Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 am

It irritates me. I generally have a distaste for people who talk or scream in a very high-pitched manner, and FUNimation's Fat Buu is the embodiment of a squeaker with added illeism on top of that. It particularly reminds me of kids who play Call of Duty.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:30 am

ABED wrote:To be fair, I think McFarland is good as Roshi in his comedic moments.
Yes he is okay with Pervert Moments but he captures Roshi one Dimensionally and he doesn't sound anything like a wise old Sage when trying to act Serious but always a goofy old Pervert but Miyauchi's Kame Senin Sounds like a wise Old Master who can be Goofy and Pervy at times thus captures the complete character, his Kamehameha sounds Epic too not forced like McFarland's
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 am

McFarland handling the comedic elements well isn't enough to make me believe he's a good Roshi. I don't understand why it's so hard to cast a guy that is an expert in old man roles.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 am

All the English Roshis do that stereotypical old man gold prospector voice.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I believe the Ocean voice actor who played Recoome is David Kaye, who is a very talented actor.
I actually prefer David Kaye's Reacoom Voice after Kenji Utsumi's because those two are the only one who made Him sound like a Ferocious and Hillarious Badass but Chris Sabat in Both Z and Kai Dubs made him sound like a Braindead Retard type of a Character and I don't know why, it's even Evident in This video
We'll never know. Funny thing, Sabat could have done much better if he used his Armstrong voice for Recoome. I can't fathom how anyone can stand Sabat's Recoome. It's just as bad as McFarland's Roshi, Schemmel's King Kai, Martin's Buu and McNeil's Android 16.
Yes Sabat could have used his Armstrong voice too I think he should have given someone else chance to do Yamcha,Reacoom or even Piccolo. McFarland's Roshi Sounded just bad like an American Old Goof, Martin's Boo sounds just plain Awful i can't stand it and it's one of the bad voices of Kai TFC dub too and McNeil's 16 Sounded too monotone but that was the case with whole Ocean Dub post-Season 3 maybe due to bad voice direction.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I actually prefer David Kaye's Reacoom Voice after Kenji Utsumi's because those two are the only one who made Him sound like a Ferocious and Hillarious Badass but Chris Sabat in Both Z and Kai Dubs made him sound like a Braindead Retard type of a Character and I don't know why, it's even Evident in This video
We'll never know. Funny thing, Sabat could have done much better if he used his Armstrong voice for Recoome. I can't fathom how anyone can stand Sabat's Recoome. It's just as bad as McFarland's Roshi, Schemmel's King Kai, Martin's Buu and McNeil's Android 16.
Yes Sabat could have used his Armstrong voice too I think he should have given someone else chance to do Yamcha,Reacoom or even Piccolo. McFarland's Roshi Sounded just bad like an American Old Goof, Martin's Boo sounds just plain Awful i can't stand it and it's one of the bad voices of Kai TFC dub too and McNeil's 16 Sounded too monotone but that was the case with whole Ocean Dub post-Season 3 maybe due to bad voice direction.
It WAS due to bad voice direction. This is why I want Ocean Kai to be aired, to see how the Ocean voice actors performed in that dub and to redeem themselves after the Westwood dub.

Is it hard to cast a good voice actor for these characters (King Kai, Master Roshi, Recoome, Buu and 16)? Because I'm sure it's not. These characters are turned into caricatures because of the voices they're given. It's like they forget that King Kai and Master Roshi can be serious. There's no gravitas to these voices.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: We'll never know. Funny thing, Sabat could have done much better if he used his Armstrong voice for Recoome. I can't fathom how anyone can stand Sabat's Recoome. It's just as bad as McFarland's Roshi, Schemmel's King Kai, Martin's Buu and McNeil's Android 16.
It WAS due to bad voice direction. This is why I want Ocean Kai to be aired, to see how the Ocean voice actors performed in that dub and to redeem themselves after the Westwood dub.

Is it hard to cast a good voice actor for these characters (King Kai, Master Roshi, Recoome, Buu and 16)? Because I'm sure it's not. These characters are turned into caricatures because of the voices they're given. It's like they forget that King Kai and Master Roshi can be serious. There's no gravitas to these voices.
This is Exactly why I vastly prefer Subs for this Series to the dubs because it looks like the dubbing studio takes to much liberties and instead of having a diverse cast which captures the True Personality of Original characters like Deathnote or even Naruto dub, these side characters are literally turned into joke in dub maybe that's why many anime fans who only watched Z Dub look at it like a hardcore Kid cartoon only about fights and cheesy lines :(

