Should TFS be blamed for the treatment of Yamcha?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Should TFS be blamed for the treatment of Yamcha?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 pm

I get that Toriyama has it out for Yamcha for some weird reason. But the hate for Yamcha never really got serious until TFS got into the picture. (there's a post on Gamefaqs that gives a list of what has happened to Yamcha since his death) I keep getting mixed messages between people realizing that TFS did fuel the fire and people who believe Toriyama started it by himself.

I need someone to clear this out for me.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should TFS be blamed for the treatment of Yamcha?

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:54 pm

TFS is a parody-comedy and it makes fun of every character.

If there's anyone to blame it's the fans who exaggerate way too much and take that exaggeration as if it's the truth.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 pm

rereboy wrote:TFS is a parody-comedy and it makes fun of every character.

If there's anyone to blame it's the fans who exaggerate way too much and take that exaggeration as if it's the truth.
Yeah but Yamcha gets it the worse. There aren't many Yamcha related things on the internet without a TFS quote about how bad he is.

I do agree with the fan thing.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Yeah but Yamcha gets it the worse. There aren't many Yamcha related things on the internet without a TFS quote about how bad he is.

I do agree with the fan thing.
It's easy to make fun of Yamcha because he never accomplished anything in the source material. He never even won (by himself) a fight against a relevant character in the whole manga, for example.

However, TSF doesn't make more jokes about Yamcha than other characters. For exemple, Krillin is FAR more made fun of in TSF than Yamcha just due to the fact that he appears more in the series. I mean, he even has a dedicated owned counter...

If Yamcha has it worse in terms of jokes online, that's just because fans make use of the fact that he is pretty easy to make fun of and exaggerate even harder than usual.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Yamcha as a somewhat self-aware and playful butt-of-the-joke has been a "thing" that more than predates TeamFourStar. This is
precisely (part of) what makes him such a lovable and endearing character. See: the entire first arc of the series.

Same with Kuririn. See: DBZ movies, specifically 1, 2, 6, 7, and a little 8.

People were fans of this series before TeamFourStar existed.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Seconding. I always thought the Yamcha memes originated and were more popular in Japan in the way that Brolli was considered a joke in Japan long before fans thought similarly internationally.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 pm

rereboy wrote:If there's anyone to blame it's the fans who exaggerate way too much and take that exaggeration as if it's the truth.
Yeah, DBZA fans tend to be like Broly fans. It's annoying to me that everywhere I go someone always brings it up and declares it as the "best" version of the series and how the original DBZ sucks and that Abridged makes it a "good" show, and every top YouTube comment in any DBZ video is an abridged quote.
Chuquita wrote:Seconding. I always thought the Yamcha memes originated and were more popular in Japan in the way that Brolli was considered a joke in Japan long before fans thought similarly internationally.
Yeah, there surely aren't enough people in Japan who watch Abridged (if it even has a Japanese translation), and Yamcha's death is a meme in the same vein as Broly.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Probably not, since Yamcha was always treated as a joke.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
rereboy wrote: every top YouTube comment in any DBZ video is an abridged quote.
Veering off topic, but this drives me crazy for some reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Here's a better question: Why does it seem like a lot of people seem to REALLY want TFS to have this seismic impact on Dragon Ball or be the arbiters behind things that go on and directly affect its output (now that it actually even HAS any new output of note to affect once more). That seems to be the implication behind a lot of these kinds of threads: "Do you think TFS is the real reason that X is now a thing with DB?" "I think that TFS really started this thing that's now visible in DB" etc.

Like... what the fuck? Why does it even matter? And why is this something that people seem to desperately want to be the case? Why even care so much about TFS? Is this some kind of fan wish fulfillment thing? Like "if TFS, a fan project, can directly impact what goes on in making DB, then maybe I can someday too"? Is that what this is? I honestly don't know, but I'm genuinely curious as to the motivations behind people constantly asking these sorts of questions and having this intense investment into whether or not TFS has any sort of sway or impact on what goes on with DB's behind the scenes.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Here's a better question: Why does it seem like a lot of people seem to REALLY want TFS to have this seismic impact on Dragon Ball or be the arbiters behind things that go on and directly affect its output (now that it actually even HAS any new output of note to affect once more). That seems to be the implication behind a lot of these kinds of threads: "Do you think TFS is the real reason that X is now a thing with DB?" "I think that TFS really started this thing that's now visible in DB" etc.

