Worst post-revival retcon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Imperade

Re: Worst post-revival retcon?

Post by Imperade » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 am

I always took the "28 planets" to mean 28 planets with life that could be capable of fighting or being trained.

A planet full of wild animals or peaceful beings with no combat potential just isn't worth mentioning.

I don't have the text or translations in front of me though.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 am

Trunks and Goten lack of aging or getting taller one inch in like 5+ years is both odd and disturbing. Especially since in EOZ they both look like adults.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 am

DB Minus, the whole 28 planet thing, but I'd also like to add the namekians not being the original creators of the dragon balls in there too.

And one more thing, though I don't know if this counts as a retcon: Bulma having a sister. That was never mentioned before. I mean I would've been fine with it if they had at least shown Vegeta not being surprised by it, indicating that Tights had been at least mentioned at some point, but no.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 am

Goku's origin story thats basically the only one that has any meaningful offense.

Beerus telling Freeza to destroy doesn't undermine Freeza because the cell saga already did that plus Goku and Vegeta don't know that and they didn't eve care when they did.

The vegito time limit isn't bad either because Vegito was plot device nothing more.

Trunks' blue hair isn't a retcon but an inconsistency.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:12 am

Totamo wrote:Goku's origin story thats basically the only one that has any meaningful offense.

Beerus telling Freeza to destroy doesn't undermine Freeza because the cell saga already did that plus Goku and Vegeta don't know that and they didn't eve care when they did.

The vegito time limit isn't bad either because Vegito was plot device nothing more.

So it's fine that they undermine him some more? Regardless, it completely changes Freeza's character and his motives, but not for the better.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am

ABED wrote:So it's fine that they undermine him some more? Regardless, it completely changes Freeza's character and his motives, but not for the better.
Wonder if they did that because they planned from the beginning to bring Freeza back and keep him around as the new-bad-guy-but-on-our-side, and him not actually being fully responsible for the destruction of Vegeta's race makes it less difficult.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Michsi wrote:And one more thing, though I don't know if this counts as a retcon: Bulma having a sister. That was never mentioned before. I mean I would've been fine with it if they had at least shown Vegeta not being surprised by it, indicating that Tights had been at least mentioned at some point, but no.
No, I don't think that counts. "Retcon" is the idea of acknowledging a previous information and changing it. For example:

• Although it was said in the manga that Bibidi created Buu, the truth is that he did not create him.
• Although it was said in Dragon Ball Super manga that Vegetto defused due to Super Buu's bad air, the truth is that he did not defuse because of that.

A revelation is not a retcon, that's why Bardock being alive, Vegeta and Bulma having siblings and stuff like that aren't considered "retcon". In Bardock's case, there's a fine line that differentiates the retcon from the revelation. It was said in the manga that "Bardock died", but that was from the viewer's perspective (it was the narrator who said it). If Mira appeared to save him or anything else happened to him that saved his life, the characters (Raditz, Vegeta...) assumed he died because he was never seen after the tragic event, they couldn't confirm if Bardock was really dead or not, so if Bardock appears nowadays as a Time Breaker, for instance, it'll be a revelation, which is the same case as revealing that someone has a sibling (I believe the term "plot twist" also fits here).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Totamo wrote:Goku's origin story thats basically the only one that has any meaningful offense.

So it's fine that they undermine him some more? Regardless, it completely changes Freeza's character and his motives, but not for the better.
Yes, because there is nothing left to undermine. If you are going to tell me that Freeza blowing up planet namek because he was told to, is somehow worse than him being outclassed by cyborgs built on a planet with far less advanced technology than we have different views on what made him great in the first place.

and what motives? Freeza did not need a motive to destroy people, he killed the namekians for no reason and he said from the beginning that he was going to do that. Thats what make him so much fun. He just doesn't care. He is the best example of evil for the sake of being evil.

Besides, we all know Goku and Vegeta never cared that he destroyed the planet nor why. Vegeta was more upset about his pride on having to work for him and Goku agreed that they deserved to die.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, because there is nothing left to undermine. If you are going to tell me that Freeza blowing up planet namek because he was told to, is somehow worse than him being outclassed by cyborgs built on a planet with far less advanced technology than we have different views on what made him great in the first place.
I will grant you the cyborgs being stronger doesn't make sense, but it doesn't undermine Freeza anymore than any other subsequent big bad does. I'm at a loss because are you implying being the strongest is what made him a great villain? Freeza's personality and his connection to the Saiyans is what made him interesting. Despite being as strong as he was, in the original inception, he killed the Saiyans because he feared one of them would rise up. That gives a very interesting layer to Freeza. Making him subservient to a stronger being takes that all away.
and what motives? Freeza did not need a motive to destroy people, he killed the namekians for no reason and he said from the beginning that he was going to do that. Thats what make him so much fun. He just doesn't care. He is the best example of evil for the sake of being evil.
I dont' think you understand what motives are. We know what is motivating Freeza in that arc - holding onto power through immortality. That's why he wants the DB's. Yes, he's pure evil, but he has desires beyond just doing evil. If what makes him so great is that he doesn't care, then he's no different than any Saturday morning cartoon villain.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 pm

The only real retcon that kind of bugged me is more with the manga when Gowasu mentioned the first time ring came from universe 12. That just seemed like it complicated things a bit. Also, it takes away a bit of the consequence that Trunks was the first one to violate the time travel laws. I mean he still caused the most timelines but it just seemed a bit out of place. I do hope they explore that in future arcs.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm

I have another one: Planet Sized Dragonballs. I never saw the original episodes for the Super Dragonballs until just now on the Toonami airing. Upon seeing them I thought. "This is stupid as hell."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:43 am

Totamo wrote:
No, it's a retcon. When Trunks arrived back in the time machine the first time, kid Trunks came to warn her with something like "mom there's a guy in what looks like a time machine. it just appeared outta thin air, and he's unconscious."

