Kai vs. Z Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai vs. Z Dub

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Vale's acting got better in Kai. Listen to his first few episodes as Trunks in Z and you'll see how stilted his delivery is. In Kai, his acting is better, but the rasp has been turned up.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

I feel like lack of distinction between how a voice sounds and actual ability to act and emote get confused often. Clinkenbeard's Gohan for example, you may not like the quality of her voice but she's a far better actress than Nadolny.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:I feel like lack of distinction between how a voice sounds and actual ability to act and emote get confused often. Clinkenbeard's Gohan for example, you may not like the quality of her voice but she's a far better actress than Nadolny.
Clinkenbeard is good as Kid Gohan, but she can be a bit grating.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Nadolny's performances are nothing but grating. Clinkenbeard wasn't perfect but she was a huge step up. Henderson is still the best English speaking Gohan and Goku yet.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 pm

I still don't get the general dislike for Clinkenbeard. I used to find absolutely wrong with Nadolny until Clinkenbeard replaced her and I realized how much I disliked Nadolny. I think her voice really fits Gohan well, and she's a very good voice actress.

Clinkenbeard's GT Goku voice she's done for the video games though? Yeeeahh let's not speak of that.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:02 am

I find Kai kid Gohan's voice extremely squeaky..

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:31 am

I don't think squeaky is the right word. It's feminine, though.

I don't know why people hate Clinkenbeard as Goku. On the continuum of Henderson to Nadolny, she's closer to Henderson than Nadolny.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 am

Hit!! wrote:I find Kai kid Gohan's voice extremely squeaky..
So do you like nadolny's Gohan?

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:57 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Actually yes..

It's probably the only original dub voice i prefer over Kai.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Hit!! wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Actually yes..

It's probably the only original dub voice i prefer over Kai.
Thats fine, I don't really like it but her goku is tolerable. Although her Gohan did get better in the later video games.

And to be fair to Clinkenbeard, gohan is like 5 during the Saiyan arc and at that point gohan is very whiny so that probably doesn't help either.
Last edited by DragonBallKing on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:05 pm

ABED wrote:I don't think squeaky is the right word. It's feminine, though.

I don't know why people hate Clinkenbeard as Goku. On the continuum of Henderson to Nadolny, she's closer to Henderson than Nadolny.
They think she doesn't fit Goku's personality as much as Nadolny. I don't mind her, but I prefer Henderson and Goodson.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Clinkenbeard just made Gohan Luffy. Whenever I hear Gohan talk in Kai, It reminds me of Luffy and I get so irritated lol.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:00 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Clinkenbeard just made Gohan Luffy. Whenever I hear Gohan talk in Kai, It reminds me of Luffy and I get so irritated lol.
Why does it irritate you that they sound alike?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 pm

It irritates me as well when there are two series that I follow and they have characters sounding the same in both of them. At least put some effort in distinguishing them. It's just a subjective feeling, there's no great scientific explanation behind it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It irritates me as well when there are two series that I follow and they have characters sounding the same in both of them. At least put some effort in distinguishing them. It's just a subjective feeling, there's no great scientific explanation behind it.
What about characters in the same series sounding the same? I'm not talking Nozawa because she does differentiate, but I really can't tell the difference between any characters that Gori voices.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:07 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Clinkenbeard just made Gohan Luffy. Whenever I hear Gohan talk in Kai, It reminds me of Luffy and I get so irritated lol.
So does it not irritate you that Nadolny sounds the same for Goku and Gohan?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:It irritates me as well when there are two series that I follow and they have characters sounding the same in both of them. At least put some effort in distinguishing them. It's just a subjective feeling, there's no great scientific explanation behind it.
What about characters in the same series sounding the same? I'm not talking Nozawa because she does differentiate, but I really can't tell the difference between any characters that Gori voices.
Of course. There are times where Vegeta, Piccolo, and Yamucha sound exactly the same. It's irritating and comes off looking cheap. What, you seriously couldn't pay someone else to do that role and even if you couldn't, you really couldn't give it to someone who could at least change their voice? Goku doesn't sound like Kaio. In the Ocean dub, Vegeta didn't sound like Yajirobe. But when characters sound really alike, it cheapens it up.

When it's from two different series, at least it doesn't feel cheap, it's just kind of like, "Aw." You want the voice to be immediately recognizable so you can snap your fingers and go, "Aha, it's that guy!" That's why it's disappointing.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:47 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Of course. There are times where Vegeta, Piccolo, and Yamucha sound exactly the same. It's irritating and comes off looking cheap. What, you seriously couldn't pay someone else to do that role and even if you couldn't, you really couldn't give it to someone who could at least change their voice? Goku doesn't sound like Kaio. In the Ocean dub, Vegeta didn't sound like Yajirobe. But when characters sound really alike, it cheapens it up.

When it's from two different series, at least it doesn't feel cheap, it's just kind of like, "Aw." You want the voice to be immediately recognizable so you can snap your fingers and go, "Aha, it's that guy!" That's why it's disappointing.
I agree that is is pretty cheap to have Sabat still voice so many characters that should have been recast like yamucha, recoome, and karin. At this point Funi has a really large actor pool that they use for big shows like One Piece and Fairy tail so I don't see why they wouldn't use it. But I really don't see how Vegeta sounds like Yajirobe or Kaio sounds like goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I was pointing to instances where the same voice actor played multiple roles but the voices don't sound alike. Sean Schemmel played Goku and Kaio, but they didn't sound alike. Nail sounded like Super Saiyan 4 Goku, though. And Brian Drummond played Vegeta and Yajirobe, but they didn't sound alike. That's an instance where if you have to use the same person for multiple roles, at least there's a difference in the voice.

And I understand that it's a penny saver because after all, I'm sure that the actors don't get paid more if they do more roles (fairly certain I heard this confirmed either in a DBZ related interview or for another series), but still. It comes off very cheap. As I said, if you're gonna do it, at least have the decency to direct the actor to change the voice more or if you have to, edit it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Of course. There are times where Vegeta, Piccolo, and Yamucha sound exactly the same.
That is pure hyperbole. You can't tell it's the same actor but they never actually sound the same ever.