Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm

There are plenty of times when Piccolo and Vegeta are yelling or powering-up where they sound the same. I don't know, maybe I pick up on it easier.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:There are plenty of times when Piccolo and Vegeta are yelling or powering-up where they sound the same. I don't know, maybe I pick up on it easier.
Still hyperbole. You don't have more sensitive hearing, they are SIMILAR by virtue of being the same actor, but they aren't the same.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

There are numerous times where I could tell that Vegeta and Piccolo share the same voice actor, like when they laugh. Sabat is no Frank Welker or Mel Blanc when it comes to masking his voice.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Piccolo's voice is either Sabat's voice, but deeper or more gravelly, Yamcha is more or less Sabat's normal voice, and his Vegeta is raspier than his normal speaking voice. The screams might have a little bit of overlap but they aren't the same.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 pm

ABED wrote:Piccolo's voice is either Sabat's voice, but deeper or more gravelly, Yamcha is more or less Sabat's normal voice, and his Vegeta is raspier than his normal speaking voice. The screams might have a little bit of overlap but they aren't the same.
Still there's something that doesn't feel natural about it. There's still that surfer dude vibe.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:Piccolo's voice is either Sabat's voice, but deeper or more gravelly, Yamcha is more or less Sabat's normal voice, and his Vegeta is raspier than his normal speaking voice. The screams might have a little bit of overlap but they aren't the same.
Still there's something that doesn't feel natural about it. There's still that surfer dude vibe.
He dropped that surfer vibe over a decade ago. It's not exactly his natural talking voice, much like Schemmel isn't using his natural talking voice. It's a performance, but it's not a completely different register.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:26 pm

ABED wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
He dropped that surfer vibe over a decade ago. It's not exactly his natural talking voice, much like Schemmel isn't using his natural talking voice. It's a performance, but it's not a completely different register.
Maybe it's just me, but I still get that vibe.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:49 pm

ABED wrote: He dropped that surfer vibe over a decade ago. It's not exactly his natural talking voice, much like Schemmel isn't using his natural talking voice. It's a performance, but it's not a completely different register.
Whatever it is, it's odd...

EHH EHH HUEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyPAzyC0us

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:53 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
ABED wrote: He dropped that surfer vibe over a decade ago. It's not exactly his natural talking voice, much like Schemmel isn't using his natural talking voice. It's a performance, but it's not a completely different register.
Whatever it is, it's odd...

EHH EHH HUEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyPAzyC0us
I hear more of a Canadian accent than a surfer vibe in Kelamis' Goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Regardless, Vegeta and Piccolo are still way too close. They're characters that share a fair amount of screen time, so I don't know why they couldn't direct Sabat to change one of them up a bit. Then again, he is the director, so there's that.

And look, you can sit here and try to prove to me all you want, but in my opinion Piccolo and Vegeta sound much more alike than I want them to. It doesn't require explanation and it doesn't require a thorough analysis -- that's how I feel. So there's no need to sit there trying to defend it.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm Canadian and imo it just sounds odd

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:54 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I was pointing to instances where the same voice actor played multiple roles but the voices don't sound alike. Sean Schemmel played Goku and Kaio, but they didn't sound alike. Nail sounded like Super Saiyan 4 Goku, though. And Brian Drummond played Vegeta and Yajirobe, but they didn't sound alike. That's an instance where if you have to use the same person for multiple roles, at least there's a difference in the voice.

And I understand that it's a penny saver because after all, I'm sure that the actors don't get paid more if they do more roles (fairly certain I heard this confirmed either in a DBZ related interview or for another series), but still. It comes off very cheap. As I said, if you're gonna do it, at least have the decency to direct the actor to change the voice more or if you have to, edit it.
This is my problem with FUNimation Dubs of Dragon Ball, they make sabat Voice too many characters and if it was old Z dub Only we can understand because of Low Budget but even in Kai and Super Dub?
FUNimation now is a big Company and has a Big Pool of Voice Actors and still are Miser and cheap when it comes to voice casting and every 4th Character is voiced by Sabat in dub in my opinion this is what makes FUNimation DB Dubs inferior to Japanese Version
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:This is my problem with FUNimation Dubs of Dragon Ball, they make sabat Voice too many characters and if it was old Z dub Only we can understand because of Low Budget but even in Kai and Super Dub?
FUNimation now is a big Company and has a Big Pool of Voice Actors and still are Miser and cheap when it comes to voice casting and every 4th Character is voiced by Sabat in dub in my opinion this is what makes FUNimation DB Dubs inferior to Japanese Version
You realize Sabat's given up a lot of roles since Kai's dub started, right? The only characters he now consistently voices are Vegeta, Piccolo, Kami, Yamcha, Korin, Shenron, Parunga, & maybe a few others that I can't remember. They have expanded their acting pool. You're just being hyperbolic & exaggerating.
Plus, it's not like that makes a dub automatically inferior to the Japanese version. So many actors can modulate their voice tones to be so radically different so you wouldn't be able to tell unless you read about it or it was pointed out to you.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I was pointing to instances where the same voice actor played multiple roles but the voices don't sound alike. Sean Schemmel played Goku and Kaio, but they didn't sound alike. Nail sounded like Super Saiyan 4 Goku, though. And Brian Drummond played Vegeta and Yajirobe, but they didn't sound alike. That's an instance where if you have to use the same person for multiple roles, at least there's a difference in the voice.

