Garlic Jr. Saga helped set up the Cell Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Garlic Jr. Saga helped set up the Cell Saga

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:36 pm

So when i was younger and Toonami had that special Garlic Jr Saga promotion, I actually thought it did well that it helped set up storylines and helped reinforce things to come. Piccolo's and Kami's connection was again reinforced heavily in this arc which eventually they will become fused int he next arc. Vegeta wanting to become a Super Saiyan with him trying to search for Goku which he does become against #19. Krillin's love life becomes even more evident when he was dating Marron and it comes into play again when he develops a crush on #18. Also Gohan being the savior of the arc is what eventually happens again against Cell.

This is what it seemed like when Iw as a kid, and then when I grew older and realized it wasn't apart of the original manga and upon rewatchingt he saga, I still thinks it does a good job easing into the cell arc. It's not a great arc but I think it still had great moments.

What do you guys think, am I just over thinking this or did it do well easing into the Cell arc?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Emiliow

Re: Garlic Jr. Saga helped set up the Cell Saga

Post by Emiliow » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm

I always liked how it continued the first Z movie's plot, since it was one of the better films. It wasn't an amazing arc but as with all the filler of Z it doesn't bother med.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I've always liked it for the most part, and I agree that it does work well in dealing with some similar elements to the Cell saga. The final struggle against the Dead Zone portal feels really suspenseful and exciting, and is pretty similar to the beam struggle between Gohan and Cell which also involves everyone working together and hinges on Gohan throwing caution to the wind and ending things.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 pm

It's also the first time Gohan saves the world without Goku, which as you said leads into Gohan defeating Cell. I also liked that Krillin and Piccolo got some focus.

I kinda wish Yamcha got to be part of the arc rather than being taken over by the mist immediately, but he did shoot a beam at Piccolo's back.