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:36 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Is it hard to cast a good voice actor for these characters (King Kai, Master Roshi, Recoome, Buu and 16)? Because I'm sure it's not. These characters are turned into caricatures because of the voices they're given. It's like they forget that King Kai and Master Roshi can be serious. There's no gravitas to these voices.
They weren't casting with a faithful dub in mind, they (Funimation, and to a lesser extent, Ocean) were trying to make the show work for western kids TV which is obviously very different to Japanese kids TV. If the dub was being made with a hardcore anime audience in mind (which many other dubbing studios did cater to) then we probably would have seen more faithful casting, problem is, that wasn't a hugely profitable strategy at the time and it wasn't something that Saban or Funimation could realistically get on kids TV. I'm not defending it btw, I personally think Funimation went way overboard with how much they tried to Americanise their version of DBZ. Even their Kai dub still holds on to remnants of that in the casting.
Ripper 30 wrote: and McNeil's 16 Sounded too monotone but that was the case with whole Ocean Dub post-Season 3 maybe due to bad voice direction.
The whole Westwood dub sounded monotone? If you hold that opinion then you probably haven't heard much of it, or maybe you're using hyperbole for some reason. Also not quite sure why we're picking on McNeil's 16 specifically, especially when Jeremy Inman's version in DBZ is literally about as monotone as one can get. It seems the direction given to these actors was to sound cold and robotic when playing Androids so it's not entirely their fault, plus in McNeil's case, he was trying to sound different from his other DBZ roles, which limited how he could sound as 16. If Funi or Ocean didn't have the Japanese audio at the time, which seems to have been the case when Funi started dubbing in-house, then I can see why they'd default to a more stereotypical direction.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:This is Exactly why I vastly prefer Subs for this Series to the dubs because it looks like the dubbing studio takes to much liberties and instead of having a diverse cast which captures the True Personality of Original characters like Deathnote or even Naruto dub, these side characters are literally turned into joke in dub maybe that's why many anime fans who only watched Z Dub look at it like a hardcore Kid cartoon only about fights and cheesy lines :(
The Death Note dub is a dub that does everything right. It's what all dubs should do.
NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Is it hard to cast a good voice actor for these characters (King Kai, Master Roshi, Recoome, Buu and 16)? Because I'm sure it's not. These characters are turned into caricatures because of the voices they're given. It's like they forget that King Kai and Master Roshi can be serious. There's no gravitas to these voices.
They weren't casting with a faithful dub in mind, they (Funimation, and to a lesser extent, Ocean) were trying to make the show work for western kids TV which is obviously very different to Japanese kids TV. If the dub was being made with a hardcore anime audience in mind (which many other dubbing studios did cater to) then we probably would have seen more faithful casting, problem is, that wasn't a hugely profitable strategy at the time and it wasn't something that Saban or Funimation could realistically get on kids TV. I'm not defending it btw, I personally think Funimation went way overboard with how much they tried to Americanise their version of DBZ. Even their Kai dub still holds on to remnants of that in the casting.
Yeah, I know. I'm just disappointed that there isn't a good English voice for these characters anyway.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: and McNeil's 16 Sounded too monotone but that was the case with whole Ocean Dub post-Season 3 maybe due to bad voice direction.
The whole Westwood dub sounded monotone? If you hold that opinion then you probably haven't heard much of it, or maybe you're using hyperbole for some reason. Also not quite sure why we're picking on McNeil's 16 specifically, especially when Jeremy Inman's version in DBZ is literally about as monotone as one can get. It seems the direction given to these actors was to sound cold and robotic when playing Androids so it's not entirely their fault, plus in McNeil's case, he was trying to sound different from his other DBZ roles, which limited how he could sound as 16. If Funi or Ocean didn't have the Japanese audio at the time, which seems to have been the case when Funi started dubbing in-house, then I can see why they'd default to a more stereotypical direction.
By that I mean the Ocean Dub going downhill after Namek Arc that's What I meant not Monotone thing infact I think Ocean Dub had better voices but not good direction and script. and yes FUNimation's #16 too sounded monotonous at times Like a Zombie speaking too. Actually FUNi had to imitate FUNi voices from Cell arc which made it worse for them.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:23 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Agreed, FUNimation takes far too much liberties when dubbing Dragon Ball related Shows as if it's some American cartoon because they know their audience don't care for manga accuracy but more like listening the show in dub that's all that matters that's why I see many people saying "the Super Dub made BoG and RoF Arc more watchable"
"can't wait for Sean Schemmel to do that scene he will obviously do better than japanese voice"

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Torturephile wrote:It irritates me. I generally have a distaste for people who talk or scream in a very high-pitched manner, and FUNimation's Fat Buu is the embodiment of a squeaker with added illeism on top of that. It particularly reminds me of kids who play Call of Duty.
Lol exactly when Fat Boo screams in dub I just lower the volume of skip it
Last edited by Ripper 30 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
Agreed, FUNimation takes far too much liberties when dubbing Dragon Ball related Shows as if it's some American cartoon because they know their audience don't care for manga accuracy but more like listening the show in dub that's all that matters that's why I see many people saying "the Super Dub made BoG and RoF Arc more watchable"
"can't wait for Sean Schemmel to do that scene he will obviously do better than japanese voice"
Well, I believe Schemmel has earned his praises in the Kai and the recent stuff. He's still no Nozawa though.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't mind it

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: They weren't casting with a faithful dub in mind, they (Funimation, and to a lesser extent, Ocean) were trying to make the show work for western kids TV which is obviously very different to Japanese kids TV. If the dub was being made with a hardcore anime audience in mind (which many other dubbing studios did cater to) then we probably would have seen more faithful casting, problem is, that wasn't a hugely profitable strategy at the time and it wasn't something that Saban or Funimation could realistically get on kids TV. I'm not defending it btw, I personally think Funimation went way overboard with how much they tried to Americanise their version of DBZ. Even their Kai dub still holds on to remnants of that in the casting.
Well, I believe Schemmel has earned his praises in the Kai and the recent stuff. He's still no Nozawa though.
Yes in Recent Stuff he has been good but still the original voice should get credit and it sounds worse when people say "dbz is way better in dub because I hate goku Japanese voice" that is just ignorant and shows how not liking a certain voice means bad dub

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Agreed, FUNimation takes far too much liberties when dubbing Dragon Ball related Shows as if it's some American cartoon because they know their audience don't care for manga accuracy but more like listening the show in dub that's all that matters that's why I see many people saying "the Super Dub made BoG and RoF Arc more watchable"
Yes in Recent Stuff he has been good but still the original voice should get credit and it sounds worse when people say "dbz is way better in dub because I hate goku Japanese voice" that is just ignorant and shows how not liking a certain voice means bad dub
I honestly don't understand why people don't mind Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women in Japanese, yet Goku must be an exception.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Well, I believe Schemmel has earned his praises in the Kai and the recent stuff. He's still no Nozawa though.
I honestly don't understand why people don't mind Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women in Japanese, yet Goku must be an exception.
Yes I never knew why they have such double Standards but that's because they think "Grandma voice don't match with goku's macho Look" or "they find that the female voice actress for goku makes him sound like a Japanese girl" I think it's their biasness for dub and Nozawa is perfect for Goku

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes in Recent Stuff he has been good but still the original voice should get credit and it sounds worse when people say "dbz is way better in dub because I hate goku Japanese voice" that is just ignorant and shows how not liking a certain voice means bad dub
Yes I never knew why they have such double Standards but that's because they think "Grandma voice don't match with goku's macho Look" or "they find that the female voice actress for goku makes him sound like a Japanese girl" I think it's their biasness for dub and Nozawa is perfect for Goku
I never heard a Japanese girl that sounds like Goku. Whenever I hear Nozawa's Goku, I'm not bothered whatsoever. I get the feeling that dub fans would absolutely would have loved it if someone like Akio Otsuka or Akira Kamiya had voiced Goku, no matter how miscast they'd have been.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:13 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I honestly don't understand why people don't mind Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women in Japanese, yet Goku must be an exception.
I never heard a Japanese girl that sounds like Goku. Whenever I hear Nozawa's Goku, I'm not bothered whatsoever. I get the feeling that dub fans would absolutely would have loved it if someone like Akio Otsuka or Akira Kamiya had voiced Goku, no matter how miscast they'd have been.
Yes I heard a lot of female Japanese voices too and neither of them sounds like Goku to me too. I think the only explanation the dub fans give is "Goku is a bulky man so he should sound like a Macho Man" and even if someone like Norio Wakamoto or Daisuke Gori had also voiced Goku then the dub fans have liked it because for them "Deep Voice = Better voice acting" and still they are fine with annoying grating voice of Fat boo in dub

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:16 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes I never knew why they have such double Standards but that's because they think "Grandma voice don't match with goku's macho Look" or "they find that the female voice actress for goku makes him sound like a Japanese girl" I think it's their biasness for dub and Nozawa is perfect for Goku
Yes I heard a lot of female Japanese voices too and neither of them sounds like Goku to me too. I think the only explanation the dub fans give is "Goku is a bulky man so he should sound like a Macho Man" and even if someone like Norio Wakamoto or Daisuke Gori had also voiced Goku then the dub fans have liked it because for them "Deep Voice = Better voice acting" and still they are fine with annoying grating voice of Fat boo in dub
They're too attached to the old dub so they don't mind the voice for Buu.