And I understand that it's a penny saver because after all, I'm sure that the actors don't get paid more if they do more roles (fairly certain I heard this confirmed either in a DBZ related interview or for another series), but still. It comes off very cheap. As I said, if you're gonna do it, at least have the decency to direct the actor to change the voice more or if you have to, edit it.
Actually Sean's Goku in Kai sounded a lot like His Kaiō voice specially while screaming because In kai his screams were more raspy and rough which sounded a lot like a deeper version of Kaiō Screaming as here is an Example specially if you skip to 3:27 and watch from There onwards
I think Doc Morgan would have done a good Job for Kaiō.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:38 am

Scsigs wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:This is my problem with FUNimation Dubs of Dragon Ball, they make sabat Voice too many characters and if it was old Z dub Only we can understand because of Low Budget but even in Kai and Super Dub?
You realize Sabat's given up a lot of roles since Kai's dub started, right? The only characters he now consistently voices are Vegeta, Piccolo, Kami, Yamcha, Korin, Shenron, Parunga, & maybe a few others that I can't remember. They have expanded their acting pool. You're just being hyperbolic & exaggerating.
Plus, it's not like that makes a dub automatically inferior to the Japanese version. So many actors can modulate their voice tones to be so radically different so you wouldn't be able to tell unless you read about it or it was pointed out to you.
It's not like the Japanese version doesn't do it like many Dub Fans critisize Nozawa for Voicing Goku, Gohan and Goten but she does a great job Differentiating between not only their voices but speaking tone as well and also they are blood Relatives so them sounding similar to isn't much of an issue. But, that doesn't work in dub because we have 3 Completely Different Voice Actors for Goku, Gohan and Goten because they want the voice casting to be more realistic and also, FUNimation has a Big Pool of Voice Actors then why does Sabat still voices so many Characters in Kai like Vegeta / Piccolo / Yamcha / Kami / Bubbles / Korin / Recoome / Porunga / Shenron / Grandpa Gohan / Saiyan Ape / King Vegeta / King Piccolo / Olibu and I was recently watching Kai TFC Episode and I actually noted that his Piccolo and Vegeta do sound a lot alike than I thought, they should have casted someone else for Yamcha and Piccolo. Also, his Kami and Grandpa Gohan voice is similar. His Reecom was horrible in both Z and Kai, even the Ocean Dub Reecom sounded way better .

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:08 am

And look, you can sit here and try to prove to me all you want, but in my opinion Piccolo and Vegeta sound much more alike than I want them to. It doesn't require explanation and it doesn't require a thorough analysis -- that's how I feel. So there's no need to sit there trying to defend it.
Maybe they sound too close for your tastes, but they don't sound the same. That's hardly a thorough analysis.

Mr. Mark I was talking about Sabat, not Kelamis.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 am

ABED wrote:
Maybe they sound too close for your tastes, but they don't sound the same. That's hardly a thorough analysis.

Mr. Mark I was talking about Sabat, not Kelamis.
Whoops my bad.

Also I do agree that Sabat, as of kai onwards, has bridged enough of a gap where his voices are all distinct enough from each other.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:30 am

I think the voices have always sounded distinct, but they haven't always sounded good.

