What if Family Guy did a Dragon Ball-based skit?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What if Family Guy did a Dragon Ball-based skit?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know I've said Dragon Ball Z Abridged is not a parody, but do you think TFS mock and hate Dragon Ball?
They definitely mock parts of it, yes. Playfully of course.
And what makes you think it isn't a parody?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:48 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know I've said Dragon Ball Z Abridged is not a parody, but do you think TFS mock and hate Dragon Ball?
We all know they're obliviously lying with that "This is a fan-based, non-profit parody'' crap! THEY NEED TO BE SUED!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 am

Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
We all know they're obliviously lying with that "This is a fan-based, non-profit parody'' crap! THEY NEED TO BE SUED!
They should hire Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law :lol: :lol:

(I'm probably the only one who remembers that show)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
They should hire Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law :lol: :lol:

(I'm probably the only one who remembers that show)
I would suggest Phoenix Wright, otherwise you better call Sal.

I remember the show, not much of whether it was good or not.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Yes, they do mock Dragon Ball but in a good-natured way and don't hate it.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I'd love a tasteful, thoughtful, clever parody of Dragon Ball by fans, be they Western or otherwise.

Oh wait...we've had one for a decade.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Judging by the segments, I don't think that those associated with Family Guy like anime. They're pretty much mocking it. I think if they mocked DBZ, surely someone would be upset by it... Not me because I think it would be pretty funny. Robot Chicken mocked Dragon Ball and it was hilarious.
Robot Chicken mocked anime because they were so frustrated that 100% pure 'Murican-made cartoons weren't dominating the airwaves. Western networks & corporations are so oblivious to their tremendous privilege in both finance & influence that they got flustered that shows they acquired from another country - to the point where they even tried to produce their own anime (see: Avatar TLA & Voltron sequel) to make a (huge) quick buck a lot of the qualities the Japanese had carved out in their entertainment, while totally alienating the people who established the medium through their own isolated struggle.

* Hollywood historically has portrayed the Japanese as racist caricatures, often incompetent or as lacking in physical capacity. Rarely if ever did they get lead parts, & this is all only if they were lucky to even make it into Hollywood - & shouldn't even have had to, their art should've stood on its own but Hollywood has only ever promoted American-based stories. Anime was a way for the Japanese to subvert these traditional prejudices & craft a way for their artists to express themselves - & their work could only be secretly imported for many years due to these prejudices - we had to rename all the characters, & replace much of the music. [

In the 80s & 90s, their work was continued to be misportrayed & misrepresented, as racist, sexist, & violent by often ignorant & xenophobic Western journalists. Anime was either "kids' stuff" or "far too racist, sexist, & violent", while American cartoons are seen as "wholesome" & "enjoyable". To lay it on real thick: whenever Japanese media gets popular, we have imitation American works of it - & the kicker is these works are often praised as works of art. For doing the same things that anime has been doing for years, & getting mocked for.

Robot Chicken's parody shows just what little sense of irony the producers at AS had. Yay for blatant, ignorant racism.
You shouldn't take Robot Chicken that seriously, man. It's just a joke.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
A parody takes the property and transforms it into something else to comment on that work. With Abridged, there is no transformativeness, it's basically the same thing -- the same video, the same audio, the same overall tone and message. If DBZ was a very serious romance anime and they turned it into a joke, then it would be a parody. Merely making edits and redubbing it does not make it a parody, really. It has to have an entirely different tone and message than the original... but it doesn't.

For example, Robot Chicken made a parody of Dragon Ball because that wasn't at all what Dragon Ball is about and it basically "commented" on Dragon Ball by mocking it (basically commenting how silly it is).

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Here's an idea, I'd like to see Family Guy do several episodes that cover the story in a similar way to how they did Star Wars. If they can get some writers that enjoy DBZ in a way similar to their enjoyment of Star Wars, it could actually work. As for who plays what roles

Peter ---> Goku
Chris ---> Gohan
Stewie ---> Vegeta
Brian ---> Krillin
Cleveland ---> Piccolo
Joe ---> Tien
Quagmire or Herbert ---> Master Roshi
Carter ---> Frieza
Lois ---> Chi Chi
Meg ---> genderbent Yamcha

Or something like that, feel free to add to those, or change some.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:17 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
A parody takes the property and transforms it into something else to comment on that work. With Abridged, there is no transformativeness, it's basically the same thing -- the same video, the same audio, the same overall tone and message. If DBZ was a very serious romance anime and they turned it into a joke, then it would be a parody. Merely making edits and redubbing it does not make it a parody, really. It has to have an entirely different tone and message than the original... but it doesn't.

For example, Robot Chicken made a parody of Dragon Ball because that wasn't at all what Dragon Ball is about and it basically "commented" on Dragon Ball by mocking it (basically commenting how silly it is).
It's definitely transformative. They change / warp the characters personalities sometimes drastically. The tone is considerably different and many events happen for a different reason.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

It's definitely transformative. They change / warp the characters personalities sometimes drastically. The tone is considerably different and many events happen for a different reason.
Eh, not really though. They changed Nappa, "Guru," Dende, and Popo, but the rest of the characters are just slight exaggerations of what they are in the actual series. I don't think that it's transformative enough to be called a parody because I think that the tone and feel of it is the same -- especially at this point. In the beginning when it started, yes, it was a lot different and I could see it passing for a parody. But now, it's just basically retelling what happened in Dragon Ball Z. The message feels the same and the story does as well. Thus, I wouldn't call it a parody now.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:You shouldn't take Robot Chicken that seriously, man. It's just a joke.
Humor often reflects how we feel about certain things in real life. If we joke about certain things, it generally assumes we understand & are trying to make light of it. When we don't actually get it, it seems pretty crass & distasteful, especially when we've been unkind or hurtful to the group being discussed. RC's humor (in this case, at least) was pretty stereotypical & reinforced some weird ideas people tend to have about anime.

For context, I think someone pointed this out AS's attitudes towards anime at the time, on a thread awhile back (one of the celebrity ones, I think?), & discussed why the Robot Chicken skit was the way it was.

Also I get that it's "just" cartoons...okay...but I think highlighting the root of the problems in entertainment gives way to understanding the issues in a broader & more serious context.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Judging by the segments, I don't think that those associated with Family Guy like anime. They're pretty much mocking it. I think if they mocked DBZ, surely someone would be upset by it... Not me because I think it would be pretty funny. Robot Chicken mocked Dragon Ball and it was hilarious.
I feel like Robot Chicken is different from Family Guy. Robot Chicken is more niche seeing that it airs around midnight and is aim to the more nerdy group of people. Family Guy is more aim to the general public and most of them probably never seen anything of Dragon Ball. They know of it by name and that's it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/