Nozawa's panel at Supernova Australia quick reflections

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Nozawa's panel at Supernova Australia quick reflections

Post by nato25 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 am

Firstly if you ever get a chance to see her at a panel or something in real life I highly recommend it if you are a fan it's a great experience and our panel got a lot of question time with her.

Some cool things I remember while it's still fresh in my memory from a little over an hour ago(some/all of this might be old news but whatever):

- Nozawa was one of the first voice actors ever in Japan. She originally wanted to be a typical beautiful actress and was doing theater work before she found herself doing voice work. She actually never aspired to be a voice actress.
- As she was the first she never really took inspiration from anyone and as a veteran in the industry still doesn't take much inspiration from others.
- Someone asked if she felt weird voicing Goku in scenes where he would be fishing naked or urinating. She said she completely becomes that character when acting so she knows what the character knows.
- Her bosses were happy to send her to Australia for promotion purpose. She had to record her lines a day earlier than the rest of the cast, typically it seems like everyone records on the same day. They have full visual to watch while they record so voice work comes last it would seem.
- These days the cast seldom act across from each other in the same scene.
- She had fun doing Black because he was evil.
- Goku is her favourite character to voice from all her roles on Dragon Ball.
- The strangest character she has ever voiced was literally a mud puddle.
- We got to hear a real life Kamehameha which was awesome.

There were probably some other cool responses which I'm forgetting but I think this covered everything. For the most part a lot of the questions from the audience were unfortunately very boring or just repeated almost the exact same stuff someone had already asked.

UltraPerfectCellZ

Re: Nozawa's panel at Supernova Australia quick reflections

Post by UltraPerfectCellZ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 am

Bah I'm so jealous, sounds like some pretty interesting stuff.
I really hope she comes to Australia again (C'mon Perth).
Proudly lurking the forums since '09

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 am

The panel was great. I got two questions in. One about how she differentiates Goku, Gohan and Goten (which basically amounted to "I don't really think about it, I just do.") and what character she'd like to be if she wasn't Goku. (Which she said she's so attached to Goku that she couldn't imagine being anyone else.)

Currently waiting for my flight back to Sydney. :P

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 am

Totally gutted I couldn't arrange an Autograph :(

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:59 am

Some other things I remember that haven't been mentioned already

- I don't think there were all repeat questions, but it ended up like that. In particular, someone asked how she's been handling the change in Goku's character in Super, but I think the translator assumed they were talking about a character design and not his characterisation in the last few episodes of Super. I'm curious as to whether Nozawa would even think if there was a change in his character there, because that's been argued here a lot.
- They've (presumably the DB anime cast, but I'm not sure) invited Akira Toriyama to parties, but he's too shy to come to most of them.
- She doesn't have any particular vocal tricks when doing screaming, but she does sort of mime out the Kamehameha to get in the mood when doing one. She then demonstrated that for us.
- Someone asked about GT. She said it was understandable that people expecting something like DBZ would have found the tone rather different (presumably during the Grand Tour), but still enjoyed working on it.
- Her favourite fight is Freeza, although I think she mentioned she also liked Cell.
- Speaking of Cell, that was her least favourite character. She says she doesn't dislike him, but sometimes found him annoying.
- Her favourite phrase to say... "Osu! Ora Goku!"
- And she left the panel off by saying "Keep loving Goku".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Man, I'm so jealous of you. You're super lucky to have heard a legend speak. If I'm ever rich and she comes to the States, I'll fly down there and see here because there's really no chance of her coming to Canada, much less Edmonton.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:42 pm

That was awesome. Thanks OP.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks everyone who added stuff I missed. Didn't realse there were do many Australians on here but it makes sense.

One other thing i remember was she dubbed over mccauly caulcin (sp?) In home alone. Didnt know that.

Also shoutout to saiyamanMS who I met down there. Give him props for translating the yamcha spin off manga for us! It was cool hearing you and a few others ask questions in Japanese and then having the translator translate those back. I found the translator very competent it was good to see.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 pm

nato25 wrote:Thanks everyone who added stuff I missed. Didn't realse there were do many Australians on here but it makes sense.

One other thing i remember was she dubbed over mccauly caulcin (sp?) In home alone. Didnt know that.

Also shoutout to saiyamanMS who I met down there. Give him props for translating the yamcha spin off manga for us! It was cool hearing you and a few others ask questions in Japanese and then having the translator translate those back. I found the translator very competent it was good to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upGaC4ReIvM

Doesn't quite sound like her... but she might have done it when it was first out and they redubbed it later..

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
nato25 wrote:Thanks everyone who added stuff I missed. Didn't realse there were do many Australians on here but it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upGaC4ReIvM

Doesn't quite sound like her... but she might have done it when it was first out and they redubbed it later..
Multiple dubs are commonplace in Japan, usually depending on the television channel.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm

According to wikipedia she did dub richie rich so maybe she was referring to that and how the question was asked got a bit lost in translation.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm

nato25 wrote:They have full visual to watch while they record so voice work comes last it would seem.
I remember reading this once. They do all the visuals before the actors do the voice work; in other words, the actors match the video rather than the video matching the actors.

Anyway, this sounds like it was a really cool event! Meeting any of the DB voice actors (or even other staff) in general would be amazing.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Anyway, this sounds like it was a really cool event! Meeting any of the DB voice actors (or even other staff) in general would be amazing.
It was totally awesome. I've met several of the English cast before, as well as Japanese actors from others shows, but meeting someone the original Japanese Dragon Ball, let alone Son Goku was amazing. (... I guess technically, I've met Zamasu's actor, Shinichiro Miki too. But it was years before Super started, so he wasn't a Dragon Ball cast member at the time.)