Bulma responds with "Does he have blue hair??"

Which is a retcon because they're acting like his hair was always that way, when it wasn't.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
No, it's a retcon. When Trunks arrived back in the time machine the first time, kid Trunks came to warn her with something like "mom there's a guy in what looks like a time machine. it just appeared outta thin air, and he's unconscious."

Which is a retcon because they're acting like his hair was always that way, when it wasn't.
No its an inconsistency because this is not the first time toriyama has given trunks blue hair, there was even one point when it was red hair.

For it to be a retcon, they would have to go to the Cell saga scenes and give him blue hair.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:19 am

Totamo wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Totamo wrote:

No its an inconsistency because this is not the first time toriyama has given trunks blue hair, there was even one point when it was red hair.

For it to be a retcon, they would have to go to the Cell saga scenes and give him blue hair.
I recall a reanimated flashback with him having blue hair from the History of Trunks when he first went SSJ. Also, the limited color pages of the manga shouldn't be counted as inconsistencies.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 am

FoolsGil wrote:I have another one: Planet Sized Dragonballs. I never saw the original episodes for the Super Dragonballs until just now on the Toonami airing. Upon seeing them I thought. "This is stupid as hell."
How is that a retcon? Those are Super DBs not normal ones or Namekian ones.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am

emperior wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I have another one: Planet Sized Dragonballs. I never saw the original episodes for the Super Dragonballs until just now on the Toonami airing. Upon seeing them I thought. "This is stupid as hell."
How is that a retcon? Those are Super DBs not normal ones or Namekian ones.
The retcon is that they suddenly exist, and that they are the original dragonballs and Namekians aren't really that special, but the thing I hate the most about this, is that they are planet sized dragonballs. Just looking at these huge things and they even have the stars on them...If they were just bigger than the Namekian ones but smaller than a damn planet, I wouldn't mind them. But now seeing them, I hate them completely.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am

ABED wrote:I will grant you the cyborgs being stronger doesn't make sense, but it doesn't undermine Freeza anymore than any other subsequent big bad does.
Null and void, ABED. Freeza just needed to put in a few weeks of training to go way passed the cyborgs in strength. :P

But then, Super allowed for #17 to do the same thing too, apparently. :/

Kidding aside, I was always conflicted about how the artificial humans strength was so great, but then I had to take into consideration that some crazy man-made stuff exists on our Earth that seems unimaginable (and potentially very dangerous). As an example, check out the deep underground Large Hadron Super Collider, which is based in Switzerland (the latest advancement after about 35 years since the first documented collider). Some alleged things such as opening parallel universes or portals to "demonic realms" are claimed to have been made a reality by this artificial creation... and who knows what else its capable of, or will be capable of. There are a ton of things on this planet made possible through "mad science" not widely known by the public that are of great concern.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Totamo wrote: Yes, because there is nothing left to undermine. If you are going to tell me that Freeza blowing up planet namek because he was told to, is somehow worse than him being outclassed by cyborgs built on a planet with far less advanced technology than we have different views on what made him great in the first place.

Besides, we all know Goku and Vegeta never cared that he destroyed the planet nor why. Vegeta was more upset about his pride on having to work for him and Goku agreed that they deserved to die.
Vegeta definitely did care about the planet being destroyed. He literally cried while telling Goku about it.

This can definitely be seen as a negative retcon if you don't want Beerus to secretly be the catalyst of the entire Freeza-Saiyan conflict. Plus, one of the things that makes Freeza such an important villain is that destroying Planet Vegeta allowed for Goku to be forgotten about and for the story of Dragon Ball to even happen. Suddenly, Freeza is less important if you find out that was by Beerus's orders.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 pm

funrush wrote:
Totamo wrote: Yes, because there is nothing left to undermine. If you are going to tell me that Freeza blowing up planet namek because he was told to, is somehow worse than him being outclassed by cyborgs built on a planet with far less advanced technology than we have different views on what made him great in the first place.

Vegeta definitely did care about the planet being destroyed. He literally cried while telling Goku about it.

This can definitely be seen as a negative retcon if you don't want Beerus to secretly be the catalyst of the entire Freeza-Saiyan conflict. Plus, one of the things that makes Freeza such an important villain is that destroying Planet Vegeta allowed for Goku to be forgotten about and for the story of Dragon Ball to even happen. Suddenly, Freeza is less important if you find out that was by Beerus's orders.
Vegeta didn't cry because Planet Vegeta was destroyed When Dodoria tells him that Freeza really did it, he laughed and said he didn't care.

Vegeta cried because he was forced to beg Goku and do what Freeza wanted which hurt his saiyan pride. thats it. Vegeta literally killed nappa because he was useless. He didn't care about his race. He cared about their pride as warriors.

The retcon doesn't change that Freeza destroyed planet vegeta, it just changes why.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Totamo wrote:
funrush wrote:

Vegeta didn't cry because Planet Vegeta was destroyed When Dodoria tells him that Freeza really did it, he laughed and said he didn't care.

Vegeta cried because he was forced to beg Goku and do what Freeza wanted which hurt his saiyan pride. thats it. Vegeta literally killed nappa because he was useless. He didn't care about his race. He cared about their pride as warriors.

The retcon doesn't change that Freeza destroyed planet vegeta, it just changes why.
Or just adds one more thing to a very long list of reasons to whip out the filthy monkeys?