the script.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 13, 2017 7:39 am

That could've been for a myriad of reasons, such as age. Certain voice actors can't do certain voices even 8 or so years after the fact due their voice changing with time or age. With that said, I can actually disagree with Sabat. Of course, I haven't heard Young's performance at the time of Kai as that was behind closed doors, so who knows?
Sabat has stated why in interviews.
We differ here, no one is more correct than the other.
We aren't debating over what's the best color. While there's room for debate in many cases, there are in fact bad performances.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Definitely Kai

Prince of Vegetables

Post by Prince of Vegetables » Sun May 21, 2017 1:48 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: SSUltimateGoku. THAT'S who I had my argument with! Couldn't remember his name when I brought that story up. That guy's some ungodly mix of a fanboy, nostalgia brat, copycat (since he tried to copy the format I was responding to him in & doing it rather poorly), illiterate (since he makes a lot of elementary spelling & grammar mistakes), & just a person who acts first before thinking something through. I've NEVER been so frustrated in an argument with someone who seems like a troll, but is actually legitimate in their own bullshit rants. My god, that guy.
SSUltimateGoku is TeenGohanFighter. Also, he is on this forum under the name Gokuisasuperhero and started the Bruce
come back thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38175
Lol I was just thinking the same now that you confirmed that Gokuisasuperhero was TeengohanFighter it makes sense
I guessed it was him from the very beginning
Ossu! Ora Gokū

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 am

Kai by a country mile.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:05 pm

If we're talking purely about the Funimation dubs, Kai wins by a landslide.

If we include the Ocean dubs(Excluding Kai, of course :( ), they win for me.
The reason is: If I want to watch a faithful version of Dragon Ball, I'll watch it in Japanese. If I want to watch that fun '90s cartoon I used to watch way back when with my brother, I'll watch the Ocean dub.
Plus, I prefer the Ocean voices(Since this is a case of Ocean vs Kai, my preference of the voices is for purely subjective reasons, which I won't bore you with).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:25 am

ABED wrote:That terrible dialog can affect and clearly did affect the performance. Young is the kind of performer that can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers.
I'm not alone in my view.
You say it is sinister but it doesn't come across as a dangerous character. It comes across as a Saturday morning cartoon villain. There's nothing sinister about her delivery of "I'll beat your tail" or "round and round the monkey goes, if he stops off with his nose". There is something unsettling about a person who is very relaxed about hurting people. Whether you are alone or not in your view doesn't matter. Sabat found Ayres because Young couldn't properly deliver the lines from more accurate scripts.
No, I have no problem with Young's flamboyancy with the voice, I just feel it's a better execution of it.

Every single line that comes out of Young's mouth as Freeza is a strain. She's not remotely natural or relaxed. It's a forced performance.
You could say that while she comes off as a 80's cartoon villain, Young doesn't have the charm or the acting talent of Frank Welker's Megatron, Chris Latta's Cobra Commander and Alan Oppenheimer's Skeletor.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:32 am

You could say that while she comes off as a 80's cartoon villain, Young doesn't have the charm or the acting talent of Frank Welker's Megatron, Chris Latta's Cobra Commander and Alan Oppenheimer's Skeletor.
Of course not. You mentioned the best of the best.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:31 am

Had Latta lived, I bet he could have done an amazing Frieza if he lowered down either his Starscream or Cobra Commander voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Kai without a doubt, adapted for western audiences but keeping it's spirit intact, with great enjoyable acting.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Kai without a doubt, although it's still not as perfect as it could have been with a few more recasts and ditching some of the old dub terms.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Very easily and obviously Kai. For some reason I keep seeing in the comments of Kai clips on Youtube (the most upvoted comments, no less) people saying that Kai is "the worst thing to ever happen to Dragon Ball" and that all the voice actors sound like they're phoning it in and just want to get a paycheck, and how the script and the voice actors were so much better and passionate in Z.

I've already given myself a rash from how hard I've been scratching my head. Can't even begin to understand how people can come to conclusions like that, let alone what seems like a good majority of people. They all insist it's not nostalgia, but when you make comments like that I don't know what else you would call it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Asura wrote:Very easily and obviously Kai. For some reason I keep seeing in the comments of Kai clips on Youtube (the most upvoted comments, no less) people saying that Kai is "the worst thing to ever happen to Dragon Ball" and that all the voice actors sound like they're phoning it in and just want to get a paycheck, and how the script and the voice actors were so much better and passionate in Z.

I've already given myself a rash from how hard I've been scratching my head. Can't even begin to understand how people can come to conclusions like that, let alone what seems like a good majority of people. They all insist it's not nostalgia, but when you make comments like that I don't know what else you would call it.
To be fair, I can totally understand people who make the "phoning it in" complaint regarding some characters. Eric Vale's Trunks is the first that comes to mind as one whose Kai performance was quite a demotion compared to Z.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Asura wrote:Very easily and obviously Kai. For some reason I keep seeing in the comments of Kai clips on Youtube (the most upvoted comments, no less) people saying that Kai is "the worst thing to ever happen to Dragon Ball" and that all the voice actors sound like they're phoning it in and just want to get a paycheck, and how the script and the voice actors were so much better and passionate in Z.

To be fair, I can totally understand people who make the "phoning it in" complaint regarding some characters. Eric Vale's Trunks is the first that comes to mind as one whose Kai performance was quite a demotion compared to Z.
Vale's performance in Kai was better, but his voice in Z was better IMO.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Vale's performance in Kai was better, but his voice in Z was better IMO.
What does that mean? If you're saying the script was better, I'd agree, but I don't understand the distinction between the voice and the performance.
Retired.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:To be fair, I can totally understand people who make the "phoning it in" complaint regarding some characters. Eric Vale's Trunks is the first that comes to mind as one whose Kai performance was quite a demotion compared to Z.
I disagree. I think 8000 Saiyan is right when he says that Vale's voice was much better in Z, but his performance is clearly better in Kai.
I also don't see any examples of characters phoning it in. It's very obvious to see that they're all much better than they were in Z because in Z they were all amateurs. The voice actors themselves even admit they're a lot better now, and it shows.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Vale's performance in Kai was better, but his voice in Z was better IMO.
What does that mean? If you're saying the script was better, I'd agree, but I don't understand the distinction between the voice and the performance.
Voice is how a voice actor sounds
Performance is how a voice actor emotes.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I'm saying his acting in Kai was better. It's not difficult to understand the difference between acting and voice.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Asura wrote:Voice is how a voice actor sounds
I think I get you. Though I wouldn't say there's much difference between Eric Vale's Trunks as far as emotion goes between Z and Kai.

We'll soon get to see what he's really made of in Super, though. Only... half a year maybe?
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Asura wrote:Voice is how a voice actor sounds
I think I get you. Though I wouldn't say there's much difference between Eric Vale's Trunks as far as emotion goes between Z and Kai.

We'll soon get to see what he's really made of in Super, though. Only... half a year maybe?
I think he'll do a good job. He needs to take off his rasp and he'll be fine.