Like... what the fuck? Why does it even matter? And why is this something that people seem to desperately want to be the case? Why even care so much about TFS? Is this some kind of fan wish fulfillment thing? Like "if TFS, a fan project, can directly impact what goes on in making DB, then maybe I can someday too"? Is that what this is? I honestly don't know, but I'm genuinely curious as to the motivations behind people constantly asking these sorts of questions and having this intense investment into whether or not TFS has any sort of sway or impact on what goes on with DB's behind the scenes.
That's not even to mention that the Abridged cast had a cameo that was cut from their Buu Kai dub, which probably fanned that flame of "validation".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:26 pm

If you asked this last year, I'd say "no way they know or care enough about some random shit pertaining to online western fandom".

But now we live in a world where things like Gohan and Broly's popularity in the West is officially acknowledged, and obviously being pandered to. So now I do slightly have to wonder.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Yamcha's joke status started...pretty much after the first loss to Jackie Chun and became even sillier after the Shen debacle that left Bulma and the others openly joking about him never making it past the first round. And Japan was doing the dead Yamcha pose meme long before TFS came into the picture, and surely there's not many people over there who have even heard of Abridged.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:That's not even to mention that the Abridged cast had a cameo that was cut from their Buu Kai dub, which probably fanned that flame of "validation".
That actually ties in with another sect of fandom that gives me a brain aneurysm: people who directly equate production of the Japanese series in importance with production of the FUNimation dub as directly comparable. Despite the fact that only ONE of those two things is the thing that's actually MAKING the show and creating the story and characters from wholecloth (be it on Toriyama's or Toei's end) and the other one is pretty much doing fuck-all besides getting some VAs to play Whose Line is it Anyway? with the already long-since previously finished result.
Zephyr wrote:If you asked this last year, I'd say "no way they know or care enough about some random shit pertaining to online western fandom".

But now we live in a world where things like Gohan and Broly's popularity in the West is officially acknowledged, and obviously being pandered to. So now I do slightly have to wonder.
I'm not sure which point specifically about Gohan you're referring to, but with regards to Brolli: he's ALWAYS been popular in Japan. He's the only movie villain to get multiple sequels. He gets used for video games fairly regularly. He was a staple of fandom overall from the moment movie 8 had first come out well LONG before anything to do with the FUNimation dub had ever existed.

Brolli's popularity ain't solely a Western thing. Sorry to break it to all of you, I know there are vitriolic haters of the character who desperately want it to be just the U.S. who like him this much. But he's been an ever-present ubiquitous entity in DB fandom since 1993. So it ain't just Americans, and it sure as hell didn't somehow START with U.S. dub fans.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 pm

TFS did 9/11 after landing in Roswell!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:If you asked this last year, I'd say "no way they know or care enough about some random shit pertaining to online western fandom".

I'm not sure which point specifically about Gohan you're referring to, but with regards to Brolli: he's ALWAYS been popular in Japan. He's the only movie villain to get multiple sequels. He gets used for video games fairly regularly. He was a staple of fandom overall from the moment movie 8 had first come out well LONG before anything to do with the FUNimation dub had ever existed.

Brolli's popularity ain't solely a Western thing. Sorry to break it to all of you, I know there are vitriolic haters of the character who desperately want it to be just the U.S. who like him this much. But he's been an ever-present ubiquitous entity in DB fandom since 1993. So it ain't just Americans, and it sure as hell didn't somehow START with U.S. dub fans.
No, I'm fully aware that Broly's insanely popular in Japan. That's.....kind of difficult to not notice.

There was recently some explicit mention of his popularity over here, though. I can't remember where, when, or it what specific wording, but they were definitely implying some Western-fandom pandering. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering something, who knows. :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:53 pm

I think it is more of a factor rather than the sole reason, so I wouldn't place the blame on TFS.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Partly, yes. Because their fanboys are a bunch of sheep and just spit out the memes / jokes from abridged as canon (like Piccolo is Gohan's real dad)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
rereboy wrote: every top YouTube comment in any DBZ video is an abridged quote.
Veering off topic, but this drives me crazy for some reason.
It drives me crazy too. I know it shouldnt but so many people just quoting the abridged on non-abridged videos is just annoying. One of the many reasons I stopped going into the comment section.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 pm

The internet basically ruined the Dragonball fandom forever, news at 11.