Madman's Dragon Ball Z Remastered Movie Collections 1 & 2

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Madman's Dragon Ball Z Remastered Movie Collections 1 & 2

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 am

So back when Funimation's remastered DBZ movies released, us fans in Australia and New Zealand only got the remasters on DVD for some strange reason. But now, finally, Madman are going to release two Dragon Ball Z movie collections on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Collection 1 and Collection 2.

Collection 1 will contain movies 1-6, Bardock - The Father of Goku and The History of Trunks. Collection 2 will contain movies 7-13. The collections will cost $49.95 each on both Blu-ray and DVD. They will both be releasing on the 4th of October.

Super excited for this. I went and bought some of the films on Blu-ray from Amazon in the U.S. and could only watch it on my region free Blu-ray player because of the movies being in region A. These two new Blu-ray collections combined are cheaper than the already existing DVD movie collection that's selling for $120.00 on Madman's website.

I'll be updating the thread once cover artwork and any other details begin to show up. I'll also show off what the collections look like once I get my hands on them.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: Madman's Dragon Ball Z Remastered Movie Collections 1 & 2

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:08 am

No History of Trunks?
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:No History of Trunks?
History of Trunks is in it. Sorry, guess I should've been more specific.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
It's just not in the listing on their site.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
It's just not in the listing on their site.
Huh, good eye because I completely missed that. I guess it's just a screw up on their website. It says "Catch 8 of the Z Fighters epic battles with this powerful collection!" when it only lists 7. I'm sure that it's in the collection.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am

Pretty neat been meaning to watch the old movies in Japanese and don't own them so will probably look into importing this, doesn't look like MangaUK will get round to these and these seem cheaper then importing all the FUNi BD ones.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:05 am

Are Madman's versions region 2 ? If they are then I might get these cause I haven't gotten the original 12 movies on Blu-Ray yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

sintzu wrote:Are Madman's versions region 2 ? If they are then I might get these cause I haven't gotten the original 12 movies on Blu-Ray yet.
Aus Blu-ray region is B and Aus DVD region is 4.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

Assuming this is the same as Funimation's existing Blu-Rays, this is nothing to get excited about. The poorly-done grain reduction and over-sharpening that already afflicts their BDs of the series are still present on the movies, so ultimately there's probably just as much detail visible on the original DVD singles of the movies(And even less if you get the DVD version). Plus, the singles were in 4:3, while these are cropped. For some, this isn't a problem for the movies, but even if you are someone who prefers them cropped, they don't use the same crop as Toei use, so it doesn't even cater to that audience.

Plus, the specials are cropped, which is objectively wrong.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Assuming this is the same as Funimation's existing Blu-Rays, this is nothing to get excited about. The poorly-done grain reduction and over-sharpening that already afflicts their BDs of the series are still present on the movies, so ultimately there's probably just as much detail visible on the original DVD singles of the movies(And even less if you get the DVD version). Plus, the singles were in 4:3, while these are cropped. For some, this isn't a problem for the movies, but even if you are someone who prefers them cropped, they don't use the same crop as Toei use, so it doesn't even cater to that audience.

Actually, it is really. Any time a country gets it's 'own' release, it increases the availability of the title, especially for those who don't want to import. Regardless if the quality is not ideal.

Even though I have the US Blu-Rays, i'm certainly interested in getting these sets if the artwork is worth it.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this info, I'm always interested in hearing what releases others are getting. I'm glad you all are getting the movies on Blu-ray finally. When the cover artwork is finalized, perhaps you'll add it to a thread I recently started asking about info on releases from different regions? I'm trying to start a catalog of sorts for those curious about what folks are getting elsewhere in the world.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 am

Akira wrote:Thanks for sharing this info, I'm always interested in hearing what releases others are getting. I'm glad you all are getting the movies on Blu-ray finally. When the cover artwork is finalized, perhaps you'll add it to a thread I recently started asking about info on releases from different regions? I'm trying to start a catalog of sorts for those curious about what folks are getting elsewhere in the world.
Absolutely! I'll update this thread once the cover art is released and I'll add it to your thread as well.
Robo4900 wrote:Assuming this is the same as Funimation's existing Blu-Rays, this is nothing to get excited about. The poorly-done grain reduction and over-sharpening that already afflicts their BDs of the series are still present on the movies, so ultimately there's probably just as much detail visible on the original DVD singles of the movies(And even less if you get the DVD version). Plus, the singles were in 4:3, while these are cropped. For some, this isn't a problem for the movies, but even if you are someone who prefers them cropped, they don't use the same crop as Toei use, so it doesn't even cater to that audience.

I'm excited purely because of the price and that we're finally getting the movie Blu-rays released here. Judging from the Blu-ray DBZ films that I have seen so far, I think they look fine. I'm also not fussed about the specials being cropped.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:47 am

Really hoping for Japanese title cards and credits
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 am

Bear wrote:Really hoping for Japanese title cards and credits
They will be ports of the US discs.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 am

LordCrumb wrote:Actually, it is really. Any time a country gets it's 'own' release, it increases the availability of the title, especially for those who don't want to import. Regardless if the quality is not ideal.

Even though I have the US Blu-Rays, i'm certainly interested in getting these sets if the artwork is worth it.
Yeah, but the original DVD singles are actually better than this release.
If all you care about is the price or the box art, that's fine I guess, but remember that every time you buy a cropped, crappy-looking, overly-DNR'd release, you're supporting Funimation's attitude of continuing to pump out this crap.

Not saying you shouldn't buy it, just that you shouldn't buy it if you don't want to support this type of release, which is something a lot of Dragon Ball fans seem to have overlooked over the past few years.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:23 am

If anything, this will probably sell because of the price and the convenience of the whole thing. I don't own the Blu-rays but I don't know if I will get this (Aussie here).

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:13 am

Here's the cover art for both collections.
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
The second one looks alright but I'm not a fan of that first one. That background does not go well with that Goku.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Damn, was hoping they would do something original.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 am

LordCrumb wrote:Damn, was hoping they would do something original.
I guess what I'm about to show is kinda original.

This isn't on Madman's website so I'm guessing this is a JB Hi-Fi exclusive?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Both Blu-ray movie collections in one slip case of all 7 Dragon Balls. Looks neat! I will definitely be picking this one up rather than getting the collections separately.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am

LordCrumb wrote:Damn, was hoping they would do something original.
I guess what I'm about to show is kinda original.

This isn't on Madman's website so I'm guessing this is a JB Hi-Fi exclusive?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Both Blu-ray movie collections in one slip case of all 7 Dragon Balls. Looks neat! I will definitely be picking this one up rather than getting the collections separately.
Thank god I checked this thread again, I was just about to pre order from madman but i will be going with the JB hi-fi one now. The artwork is pretty bad on both of the sets so a slip cover will be needed :lol: