Catching up on old episodes of super. Where should I start?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Catching up on old episodes of super. Where should I start?

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I've seen BoG and Rez F and like other people tell me, I can mostly skip those arcs. So about where should I start watching?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Catching up on old episodes of super. Where should I start?

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:50 pm

If this is you're first time watching Super then I say start from the first episode. It's not terribly different but they add some stuff to the movie material. Episodes 15-18 are worth watching.
The BOG and RF episodes are part of the experience even if they aren't pretty.

But if you absolutely must skip all that then episode 28 is where the newer stuff starts.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd also recommend the first two episodes and I think it was episodes 15-18, they're slice of life fillers or Goku/Vegeta training with Whis and weren't in the movies. Watch those as well before you skip to episode 28.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm

BOG : 1-14
RF : 16-27
Champa : 28-41
Trunks : 47-67
Current arc : 77-till now
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Really don't bother with the retelling arcs. There are some cool additions here and there, but they're overall just mostly shittier versions of the films. Ajay made a cool cut of RoF that adds in the best bits of the retellings, so I'd go with that if anything.

For everything after, sintzu's right on the money.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:44 am

Zephyr wrote: Ajay made a cool cut of RoF that adds in the best bits of the retellings, so I'd go with that if anything.
Where can I find this?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:24 am

Zephyr wrote:Really don't bother with the retelling arcs. There are some cool additions here and there, but they're overall just mostly shittier versions of the films.
Overall they're worse but I think someone watching Super for the first time should watch them once just to know what they're about and how they compare to the original.

Also keep in mind that they're done so new comers won't have to wait a week between episodes to finish them, maybe 4-5 days at the most to get through them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 am

Watct the movies then DBS from episode 28 onwards, watch everything because some of Super's best episodes happen during the off seasons, some people are under the assumption these are "filler" they're necessary we can't jump from arc to arc we need downtime and mellow moments

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:40 am

sintzu wrote:Overall they're worse but I think someone watching Super for the first time should watch them once just to know what they're about and how they compare to the original.
I disagree. They're about what the films are about: Beerus and Golden Freeza. In terms of how they compare, the former are a pair of standard-runtime films. The latter are a pair of films stretched to at least 4 hours a piece, that are only hindered by the extension. Even a surface level comparison like that sours the idea of the retellings, and that's without getting into the details that render them more crappy.

I'm not saying to avoid them at any cost, if they're that curious they should by all means check them out, but I'm not going to recommend that someone watch a worse version of something. There's always going to be a better use of someone's time.
mute_proxy wrote:
Zephyr wrote: Ajay made a cool cut of RoF that adds in the best bits of the retellings, so I'd go with that if anything.
Where can I find this?
There's a thread for it in the fan works section. Ajay also has a Twitter.