In Z:
Piccolo - Too gravelly
Vegeta - A terrible Drummond imitation
Yamcha - Sounded like a dumb surfer. Oddly enough, he didn't included the surfer accent in Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle, which was the first thing FUNi ever made with the in-house cast

Olibu was voiced by Rick Robertson, not Sabat

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I actually preferred the very first Piccolo voice that Sabat did. Aside from some terrible lines, I felt the voice was good. I despised that Vegeta voice. I didn't mind his voice in the "Android Saga," and always felt that it was probably the one he should have kept. That "Frieza Saga" voice that Vegeta had was so awful. Other than that, obviously Kai takes it. Even though I don't like Colleen Clickenbeard for Gohan (sounds way too whiney), it's hard to compare it to Z's Nadolny because of the experience factor. Obviously Ayres is much better as Freeza than Linda Young. Let's see... I never paid enough attention to the Kai dub to really get a feel for who was the better #18, but Meredith McCoy always did a good job. The new Bulma... eh... I guess better than Vollmer.

Obviously the experience factor and the actual script win in Kai. I just do feel like a lot of Kai's lines are rushed and thus, oftentimes lack emotion. That's just my perspective. In the Z dub, I feel like they milked the emotion maybe a bit too much and in Kai (which really started with Ultimate Uncut), they're just speed-reading through it.

I'm a guy who loves the dub because of nostalgic reasons, but there's no way that I'd buy anyone really being able to tell me that the Kai dub was worse than the Z dub even with the script aside. Of course the Z dub was light years ahead of itself by the time Boo rolled around, but let's not pretend like they were so experienced by then; it was only a couple of years later. The GT dub was more or less when they got a handle on it and it would really carry over onto Ultimate Uncut and then to Kai.

Still, obviously Kai wins. It's really hard to claim that it doesn't. The quality that goes into it. And I will say this: the majority of the new voices (like for new characters or re-casts) sound much more natural and professional. I feel like it still grates my ears a bit to listen to Sabat, Schemmel, and Sonny Strait, but that might not be their fault -- their style of voices are iconic to the dub and thus, they can't really experiment with making them sound more natural. So, I give that a pass. But if you close your eyes and listen to some of their newer gets (like for Beerus and whatnot), then it definitely doesn't sound like the cartoony DBZ that the dub gave us originally.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:It's not like the Japanese version doesn't do it like many Dub Fans critisize Nozawa for Voicing Goku, Gohan and Goten but she does a great job Differentiating between not only their voices but speaking tone as well and also they are blood Relatives so them sounding similar to isn't much of an issue.

Maybe if you listen to her consistently or speak Japanese, but to someone who doesn't, it's still hard to say that that's what's going on. It's still the same tone; an old woman trying to sound like men & a kid to me. I have nothing against her, but that's my experience.
Ripper 30 wrote:But, that doesn't work in dub because we have 3 Completely Different Voice Actors for Goku, Gohan and Goten because they want the voice casting to be more realistic

Well, sort of. In all of the dubs, kid Goku & Gohan have had the same actress in most of the shows & movies; either Stephanie Nadolny, or Colleen Clinkenbeard depending on the years the show or movie was dubbed. The outlier is Goten being voiced by Kara Edwards instead, which I don't mind.
Ripper 30 wrote:...also, FUNimation has a Big Pool of Voice Actors then why does Sabat still voices so many Characters in Kai like Vegeta / Piccolo / Yamcha / Kami / Bubbles / Korin / Recoome / Porunga / Shenron / Grandpa Gohan / Saiyan Ape / King Vegeta / King Piccolo / Olibu...
Because he has been for almost 20 years now & it'd be weird if he didn't. Also, which voices sound the same? Minus Porunga & Shenron & the Piccolos (which make sense because the younger one's a reincarnation of King Piccolo), I don't hear any similarities.
Ripper 30 wrote:...I was recently watching [an] Kai TFC Episode and I actually noted that his Piccolo and Vegeta do sound a lot [more] alike than I thought, they should have casted someone else for Yamcha and Piccolo. Also, his Kami and Grandpa Gohan voice is similar. His Recoome was horrible in both Z and Kai, even the Ocean Dub Recoome sounded way better .
Apparently they wanted Scott McNeil to voice Piccolo in Kai, but they couldn't afford it. In any case, his Piccolo has gotten better because it's not as gruff as it used to be & his Yamcha voice is pretty distinct from his other voices, so I don't see your point about recasting Yamcha. Plus, he's voiced Yamcha pretty consistently over the years. It'd be very weird to not hear that voice tone for him in the dub. Kami & Grandpa Gohan, I don't know. Recoome, I understand. The voice he gives him makes him sound retarded, but that might be the point with that. Personally, I don't mind it, but I do see the problems with it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs