Dragon Ball in Japanese not allowed on YouTube?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball in Japanese not allowed on YouTube?

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:What do you mean? You believe that Toei automatically gets a cut from every video that goes up on YouTube by random people?
If you get an automated match, then yes, all of the ad revenue goes to them. A lot of my videos have suffered that fate. Sometimes they'll come along later on and take down the video either way, which is a pain.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Really? Honestly, that's kind of a cool concept to reimburse the copyright holders. But saying that they should keep the videos up because they get a cut anyway is just silly.

tellyzbad1
Banned Alternate Account

Post by tellyzbad1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:52 pm

From my experience, uploading a clip of 5+ minutes of nothing but the DB clip itself will get your video blocked worldwide. This is regardless of whether it's Japanese/English. Toei block it worldwide.

If the video is under 5 minutes but over 30 seconds, they will simply monetize the video for themselves. But, as Ajay touched on, they sometimes go on a takedown spree and delete a bunch of videos, even those that were monetized by them.

There was once a time where DBZ was autodetected as FUNimation's copyrighted content, rather than Toei's, and they used to block the video in Japan only. I wonder what that was about.

To answer your question, though: It's confusing. Since, if Toei didn't want them at all on YouTube, when the copyright is autodetected and the video is under 5 minutes, they could just block it worldwide rather than monetizing. But, they allow it and then randomly delete, which is weird. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with being English/Japanese. I've just looked through my videos and the DBZ videos that have English dub aren't even detected as FUNimation's content, just Toei's.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Since it's technically illegal to post any Dragon Ball clips on YouTube, I'm surprised that Toei isn't cracking down on all the languages that uploaded clips are in.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 am

I tried uploading dragon ball videos and they are frequently or deleted or restrict i think it's more automatic script than manual process.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm

tellyzbad1 wrote:From my experience, uploading a clip of 5+ minutes of nothing but the DB clip itself will get your video blocked worldwide. This is regardless of whether it's Japanese/English. Toei block it worldwide.

If the video is under 5 minutes but over 30 seconds, they will simply monetize the video for themselves. But, as Ajay touched on, they sometimes go on a takedown spree and delete a bunch of videos, even those that were monetized by them.

There was once a time where DBZ was autodetected as FUNimation's copyrighted content, rather than Toei's, and they used to block the video in Japan only. I wonder what that was about.

To answer your question, though: It's confusing. Since, if Toei didn't want them at all on YouTube, when the copyright is autodetected and the video is under 5 minutes, they could just block it worldwide rather than monetizing. But, they allow it and then randomly delete, which is weird. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with being English/Japanese. I've just looked through my videos and the DBZ videos that have English dub aren't even detected as FUNimation's content, just Toei's.
If you go on Hulu, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT are listed under Toei not Funimation. There's also no dub version of either series on there. Z has been taken down altogether. The funny part is that Hulu uses Funimation's footage and episode titles. Also, Cowboy Bebop is under Funimation, which is kind of hilarious since I think they just recently bought the rights to it so the fact that it's under Funimation's banner but DB and GT aren't is strange. Oh well, it must be the latest deal between Funimation and Toei that Toei gets full credit for the series? I don't know..

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:35 pm

This is what I don't get, there a lot of Dragonball youtube channels on right now covering Super week after week with reviews/images from the new episodes, and these people are saying they make money off these videos or else they wouldn't bother to do them.

How are these western youtubers making money covering new Super episodes every week? Just go to youtube and you'll see dozens of reviewers of the current Super episodes. Some of them include clips or images from the episode, why doesn't Toei take their money away? Most of them admitted to making money off it themselves.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:36 pm

precita wrote:This is what I don't get, there a lot of Dragonball youtube channels on right now covering Super week after week with reviews/images from the new episodes, and these people are saying they make money off these videos or else they wouldn't bother to do them.

How are these western youtubers making money covering new Super episodes every week? Just go to youtube and you'll see dozens of reviewers of the current Super episodes. Some of them include clips or images from the episode, why doesn't Toei take their money away? Most of them admitted to making money off it themselves.
I discussed this earlier in the thread. In a nutshell: they're not transparent about it, and we have no idea why they do the things they do the way they do them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:43 pm

If that's the case, it's disappointing some "get away" with the loophole. Some of these people are literally making thousands of dollars just reviewing Super episodes week after week, and as I said a lot of these youtube videos include random clips from the episodes.

I know you can report a video if you want, but I guess most people don't bother because they don't care enough. It's not like anyone wants to purposely ruin someone elses day, or money.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:15 pm

If someone's providing an audience what they perceive to be valuable content in the form of criticism and analysis using appropriate context... well, maybe they deserve to make money from that.

That's an entirely separate conversation, however, from the current state of its legality.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tellyzbad1
Banned Alternate Account

Post by tellyzbad1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 pm

If you want to get really technical with legalities, soooooo much we do online regarding Dragon Ball and other copyrighted content isn't "legal"--not just whether we get paid or not. When it comes to making money, though, or any other personal gains, I think we should look at it in terms of morality.
Morally, nothing wrong (imo) with making 99 cents per thousand views on a video you may have spent 30mins-up-to-4+ hours on, where you're expressing your opinions and analysis that people are interested in hearing. But making money form the type of vids mentioned in the original post, just uploads of the copyrighted content, yeah making money from that isn't morally okay and no one is able to do that anyway.

I had a similar conversation to this with someone about AMV contests giving away very valuable prizes. Some say "AMVs use copyrighted content, it's not right to be rewarded for them." But again, we're not really being paid/rewarded for the anime content in these review vids or AMVs...surely the input we put in (time/effort) is worth something in return.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Yup, he has even upgraded to Dragon Box Uploads with Proper Subtitles but too bad TOEI doesn't allow his videos on YouTube, I think it's mostly case with DBZ Subbed only because there are lots of Japanese Uploads of Naruto on YouTube which even includes long fights. Also, TOEI blocks Kai Clips as well.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:Yup, he has even upgraded to Dragon Box Uploads with Proper Subtitles but too bad TOEI doesn't allow his videos on YouTube, I think it's mostly case with DBZ Subbed only because there are lots of Japanese Uploads of Naruto on YouTube which even includes long fights. Also, TOEI blocks Kai Clips as well.
His channel is dead at this point, he's pretty much given up on trying to upload clips and only makes videos shitting on Super.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:Yup, he has even upgraded to Dragon Box Uploads with Proper Subtitles but too bad TOEI doesn't allow his videos on YouTube, I think it's mostly case with DBZ Subbed only because there are lots of Japanese Uploads of Naruto on YouTube which even includes long fights. Also, TOEI blocks Kai Clips as well.
His channel is dead at this point, he's pretty much given up on trying to upload clips and only makes videos shitting on Super.
Yup TOEI isn't even allowing his DBZ Sub videos to Stay for even 24 Hours
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30