Toei Animation rank in Top 150 Global Licensors of 2016

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Toei Animation rank in Top 150 Global Licensors of 2016

Post by Bigivel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
sintzu wrote:A show like Super with new animators will start out somewhat bad then gradually improve as it goes on cause the animators are getting better as time goes on.
The idea that Super started with new animators was based on a misleading comment from a damage control interview. Every last one of the key animators working on Super (that I'm aware of, which is most of them at this point) has years of experience, the thing they lacked was time, cause rushed pre-production.
Not really true. A lot of them were in fact highly praised Veterans, but there was also a lot of newbies. In fact due to the problems of Schedules they had to bring more people to animate(including key animation) and like Frederick P. Brooks Jr. said in his famous book "The Mythical Man-Month":

"when schedule slippage is recognized, the natural (and traditional) response is to add manpower. Like dousing a fire with gasoline, this makes matters worse, much worse. More fire requires more gasoline, and thus begins a regenerative cycle which ends in disaster"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Bigivel wrote:Not really true. A lot of them were in fact highly praised Veterans, but there was also a lot of newbies. In fact due to the problems of Schedules they had to bring more people to animate(including key animation)
Nope. Pick any episode and look through the credited animators' history, I challenge you to find me one that doesn't have a sizable resume. If there's any truth in the "newbie" remark, it's referring to the in-betweeners, which essentially makes the criticism worthless.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 pm

That's a terrible example for someone not into animation. I mean that's a crappy Merch Driven anime for all we know. Show us some superlative example of their work.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: