Will Dragon Ball ever get a true 100% reanimation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Will Dragon Ball ever get a true 100% reanimation?

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Out of all the anime in the world, I would say DBZ would be the most entitled to a reanimation. Yet, 22 years down the line after its original run it still hasn't happened, does anyone know why that is? What even more interesting is substantially lesser known have gotten reanimated like: Hunter x Hunter, FMA, Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Ruroni Kenshin and ironically Dr. Slump. What's more to boot it took almost 20 years for an HD remaster of it, yet Naruto gets one in half that time an actual true remaster, not some type shit you can do in on your TV settings with Kai. DBZ has been home to some of the most beautiful and captivating scenes in the anime of well deserved praise, nonetheless a large chunk of it could use a well deserved facelift, even some of the decent animated scenes are beginning to show their age as the standard of animation continually goes up. On the receding end, I know what some of you might be thinking, but "Oh Toei is doing DBS right and it's already hanging on a thread as it is" that very much true though Toei wouldn't have to do the reanimation themselves they could outsource it to another studio. In the same manner of how Ufotable is letting A1 Pictures handle the new Fate anime series, because their stockpiled on their other anime projects.

So do any of you think DBZ will ever be reanimated in the near future? I think no because Toei is cheap and have terrible business ethic. But what do you all think?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Will Dragon ever get a true 100% reanimation?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:38 pm

It's not necessary. We have genuine new material now, old Dragon Ball is done and dusted the home video market for long running shonen shows is not big in Japan so who would exactly be the market for this? Kai was the opportunity to to but that boat sailed long ago and they ain't going to get that opportunity ever again.
It's funny you say they have terrible business ethic whereas going back and reanimating DB would just be that it would be a waste of resources and isn't needed plus with Super and it's gigantic success they'd be also completing with themselves which would not be smart at all...

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm

It would be nice, but it would be very difficult to do because fans would expect something of higher quality.
El Conejo Malo

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 pm

If this were going to happen Kai would have been it instead of spliced together animation.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 pm

ugh, no. DBZ (and DB) is fine the way it is. Even before DBS, I was never that much a fan of some of the later DBZ-centric animation of the past 10 years. Sure it's cleaner, and flashier, but it loses a lot of what makes Toriyama's art so damn appealing.

Plus if you really want to rewatch DBZ, you can--easily.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:48 pm

It would be nice, but ultimately the problem is that the anime business itself has changed, such that the quality overall doesn't match up a lot of the time to the 80s and 90s that Dragon Ball made its name in, at least until it comes out on Blu-Ray apparently. When it comes to animation and drawing and colouring, the emphasis seems to be more about getting it out the door than making it look great (although I realize DB and DBZ weren't exactly renowned for their amazing animations and drawings).

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 pm

I don't know if we will ever get one. But I don't think we should really get a reanimation.

Dragonball is fine the way it is. Most of the other anime example you gave had a reason to have a new version of it. Berserk still has a lot of material that hadn't been animated or Full metal animating parts of the manga that hadn't been animated in the original anime.

Dragonball though has been finished for a couple of decades now, and has all be animated. No point in Reanimating it for the same story that is still out there except just to have a more modern looking version. Which would most likely have the current style. I'm unsure how a lot of the older fans would feel about that, but I guess newer fans wouldn't have an issue with it though.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Not to mention Dragon Ball is kinda long even when you focus just on Z, so reanimating the entire storyline all over again is a huge undertaking, and as Kai showed there may not be enough interest to justify going through the entire series and would get it cancelled like it's the Level Sets. That kind of applies to the movie as well; much as I like the 10th Anniversary movie, it feels rather redundant in the face of the already existing anime coverage.

Making new stories therefore is a more productive use of the time and effort and gives us new adventures and moments to enjoy.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It's not necessary. We have genuine new material now, old Dragon Ball is done and dusted the home video market for long running shonen shows is not big in Japan so who would exactly be the market for this? Kai was the opportunity to to but that boat sailed long ago and they ain't going to get that opportunity ever again.
It's funny you say they have terrible business ethic whereas going back and reanimating DB would just be that it would be a waste of resources and isn't needed plus with Super and it's gigantic success they'd be also completing with themselves which would not be smart at all...
As long as there's money to be made the option will always be on the table, Dragon Ball Z is one of the most popular shows in pop culture history, the market will always be there. Whether it be Japanese or the International market, a newly animated Dragon Ball Z would open the door to wealth of new fans. Even for those who have already watched DBZ before, it would be a totally new experience as the JUMP in visual fidelity is worth the watch alone if particularly done right. Take the DBZ:Ultimate Tenkaichi opening as a illustration of a reanimated DBZ product done right or decently enough; consistent art, all new good soundtrack, occasionally well directed episodes, and a good amount nicely animated scenes here and there; not One Punch Man quality, but overall nicely animated on a least the key parts of the story.

Furthermore, I don't see how they would be competing against themselves its all made under the same banner, the money will be theirs regardless. It's like saying Toei can't make a new anime series, since it will be competeing against their other series. In essence it will, but Toei will make sure each one of their anime properties will build and support off each other, like how they did with Battle of Gods pre-sale collaboration with the One Piece Film Z.Additionally, there poor business ethic has been well documented current example; Dragon Ball Super, prior expamples; Toriko, One Piece, Dragon Ball Kai and Kai 2.0, and World Trigger, etc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 pm

a newly animated Dragon Ball Z would open the door to wealth of new fans
Isn't that what Kai was designed to do?

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Yes, but it was a poorly received product mostly justifiably so. You reap, what you sow, and Kai was nothing more than a soulless cash grab, I feel a well done reanimated DBZ product for a new generation of fans would have an much more of positive reception and lasting impact.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:22 pm

I'd rather they reanimate OG Dragonball.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 am

I think a true remake of the entrie manga should've happened a long time ago but what we ended up getting was a remaster that not only didn't cover the 1st third of the story but for awhile not even the final part of the story they did decide to cover.

In order for Toei to do it then they'd have to stop the new material which not only they won't do but fans probably won't want.

If they could do it they'd produce it like the current material which most won't like so the only way to satisfy people will be to pay another company to do it.

DB's popularity comes from Z so if by any small chance they do find someone who can produce it right, they won't cover the whole manga due to fear of people not being interested in Goku's younger days.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 am

I feel like the only way it could happen is if we got movie retellings of past Dragon Ball arcs. Kinda like how Path to Power was a retelling of early Dragon Ball arcs with GT's art style.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 am

I doubt we'll ever get an Otaku-aimed series that is produced like a seasonal anime of one or two cours at a time. Dragon Ball appeals too much to a mainstream crowd to get anything but the usual poor, low-level productions of long-running series like Dragon Ball so far has received. It's a shame, because even at a relatively strict adherence to the comic a series could potentially cover all of the 519 chapters of the comic in only 160 half-hour episodes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:21 am

KBABZ wrote:

Common misconception, Kai was successful in the ratings, but failed in merchandise.

However yes, Kai did bring in a new generation of fans.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:13 am

I have this feeling that it actually might happen in the not that distant future, but not like I expect most people would want it to happen. I can't help but think that TOEI is intending to slowly move towards CG completely, what with KADO and the newly announced Saint Seiya remake.

I'm not as opposed to the idea as I once was, KADO seemed like a good first step in that direction. Haven't finished it, but from what I've seen, it didn't look bad. Granted, it wasn't an action show, and that's something they'll need to be good at for DB, but still.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 am

MR.Mark wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Common misconception, Kai was successful in the ratings, but failed in merchandise.

However yes, Kai did bring in a new generation of fans.
Well I didn't say it was successful at it...!

I can actually count myself among those fans. While I have always had a love for DB, it was Kai that got me properly immersed in the Z era content.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:20 am

No I agree, it did the more important job, though not from a business standpoint.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 am

I don't think reanimated version of Dragon Ball would serve any appropriate purpose. The original anime exists and their animation is still holds up well is most areas.