Think of Dragon Ball as a fighting game and power levels become tolerable.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Think of Dragon Ball as a fighting game and power levels become tolerable.

Post by Desassina » Wed May 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Does it matter if the player in front of you has a bigger transformation? So as long as your health bar is not depleted, you still have a fighting chance, and losing it is far more concerned with skill than power.

In Hyper Dimension, Ki was the health bar, and its inevitable depletion was the goal, which you could extend by powering up, no matter how many hits you had taken. That was Goku's attempt against Pure Boo when going full power: to rejuvenate himself in spite of every blow. That's what happened when he fought Freeza too.

In Dimps' games, capsule customization helps you focus on a selective skill set, while someone with every capsule won't lose on paper, until he doesn't know what to do with all of them, and that's what happened with Gohan and all of his power. I think that it helps when every fight is taken for what it is and no definitive strongest is sought after.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Think of Dragon Ball as a fighting game and power levels become tolerable.

Post by dbgtFO » Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm

I've been saying that in regards to Toei productions since 5 years ago(?), I can't recall, but yeah, that's how I see it too^_^
Maybe Toriyama eventually realized it's all nonsense anyways and so he too follows the same type of logic?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Perhaps Toei is outsourcing ideas to fighting game companies ha ha. Super Dragon Ball Z has every character starting with a custom power level that doesn't dictate the victor. I think that it's more entertaining for the person to describe the battles and to all those who read them.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Specific, definitive power levels were quite restrictive story line-wise and may have even taken away from the story had they continued to be used.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 am

Those only helped define their starting health in this fighting game scenario. In Vegeta's battle, it begun to decrease, and he became manageable. No character stood at a perfect power level.