So what do you like about the funi dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

So what do you like about the funi dubs?

Post by Kokonoe » Fri May 26, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm aware this site is more focused on the original Japanese, but at the same time, this is still a part of franchise and being as I'm a fan of this particular part of it, surely there are others here who may find entertainment with it, or can at least find something they might want to share based on their preferences (This includes the Kai dub).

I suppose for me, I just really enjoy the voice actors chosen. I'll watch the Japanese version and get by, but I never feel like I'm truly as immersed with the anime unless Sabat or Schemmel are around. For all intents and purposes, Schemmel is Goku for me, Sabat is Piccolo, and they just do an exceptional job giving the characters a unique voice. When Schemmel gives off his speeches as Goku I really get that sense of goodness and innocence of the character.

Funnily enough, I actually tend to enjoy some of the editing of the palette. Yeah, it's definitely not perfect and I do not like smoothness being added, but sometimes the Dragon Box can be a bit too dark for me and the colors (due to age) changing, like the skies becoming greenish looks really off to me. Dragon Box is still the best quality you can get, but yeah.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: So what do you like about the funi dubs?

Post by ABED » Fri May 26, 2017 6:38 pm

I like much of the cast, especially in Kai once they got experience under their belt. This isn't a popular opinion, but I prefer Burgmeier to Tenshinhan's original Japanese voice actor.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm

While I prefer the Japanese voice cast, the FUNi cast (aside from a few exceptions) is quite solid, from Kai to now on. My favorite actors from the FUNi cast are probably Schemmel's Goku, Rager's Mr. Satan, Clarke's Cell, Robertson's Dabura (I could listen to this voice all day) and Brannan's Babidi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Robertson's Dabura (I could listen to this voice all day)
His voice is amazing. I could listen to him, Doc Morgan, and Brice Armstrong all day.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Oh, and Ayres' Frieza is also a favorite of mine. Probably my favorite of the FUNi cast.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 26, 2017 7:20 pm

As for the original Funimation dub/redubs, while I'm not nearly as big a fan as I am of the original, I'd be lying if I told you I never switched over to it, whether it be because there's some fantastic, absurd line that bears listening to, or whether it be tradition, such as switching over to the dub on Episode 68. Of course, there are times that I genuinely enjoy the English version's take... I can't think of one for the life of me, but I know there are.

However, even then, I vastly prefer the Ocean dub of Z. Voices, music and all, both before and after the split with Funimation. Though the scripts and censorships are the same, there's a certain professionalism to everything that Funimation naturally lacked. It's not that surprising, since the entirety of the Texas production staff were greener than TFC, but I feel it's worth mentioning in the conversation.
Kokonoe wrote:Funnily enough, I actually tend to enjoy some of the editing of the palette. Yeah, it's definitely not perfect and I do not like smoothness being added, but sometimes the Dragon Box can be a bit too dark for me and the colors (due to age) changing, like the skies becoming greenish looks really off to me. Dragon Box is still the best quality you can get, but yeah.
Though I'm not a fan of Funimation's changes, their masters by themselves are definitely more suited to my tastes. That's a huge reason I brag on the Level Sets after all this time. It looks so... solid? Vivid? Old, but fresh, it's something no other release has managed and I believe it's thanks to the darker, more solid colors on their film. If only they'd released an unbutchered version of the entire product while the window was open.
Retired.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:33 pm

ABED wrote:
Robertson's Dabura (I could listen to this voice all day)
His voice is amazing. I could listen to him, Doc Morgan, and Brice Armstrong all day.
I want to add Brannan's Babidi. They were highlights of the Z dub for me.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat May 27, 2017 10:29 pm

ABED wrote:I like much of the cast, especially in Kai once they got experience under their belt. This isn't a popular opinion, but I prefer Burgmeier to Tenshinhan's original Japanese voice actor.
Yeah, I like Tien's voice a lot too.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Funnily enough, I actually tend to enjoy some of the editing of the palette. Yeah, it's definitely not perfect and I do not like smoothness being added, but sometimes the Dragon Box can be a bit too dark for me and the colors (due to age) changing, like the skies becoming greenish looks really off to me. Dragon Box is still the best quality you can get, but yeah.
Though I'm not a fan of Funimation's changes, their masters by themselves are definitely more suited to my tastes. That's a huge reason I brag on the Level Sets after all this time. It looks so... solid? Vivid? Old, but fresh, it's something no other release has managed and I believe it's thanks to the darker, more solid colors on their film. If only they'd released an unbutchered version of the entire product while the window was open.
I definitely think the Level Sets are the best picture we've ever gotten from this series and I am deeply saddened it didn't continue and probably never will. It's the best of both worlds to me. Another thing that's awesome about it is due to the HD, it's so crystal clear.

