You think Toriyama has a thing for feisty, obnoxious females?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: You think Toriyama has a thing for feisty, obnoxious females?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 pm

But again, he was never obligated to do anything with Chichi anyway. If he never wrote her into the Tenkaichi Budokai to marry Goku, then nobody would ever remember her any more than people remembered the Rabbit Boss.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:But again, he was never obligated to do anything with Chichi anyway. If he never wrote her into the Tenkaichi Budokai to marry Goku, then nobody would ever remember her any more than people remembered the Rabbit Boss.
I think I would, if only because a girl who decapitates a dinosaur is pretty memorable and she's Gyumao's daughter who was Son Gohan's friend and training partner. If she never came back after first being introduced, Chichi's desire to marry Goku would've been an unresolved, albeit small, plot point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I didn't mean that nobody would remember her, I meant that nobody would remember her the way that they ended up remembering her. She decapitated a dinosaur and was Gyumao's daughter, who was Gohan's friend. Sure. But that doesn't mean that Chichi needed to be featured in the story. I mean for one thing, how many volumes of the manga came out without Chichi? How many episodes passed without Chichi being involved? I don't think too many people were sitting around that whole time going, "You know what... What the hell happened to Chichi?"

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Videl's current characterization is pretty far from feisty.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This is a super-fucked-up thing to say and is not OK.

Much appreciation to everyone else's well-written posts citing relevant points.
I dont think his joke was that bad that it needed to be called out this way. Sure it might be a little offensive most funny jokes are but not "super-fucked-up". His comment could be easily applied to most of the main female cast. What he said didn't target nobody and was too broad that it would be silly for some to actually take seriously. I would like to believe that females in this forum are mature enough that trivial little things like this won't bother them and don't need protection from comments like this.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:48 pm

I think you're exaggerating a little. There's a lot of Dragon Ball women not like that. 18, Videl, Nice Launch, Mrs. Brief, and more recently, Kale and Vados and probably the other female angels, and maybe Helles too. The ones who are like that are Bulma, Chi-Chi, Mean Launch, Caulifla and who else? Seems like there's more female characters who are not like that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 am

You know, when you think about it, there are lots of females not like that. We're talking Arale, Suno, the priest's daughter in the first episodes of Dragon Ball, Lanfan, Maron, "nice" Lunch (I pulled a Toriyama and forgot about her), Bulma's mom, etc., etc. I feel like the only "fiesty" women are Bulma, Chichi at times (though it is justified when everyone thinks that her 5 year old should be fighting murderous planet conquerors), and Videl in the very beginning. Other than that... nah.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:03 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:I think you're exaggerating a little. There's a lot of Dragon Ball women not like that. 18, Videl, Nice Launch, Mrs. Brief, and more recently, Kale and Vados and probably the other female angels, and maybe Helles too. The ones who are like that are Bulma, Chi-Chi, Mean Launch, Caulifla and who else? Seems like there's more female characters who are not like that.
While there might be less women like that, the main cast of women are. When you think of the women of dragon ball who come to mind first? Also while 18 isn't necessarily obnoxious, she shares a similar strong personality that the other women in the show have. Videl started off feisty and obnoxious and to be honest it wouldn't be out of character if she acted like that again in super.
While it might be over exaggerated and most of the women aren't like that, the memorable and iconic ones are.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 am

Bruma rabu wrote: While there might be less women like that, the main cast of women are. When you think of the women of dragon ball who come to mind first? Also while 18 isn't necessarily obnoxious, she shares a similar strong personality that the other women in the show have. Videl started off feisty and obnoxious and to be honest it wouldn't be out of character if she acted like that again in super.
While it might be over exaggerated and most of the women aren't like that, the memorable and iconic ones are.
I personally never found Videl to be obnoxious. She was feisty without it being annoying. Okay she was a little annoying at times, but even in her annoying moments, she maintained composer and rationale, whereas the likes of Bulma and Chi-Chi lose composer on a regular basis. I suppose 18's personality could be seen as strong, but it's not similar to Bulma or Chi-Chi at all. Just because one could say all three have strong personalities, doesn't mean they're similar. We could just as easily say that Vegeta and Hit have strong personalities, but it doesn't mean they're similar. 18 always remains composed, is quiet, and she's not emotional at all. Even when she's angry, she's composed. And I would also consider her one of the memorable and iconic women. So between her, Chi-Chi and Bulma, I suppose at least a 3rd of the "memorable" women don't fit the title description of this thread.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 am

WittyUsername wrote:Videl's current characterization is pretty far from feisty.
To be fair, that's TOEI's writing of her. So far, Videl doesn't seem to fit in anywhere in Toriyama's plot outside of her one use in BOG
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:I personally never found Videl to be obnoxious. She was feisty without it being annoying. Okay she was a little annoying at times, but even in her annoying moments, she maintained composer and rationale, whereas the likes of Bulma and Chi-Chi lose composer on a regular basis. I suppose 18's personality could be seen as strong, but it's not similar to Bulma or Chi-Chi at all. Just because one could say all three have strong personalities, doesn't mean they're similar. We could just as easily say that Vegeta and Hit have strong personalities, but it doesn't mean they're similar. 18 always remains composed, is quiet, and she's not emotional at all. Even when she's angry, she's composed. And I would also consider her one of the memorable and iconic women. So between her, Chi-Chi and Bulma, I suppose at least a 3rd of the "memorable" women don't fit the title description of this thread.
I didn't say that she has a similar personality to them but that she has a strong one like them. Obviously 18 would be apart of the iconic women of dragon ball. You don't consider getting into Gohans business obnoxious? I think the poster should of just titled this something else but I can understand why they choose to name it this way. Also I would consider Pan as an icon girl in the series but I'm sure somebody will just come out and say "but Toriyama didn't have anything to do with her" so I guess she'll just have be left out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:56 am

You don't consider getting into Gohans business obnoxious?
When? In the Great Saiyaman arc? I don't think she was obnoxious, she just wanted the truth.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 am

ABED wrote:When? In the Great Saiyaman arc? I don't think she was obnoxious, she just wanted the truth.
A truth she had no business knowing. I don't take dragon ball seriously but a lot of videl's actions looks a lot like harassment. I would consider someone harassing some else to be obnoxious, but that's just me I guess.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:When? In the Great Saiyaman arc? I don't think she was obnoxious, she just wanted the truth.
A truth she had no business knowing. I don't take dragon ball seriously but a lot of videl's actions looks a lot like harassment. I would consider someone harassing some else to be obnoxious, but that's just me I guess.
Why did she not have any business knowing it? It's not like Gohan was an undercover cop.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:00 am

ABED wrote:Why did she not have any business knowing it? It's not like Gohan was an undercover cop.
So if you suspect some one of being a hero you'd follow them around and demand that they reveal their identy to you? I mean you just want to know the truth right? Its not like its obnoxious to pester them cause you just want the truth right? I mean it's not like it non of your business right?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:Why did she not have any business knowing it? It's not like Gohan was an undercover cop.
So if you suspect some one of being a hero you'd follow them around and demand that they reveal their identy to you? I mean you just want to know the truth right? Its not like its obnoxious to pester them cause you just want the truth right? I mean it's not like it non of your business right?
If you had good reason to suspect someone of being a superhero, wouldn't you want to know? And why does she have no business knowing? She's been deputized and he's been showing up wherever she is, so she has justification for wanting to figure it out.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am

ABED wrote:If you had good reason to suspect someone of being a superhero, wouldn't you want to know? And why does she have no business knowing?
Sure, but i know people who do that have their reason to keep it a secret. She doesn't know Gohan on a personal level, period. She shouldn't be poking her nose around in his privet life with that reason alone.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:If you had good reason to suspect someone of being a superhero, wouldn't you want to know? And why does she have no business knowing?
Sure, but i know people who do that have their reason to keep it a secret. She doesn't know Gohan on a personal level, period. She shouldn't be poking her nose around in his privet life with that reason alone.
She's not poking around his private life. The Great Saiyaman isn't his private life. Yes, people keep secrets for a reason, often good reasons, but most aren't going out fighting criminals as a superhero. This isn't the sort of thing I find obnoxious. I do think female characters get knocked for doing the same things the male characters do but male characters don't get near the amount of flack.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 am

ABED wrote:She's not poking around his private life. The Great Saiyaman isn't his private life. Yes, people keep secrets for a reason, often good reasons, but most aren't going out fighting criminals as a superhero.
The thing is it doesn't matter if it his private life or not. She was being obnoxious towards him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:She's not poking around his private life. The Great Saiyaman isn't his private life. Yes, people keep secrets for a reason, often good reasons, but most aren't going out fighting criminals as a superhero.
The thing is it doesn't matter if it his private life or not. She was being obnoxious towards him.
Fair enough, but it was fun seeing their relationship develop. Starting off slightly antagonistic gave Toriyama some place to go with them.