DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBGT Bebi Saga Review

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:03 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
successoroffate wrote:
ABED wrote: How did he ripoff Cell and Buu?
Well, At least Bebi came in and went straight with a plan. I want to be powerful and I want Goku dead and he did ( well, sorta). While first form Cell sucked the life out of humans and Buu literally killed everyone on Earth, they didn't have a plan that worked.
Try saying that to Piccolo, Vegeta, and the androids about Cell's plan not working.

Cell is also the only villain to noy best Goku in combat once and for all but successfully kill him.
Raditz says hi.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 pm

I loved the Baby arc, I actually loved all of GT! Of course it had its flaws but at least Toei tried right? Of course it was for money but it was because the fan base demanded a continuation. I have a lot of faith in the current establishment if Toriyama ever steps down. I often wonder if GT will ever get its sequel? (Especially since you have Toyble on board) They have Heroes and everything else, I wouldn't doubt a super heroes or "AF" anime/manga.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Xeztin wrote:Of course it was for money but it was because the fan base demanded a continuation.
Not the case, actually. Dragon Ball's popularity was already in a general decline before GT aired.

Also, I don't like the "for the money" characterization, as if it meant anything. Literally everything people, and human-lead organizations by extension do is for entertainment, money, or sex, ultimately for the cause of self-preservation. I don't think corporate entities are capable of being entertained or having sex, so of course it's for money. Every story that sees the light of day was made for money, whether it's any good or not.
Retired.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Of course it was for money but it was because the fan base demanded a continuation.
Not the case, actually. Dragon Ball's popularity was already in a general decline before GT aired.
The Japanese animation industry in general was dying at that point. GT in particular was just so unpopular with Japanese fans that it pretty much killed the franchise and if it wasn't for the insane popularity Dragon Ball would later gain in the west (culminating with the release of Budokai in 2002), it likely would've stayed dead.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Raditz says hi.
DId Raditz's plans actually ever worked?

Also, Raditz killed nobody.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:15 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote: Or you could argue that Goku is proven to be stronger because he couldn't get Goku if he tried.

It also makes ZERO sense that Vegeta somehow got stronger than Goku.
If that was the case then he wouldn't have been able to "kill" him as easily as he did. Goku was outmatched on every level.

Goku couldn't hold Ssj3 so he obviously got weaker thanks to being turned into a kid.
I thought you were talking about Vegeta being stronger, not Baby. By that point, Baby had absorbed so much power, of course he was stronger.

Goku wasn't stronger than Vegeta solely because of SS3.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 am

The Baby arc is by far the best arc in GT. As a kid I preferred the Evil Dragons arc, but after watching GT start to finish for the first time, I greatly prefer the Baby arc. It has a better story, better villain, and better emotional moments. The Evil Dragons arc was very poorly executed. Who thought it would be a great idea to not have any of the cast except Goku and Pan fight the dragons?
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:45 am

I think that the Baby Saga is a mixed bag for me. I think my biggest disappointment with the saga is Baby himself as a villain. He could have been much better handled, although he has a great design. There's also good stuff in there such as the SSJ4 transformation with the Japanese score, the animation and Piccolo's death. That was very heartbreaking, much like his death during the Saiyan Saga.

I found the Shadow Dragons Saga much better, but that's not saying much.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 am

ABED wrote:Goku wasn't stronger than Vegeta solely because of SS3.
I'm saying if Goku was stronger than Vegeta's body then Baby would've at least tried to take him over. If he was able to beat him so easily then surely he could've taken him if he wanted to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:55 am

I always assumed Bebi took over Vegeta specifically because he'd be using the Saiyan Prince's power to help restore the Tsufurians back to life as a sort of fuck you to King Vegeta and the others.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:45 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:Goku wasn't stronger than Vegeta solely because of SS3.
I'm saying if Goku was stronger than Vegeta's body then Baby would've at least tried to take him over. If he was able to beat him so easily then surely he could've taken him if he wanted to.
I get that, but I think you're assuming too much. Baby tried to take Trunks over, does that mean he was stronger than Goku? He probably would've tried had he been successful at getting Trunks the first time, but he fled when he was unsuccessful. By the time he encountered Goku again, he had already Tsufuruized the entire Earth.

Anyway, it's a fair criticism that Baby had the makings of a big bad with some empathy and ends up twirling his moustache.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm adding two more, I'm trying to recall more:

- There were a lot of "Bebi, acting like a baby or a giant baby" puns.
- The people possessed by Bebi acted like they knew they were possessed: Gohan and Videl told Pan to let Bebi put an egg on her.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:47 am

Hot take: Baby Saga is better than anything post-Imperfect Cell

I love this saga, Baby is a Top 5 villain in the franchise. Love the new character designs. SS4 and Golden Ape are such iconic new additions to the franchise. The music and colours are unique, it's a good looking show. Best arc in GT, Omega Dragons were underwhelming until the final fight with Gogeta. Even though Dr Mu is a palette swap of Gero it works, he is extremely creepy. Love watching the evolution of Baby, his transformations are great.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 pm

The Baby sags is the best of GT, Baby and Rildo were great villians and had great fights with Goku. I like how Uub was used too, sure it was small but him intentionally getting eaten to distract Baby so Goku can get a power boost was great. Gohan, Goten and Vegeta had great episodes even though they ended up getting controled, they were pretty fun fights.

The shadow dragon saga is second but I feel like the characters were under used and some of the villians were underwhelming.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:03 am

Really enjoyed the Bebi arc. Great villain, SS4, realistic motive, basically all of earth is taken over, etc

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 am

I like to pretend this doesn't exist, just like the rest of GT.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 am

uncutpokemon wrote:I like to pretend this doesn't exist, just like the rest of GT.
This was literally GT's only decent arc.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

precita wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:I like to pretend this doesn't exist, just like the rest of GT.
This was literally GT's only decent arc.
I'd argue that the first part of GT was far better than what the Baby Arc ultimately became, but I don't think that under critical evaluation, anyone could actually call it bad.
Retired.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 pm

It was a mixed bag.

I couldn't help but feel it relied heavily on nostalgia and was just looking for an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight. Bebi could have totally existed as it's own parasitic bio engineered entity with no ties to the Saiyans. Sort of like a Borg for DB.

It was also hard to believe that Bebi was stronger than Boo and that SSJ4 was necessary.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:00 pm

successoroffate wrote: - The people possessed by Bebi acted like they knew they were possessed: Gohan and Videl told Pan to let Bebi put an egg on her.
That's because Baby either directly speaks through you or simply corrupts you. And everytime we saw them acting like this it really was them, corrupted and evil douchebag slaves of Baby without him speaking.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 pm

lancerman wrote:It was a mixed bag.

I couldn't help but feel it relied heavily on nostalgia and was just looking for an excuse to put on another Goku vs Vegeta fight. Bebi could have totally existed as it's own parasitic bio engineered entity with no ties to the Saiyans. Sort of like a Borg for DB.

It was also hard to believe that Bebi was stronger than Boo and that SSJ4 was necessary.
I don't think Goku vs. Vegeta was a factor at all. The final design of Baby looked nothing like Vegeta, and it's not that hard for me to believe he's stronger than Buu. He's been gathering energy from across the universe for decades and he took the energy from everyone on Earth, including the possessed DB gang.