ThatFanaticJackatoo

Post by ThatFanaticJackatoo » Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Whenever I hear Goku's English voice, I think of Cheetor from Beast Wars. Whenever I hear Cheetor, I hear Goku. Its a wonderful thing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Kokonoe wrote:I just really enjoy the voice actors chosen. I'll watch the Japanese version and get by, but I never feel like I'm truly as immersed with the anime unless Sabat or Schemmel are around.
This is how I feel as well and I watched both Z and DB in Japanese first but the English cast will always be who I hear when reading the manga or thinking about the characters. I never cared that much about the BOG arc in Super while watching it in Japamese but the dub really changed my mind about it. The characters just seem more alive and the actors seem more alive than the original cast.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 29, 2017 9:52 pm

I hear the English cast when I read the manga, but that's only because I'm an English speaker and I can't hear Nozawa's voice as Goku speaking English even though she's Goku for me. I like Schemmel a lot, but Nozawa is the quintessential Son Goku.

I think Laurie Steele is terrific as Kuririn, even in Movie 2, I loved that voice.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 am

ABED wrote:I think Laurie Steele is terrific as Kuririn, even in Movie 2, I loved that voice.
I disagree. I think she's raspy, grating and struggles with basic emotions, and even later in the series when Krillin stops being an asshole, she always has this sarcastic tone. All of her line deliveries sound the same, and she overall feels very flat. When Krillin thinks Roshi killed Goku and yells "you're a murderer", I don't get the feeling of someone who actually thinks they've just seen their best friend get murdered, and it feels like she's hindered by the character voice she does for Krillin.

That latter point also goes for Nadolny's Goku when Krillin actually dies.

As to the topic, my feelings towards the cast are mostly nostalgia based, but I really appreciate the enthusiasm and excitement that you can sense from their performances in Kai. Kai itself is very well acted, and it's nice to have a good dub with a nostalgic voice cast, so it's basically a 2-in-1 deal. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue May 30, 2017 5:52 am

There's not an ounce of rasp. And why does everyone on here seem to hate rasp no matter what as if it's a sign of bad acting?

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 am

I like that the old Ginyu Assault VHS tapes haven't gained sentience and started murdering people.

Perhaps I might be holding Funimation to very low standards, but I do appreciate how their treatment of the voices and overall product has improved substantially over the years. I do consider the 1999 era dub to be pretty unwatchable, but I can say I enjoy the dub nowadays, though it's hardly perfect. We've went from a 1 or a 2 to a 7 or an 8. I don't think it should have taken this long to get to this point though.
Last edited by TheBigBoy on Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 am

I love the cast, both from the Canadian and American sides.

The Ocean Group actors all gave solid performances that at times allowed me to forgive the writing and directing, and in addition to giving us the perfect Piccolo in McNeil their very best work (which is on the same level of quality as modern DB dubs) with the Pioneer trilogy.

The in-house cast despite not being nearly as talented as the Japanese when they started off Schemmel, Sabat, Herbert etc have really honed their crafts and delivered stellar dubs of Kai, BOG, ROF and what we have of Super so far. Not to mention the new additions over time, Ayres, Douglas and Sinclair have all surpassed my expectations for the roles they play.

I also really respect the accuracy of the new dubs and the fact the original scores are being kept because both matter greatly when it comes to presenting the same content but in a different language.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 pm

I have total respect for everything FUNi has done since Kai started. Plus, at this point all of the actors, through sheer volume of content and longevity, have really come into their own as their respective characters. Though Masako Nozawa will forever be Goku to me, I think Sean Schemmel deserves a lot of credit for his evolution of Goku--and I'd say at this point he's doing as admirable a job as you could hope, especially considering he was brought in to mimic the super hero Goku that the earlier dub had going. I still have mad hate for the Z dub, though I thought the dub of Dragon Ball was pretty solid, all things considered.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Tried re-watching the original Dragon Ball Z in Dubbed form after becoming so accustomed to the Japanese Subtitled version, and I absolutely could not.

Once I tried re-watching Kai I realized how much Chris and the others have improved. Their talent is tremendous at this point and they've certainly a lot of practice under their belts now.

Kai's dub is the only tolerable one for me at this point, I haven't tried out Super's dub yet
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 am

I like that I can understand the dialog and that I have a sentimental attachment to the original dub. I'm not joking and I'm not trying to make a joke about how it being in English is the only good thing about the dub; I legitimately like to watch the dub because I can understand it without reading. I can just put DB on in the background and listen to it. That's why I hope that the script for Super's dub is accurate. That's all I really want.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I like that I can understand the dialog and that I have a sentimental attachment to the original dub. I'm not joking and I'm not trying to make a joke about how it being in English is the only good thing about the dub; I legitimately like to watch the dub because I can understand it without reading. I can just put DB on in the background and listen to it. That's why I hope that the script for Super's dub is accurate. That's all I really want.
Honestly I can get this feeling. As crappy as Zeta Gundam's dub was, it was at least accurate & I personally had a better experience with it over the JP VO (kill me now).

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I like that I can understand the dialog and that I have a sentimental attachment to the original dub. I'm not joking and I'm not trying to make a joke about how it being in English is the only good thing about the dub; I legitimately like to watch the dub because I can understand it without reading. I can just put DB on in the background and listen to it. That's why I hope that the script for Super's dub is accurate. That's all I really want.
Honestly I can get this feeling. As crappy as Zeta Gundam's dub was, it was at least accurate & I personally had a better experience with it over the JP VO (kill me now).
Zeta Gundam's dub was hugely inaccurate!
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.