What's the most bizarre thing to ever happen in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

What's the most bizarre thing to ever happen in the franchise?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:37 pm

From any medium (anime, manga, videogames, merchandise, etc) from any time period in the franchise be it new or old material. Meta stuff is also included (e.g: any behind the scenes stuff).

I will start with:

Yancha getting his own manga.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: What's the most bizarre thing to ever happen in the franchise?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm

The series getting revived in 2015, then it turns out Toei didn't think it through and we had to sit through retellings for a little over 2 cours and somehow the show was successful. After the fail of GT and Kai I was fearing the worst when we found out we would start with retellings.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:03 pm

The release of both the Orange Bricks and FUNimation's DRAGONBOX sets, "Goku is from outer space now!", everything involving Kenji Yamamoto since the beginning of his contributions to the series... The creation of both Janemba and Hildegarn stemming from the notion that Broly was a peak, maximum power enemy and that anything following him just had to be... well, bizarre. The mystery funding/production of the Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Kai. Splintering off the last 99 episodes of DBZ into separate "Japanese TV" and "international" versions of Dragon Ball Kai. The vast amount of music on the Japanese side that's never been put on a CD.

This franchise is weird.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:16 pm

I'd say the fact that it experienced a revival in the first place is pretty bizarre. Before Battle of Gods was announced, none of us would've ever imagined that we would be seeing new adventures involving Goku and his friends, barring the Jump Special, which was a one-off thing anyway. Back in the pre-BoG days, if someone were to tell me that we would be getting Blue and Pink haired Super Saiyan transformations, I would've thought they were being silly.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Neon-green oozaru Brolli. Bardock getting multiple backstories. Dragon Ball SD.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 pm

The post-2011 revival. I don't know if you guys realize this, but there are currently five concurrent spin-off series running in Saikyou Jump, on top of all the other material we're getting, and this looks to be the trajectory of the series for the foreseeable future, especially now that it has its own story committee within Shueisha.

In the space of a few years nearly two decades after its original run, we went from a self-contained manga fairly singularly tied to its author, along with some movies and one anime-only sequel, into this hydra.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 pm

More specifically, Dragon Ball Super is incredibly bizarre in its own right. A rinky-dink thrown together tv show replacing a series of decently made movies as Dragon Ball's official modern continuation, which in themselves were strange phenomena.
Retired.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Goku's Fire Brigade.

A world where Goku's a responsible, level-headed firefighter, Muten Roshi doesn't eye up any women, and Bulma is a random girl who lives alone in an apartment with a pet cat named Tama.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

DBkai would be another bizarrity, an edited rebroadcast of an old show on modern TV, which if I am not wrong is very uncommon in Japan.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:DBkai would be another bizarrity, an edited rebroadcast of an old show on modern TV, which if I am not wrong is very uncommon in Japan.
I notice that a lot of reboots started happening around that time, though not of the same breed as Kai. FMA and HxH are the first that come to mind.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm

We live in a world where a new Dragonball series is airing in the year 2017. That's bizarre and shocking enough.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Kai and the mess it was. If I could erase that thing, I would. Also, what Cipher said about the franchise's revival. Nobody thought it was going to happen.

I remember people used to laugh when somebody speculated about a new TV series, but here we are. A new TV series that has been going on for 2 yrs as of now. Just bizarre.

And, yeah Female Broli.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Kai and the mess it was. If I could erase that thing, I would.
Strange, it was. I'm not near as negative towards it as I used to be, especially since it's dub has been so helpful as I've mostly lost my ability to read subtitles on anything but the stillest of screens at this point. My goal is to eventually learn Japanese and switch back to Z, though, so maybe I'll rejoin the hate camp in a few years.

I wonder if Kai was the first product of it's kind.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Kai and the mess it was. If I could erase that thing, I would. Also, what Cipher said about the franchise's revival. Nobody thought it was going to happen.
I want to stress that it's not only that it happened, but the way it happened, and the rapid pace with which what had been a fairly self-contained, era-specific and author-specific series, merchandise and adaptations aside, truly became a multi-media fiction franchise. After a fifteen-year hiatus, no less.

It's insane.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 am

I will always be grateful that Kai gave us a good, high-quality dub of the series. I just wish some people were more receptive towards it, or willing to give it a chance.

OT: I'd say most of the crap that comes out of Dragon Ball Heroes. That game has no restraint whatsoever.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 am

Probably the Big Green and Malaysian dubs.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 am

After 8 years of a successful story, trying to permanently kill off the main character and replace him with someone else was an incredibly ballsy thing to do. Same with having Goku suddenly grow up.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 am

Super. After disastrous GT, forgettable Kai TOEI Mfkers still had the balls to drag the franchise's name down

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 am

Vijay wrote:Super. After disastrous GT, forgettable Kai TOEI Mfkers still had the balls to drag the franchise's name down
If anything Super has had the opposite effect, ratings are good, sales are up, Dragon Ball has become a strong name again.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 am

I just LOVE how people are either misunderstanding what "Bizarre" means or just saw this thread as yet another complaint thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: