Pan as main character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Pan as main character

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 pm

ABED wrote:As is, it feels interrupted and incomplete.
Everything after Baby feels like that. You can tell from what little we got afterwards and the guidebooks that they had a lot more to tell but couldn't. I wish they'd release a book that shows everything they had planned for it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 pm

So, she is a tsundere whose arc is incomplete. I like the term "Tsundere". It's a nice concise term for that trope.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Pan as a main character can certainly work if there is proper writing behind it. I mean, I didn't think they could make a Rocky movie with having a young, fresh and new face as the central character and Rocky Balboa as a supporting character work, but they managed to turn that concept into an awesome movie (Creed). Same thing can happen with Dragon Ball and Pan.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Pan as a main character can certainly work if there is proper writing behind it. I mean, I didn't think they could make a Rocky movie with having a young, fresh and new face as the central character and Rocky Balboa as a supporting character work, but they managed to turn that concept into an awesome movie (Creed). Same thing can happen with Dragon Ball and Pan.
Clearly, Rocky is in his 70's, but even in Creed, I think Rocky's story is the most interesting one.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm

ABED wrote:So, she is a tsundere whose arc is incomplete. I like the term "Tsundere". It's a nice concise term for that trope.
Tsundere characters generally act rough to hide vulnerability. Pan was just on her high horse and was generally spoiled plus she never acted especially sweet.

Just compare to even prototypical, classic "tsundere" like Lum Urusei Yatsura.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:09 pm

It might be generally true because that often why people are cold, but it's not inherent in concept. The trope is simply that someone acts in ways that are unpleasant, but over time becomes nicer and warmer. She's a bratty kid at the start. I wouldn't say she never acted sweet. She's sweet with Goku and has some sweet moments with Giru. Starting her out as a bratty young girl and letting her mature was what I think they were going for and could've been a great arc. She's a young girl and I think you forget that.

The term is Japanese, but the trope isn't. You see it all the time. For instance: Yusuke Urameshi, Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan. If we're not limiting it to anime, then characters like Quentin Fields, Peyton, and Nathan from One Tree Hill, Harrison Wells from The Flash, Logan from Veronica Mars, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, Jackie on That '70s Show, Dr. Cox in Scrubs, Spike and Cordy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lassiter on Psych, or Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock. Now that I think of it Jackie from That '70s Show is a perfect analog to Pan. They both start off as young, immature brats, but over time they grow up and become warmer. The significant difference here is that Jackie got to complete her arc.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Goe wrote:Then, do you think Goku should be always the main character? Or do you think Goku could be replaced, but not by Pan?
Yes, Goku should always be the main character. Dragon Ball wouldn't be the same without him, much like the Justice League wouldn't be the same without Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:13 pm

ABED wrote:
1. When he tried with Gohan as main character, we were in 1995, and we are in 2017, so circunstances have changed. In 1995, we weren't fed up of new Goku's stories with low quality and Goku still gave a little more of himself
2. I don't say the idea of DB fans disliking another character taking over the series is illogical. I say that being fan of an idea that you don't want come true isn't logical...and you have said lot of people are fans of an idea that they don't want come true
1. Having someone else take over isn't the only solution.
2. I'm having trouble understanding you. I said people are fans of ideas, but execution is another matter. I never said they are fans of an idea they don't want to see come true.
1. I think the only solution to refresh DB is a character taking over the series, because as I have ready said, Goku has been exploited as a character, and he doesn't give more of himself as a character.
2. Then I misunderstood you. Then, you think people who like the idea of new characters taking over want to see come true...but you think if Toriyama/Toei decided to create a new series with a character who takes over the series, people who liked this idea before won't like it once they see their dream coming true. Right?

Well, in that case, the problem wouldn't be the idea itself, the problem would be the execution of the idea. People who like a idea will always enjoy that idea coming true if the idea is well developed. When I propose Pan taking over the series, I know that idea could be developed in a bad way and we could have a garbage as result, but then the problem wouldn't be the idea itseld but the development of the idea. I have created this post to discuss if my idea of Pan as main character is itself a good idea or not. All ideas could be developed in a bad way so Vegeta could have been a garbage-character if Toriyama would have developed him in a bad way, but it's undeniable that creating a guy with Vegeta's characteristics was a great idea full of potential.

PS: Thanks for replying 8000 saiyan.
PS2: I have edited first post with a list of people who like my idea and people who doesn't like. If I have commited any mistake, please tell me. By the way, if you want to appear in the list as a voter, tell me and I'll add your vote

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:33 pm

Well, in that case, the problem wouldn't be the idea itself, the problem would be the execution of the idea. People who like a idea will always enjoy that idea coming true if the idea is well developed.
Which is what I wrote. Execution is always what matters and I've never seen a story where another character took over as the lead and be the better for it or at least as good. It can still be good, but never as good.

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:07 pm

ABED wrote:
Well, in that case, the problem wouldn't be the idea itself, the problem would be the execution of the idea. People who like a idea will always enjoy that idea coming true if the idea is well developed.
Which is what I wrote. Execution is always what matters and I've never seen a story where another character took over as the lead and be the better for it or at least as good. It can still be good, but never as good.
I agree about DB with Pan as main character wouldn't as good as 1984-1995 DB manga but it could be better than DBGT, DBS and all films since The Legend of Sheng Long to FNF.

Execution always matters but is not the only thing that matters. First of all we need a good idea. For example, turning Bacterian or Boss Rabbit in the new main character of DB is obviously a bad idea and wouldn't work, so thinking seriously about its execution has no sense. But a good idea could work if the execution is okay

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Execution IS what matters because ideas are easy. And how do we judge some vague idea if nothing comes of it? There are plenty of cool sounding ideas that could easily be horrible if executed wrong. Execution is all that matters because at the end of the day, THAT is the product. To go further, true greatness is taking a bad sounding idea and making something great out of it. The Lego Movie sounded AWFUL on paper and it ended up being such a good movie. The basic idea of The King's Speech sounds like an awful movie (a guy with a speech impediment has to make a public speech so he goes to a speech therapist, eventually delivers the speech).

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 pm

I feel like a series focusing on Pan would be great...if TOEI does it RIGHT of course.

Maybe if she had a personality similar to that of Sakura Kasugano from Street Fighter.

Specifically, Pan would be very outgoing and respectful, happy, energetic, cheerful, positive, hard-working and focused in combat. She has a noble spirit and a very determined attitude in her martial arts training. She sees Goku as an idol and teacher, since she always watches him fight and mirrors herself on his philosophies in battle.

In my eyes, Pan would probably become so much more likable than her GT counterpart if she had a personality like this.

Honestly, I feel like Pan WAS shaping up to be a Sakura-kind of character by EoZ, but TOEI wanted to do their own take on Pan when they solely headed DBGT, and as we all know, her character fell quite flat in the end.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:20 pm

If Goku ever ages or dies, then Pan is our guy (or girl, IDK what to say). I think she has tremendous potential from the EoZ and from what I've heard from Super she's been interesting. Now that female SSJ's are a thing there's no reason she couldn't do that or go beyond that even.
The way I think this could be executed is showing Pan grow up balancing school with training, somewhat in the mold of the Great Saiyaman saga but more realistic than cheesy. I can also imagine if Pan fought with the Z Fighters against villains, Mr Satan would want her to have the credit because she is his granddaughter, which would create an interesting conflict. As an adult, Pan would balance college and a job with fighting, and we'd see scenes where she'd be working in an office or wherever then suddenly sense a huge power level and fly away, then face comedic consequences. Of course, my idea would be very comedic, but I think it could have a different mood if anybody wanted to make it different. Thoughts?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Honestly, I'm not all that interested in Pan taking over. With her EOZ portrayal it seems that she'll most likely become another Goku, and we already had one of those. It's best that if Goku leaves the role of the central character then another character like Freeza becomes the main character, perhaps Freeza's daughter? Maybe Kuriza's time to shine?

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:26 pm

ABED wrote:
coola wrote:Since Buu Saga, i started to really dislike Goku, and I'm all to replace him as main character, just not with Kid Goten and Trunks.
Why do you hate him?
If you watch Super, you'll know why.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 pm

omaro34 wrote:
ABED wrote:
coola wrote:Since Buu Saga, i started to really dislike Goku, and I'm all to replace him as main character, just not with Kid Goten and Trunks.
Why do you hate him?
If you watch Super, you'll know why.
Nothing I've heard makes me think he's deserving of being hated or replaced. What did he do that was so awful in the Buu arc?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm

ABED wrote:Nothing I've heard makes me think he's deserving of being hated or replaced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ab7KN1tVpI
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't know about as the main-main character, but I'm all for her eventually getting to come into her own. Personally, I'd vouch more so for Oob to be the new lead, with Pan being his direct foil, maybe in a co-lead situation almost in the same way that Vegeta is considered side-by-side with Goku in a lot of ways now.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:47 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:Nothing I've heard makes me think he's deserving of being hated or replaced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ab7KN1tVpI
Like I said, I've heard nothing that makes me think he's deserving of being hated or replaced. This is not a superhero show. Even if it was, all that matters is if the character is interesting, not if they are always making the right decisions.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:33 am

I guess I'm in the minority.
I'm not really a fan of the whole next gen thing, like say Naruto for example, ever since this Boruto happened I completely stopped watching it, tho I skip parts whenever I hear people in the forums mention Naruto had an ok role in there, I skip the parts and only watch Naruto's scenes, thats probably what will happen to me if the next gen thing happens, I mean this already happened to me back in the great saiyaman bs, I stopped watching and only returned to watching when my friends told me they revived Goku, despite my love for Gohan it just isnt the same without Goku, this started with him so it should end with him, if Gohan couldnt do it for me then I doubt Pan could.

I agree with ABED, I've never watched a show/manga that replaced the original main character that turned out to be just as good, Avatar the last airbender,Naruto,half of GSD are some examples I can think of.