The Most "Canon" Way to Experience the Main Dragon Ball Storyline?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

The Most "Canon" Way to Experience the Main Dragon Ball Storyline?

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm

There has been numerous discussions within what is or what isn't canon within Dragon Ball. As for me, this is how I view the true canon storyline of Dragon Ball, or how I see and think of Toriyama's main product(s) in chronological order story wise:

1st. Jaco the Space Patrolman & Dragon Ball Minus
- Gives the origin of Jaco/Tights as well as our first appearances of Bardock, Gine, and Goku so far. DBM also contradicts any anime appearance of Grandpa Gohan first meeting Goku in the forest because Goku is supposed to be 3 years old, and is also supposed to have Saiyan armor present with him. DBM also contradicts some of the anime's Bardock the Father of Goku special.

2nd. The Dragon Ball manga (pre Peaceful World Saga)
- All Toriyama, isn't contradicted by anything (or almost anything) from DBM/Jaco, and is full on canon.

3rd. The Dragon Ball Super manga (BoG Saga)
- Now, I would have said the BoG movie, but because BoG has been shifted from Z to Super, as well as a few changes which differ from the movie, I feel as though the manga's iteration is the most updated and the best version that we have of the BoG saga. Toriyama also supervises Toyotaro's manga and approves things, and even makes his own additions as well, so I consider the manga more "canon" as opposed to the anime because we have proof that Toriyama does work for the manga with Toyo, as opposed to the anime which I beleive is all just Toei working off of Toriyama's vague outlines.

4th. Resurrection 'F' (movie)
- Written all from Toriyama, only referenced in Super's manga so far, and Toyotaro's promotional manga hasn't been fully completed and/or released yet. I would have said the anime's iteration of it, but we do not know if it's changes (like Gotenks' and Ginyu's additions) were changes like what happened with Super's BoG saga for both the anime and manga (Bulma's party now on a cruise and/or Goku and Beerus' shockwave battle) or if it was just all Toei.

5th. The Dragon Ball Super manga (Universe 6 Saga to pre Peaceful World Saga)
- Toriyama supervises Toyotaro's manga, approves things, and even makes his own additions as well, so I consider the manga more "canon" as opposed to the anime because we have proof that Toriyama does work for the manga with Toyo, as opposed to the anime which I beleive is all just Toei working off of Toriyama's vague outlines.

6th. The Dragon Ball Manga (Peaceful World Saga)
- All Toriyama, isn't contradicted by anything (or almost anything) from DBM/Jaco, and is full on canon.

7th. The Dragon Ball Super manga (Peaceful World Saga and beyond)
- Toriyama supervises Toyotaro's manga and approves things, and even makes his own additions as well, so I consider the manga more "canon" as opposed to the anime because we have proof that Toriyama does work for the manga with Toyo, as opposed to the anime which I beleive is all just Toei working off of Toriyama's vague outlines.

So that's my list for the definitive way to experience Dragon Ball's main storyline. What do you all think?
Last edited by superfan2024 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Duo
I Live Here

Re: The Most "Canon" Way to Experience the Main Dragon Ball Storyline?

Post by Duo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:17 pm

I think the subject has generally been abused and argued so much that I've found myself pretty relaxed about the entire matter, and I that has enriched my enjoyment of new material.

That said, if I had to choose, your selection pretty much covers it. I would happily toss out DB- in favor of the Bardock Special, and Movie 9 will always be OK in my book. I don't have a preference regarding BoG between the movie and manga (just not the anime).

But hey, it's not a big deal if people want to try to reconcile GT or favor the Super anime. Super having two wildly different versions should encourage fans not to stress so hard about it, rather than hating on one or the other.

Also, the Kikuchi score is absolutely canon. Probably the only thing besides the original Manga that is unquestionably perfect.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

superfan2024 wrote:1st. Jaco the Space Patrolman & Dragon Ball Minus
- Gives the origin of Jaco/Tights as well as our first appearances of Bardock, Gine, and Goku so far. DBM also contradicts any anime appearance of Grandpa Gohan first meeting Goku in the forest because Goku is supposed to be 3 years old, and is also supposed to have Saiyan armor present with him. DBM also contradicts some of the anime's Bardock the Father of Goku special.
Bardock's first appearance in the manga was in chapter 307, released in 1991. Dragon Ball Minus marks his second appearance in a canonical manga. Also, Jaco, The Galactic Patrolman brings Bulma's age "contradiction" (according to it, Bulma was born in AGE 734). But since it's a difference by only one year, we can "fix" that by placing Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman before Bulma's birthday.
superfan2024 wrote:3rd. The Dragon Ball Super manga (BoG arc)
- Now, I would have said the BoG movie, but because BoG has been shifted from Z to Super, as well as a few changes which differ from the movie, I feel as though the manga's iteration is the most updated and the best version that we have of the BoG arc. Toriyama also supervises Toyotaro's manga and approves things, and even makes his own additions as well, so I consider the manga more "canon" as opposed to the anime because we have proof that Toriyama does work for the manga with Toyo, as opposed to the anime which I beleive is all just Toei working off of Toriyama's vague outlines.

4th. The Resurrection 'F' movie
- Written all from Toriyama, only referenced in Super's manga so far, and Toyotaro's promotional manga hasn't been fully completed and/or released yet. I would have said the anime's iteration of it, but we do not know if it's changes (like Gotenks' and Ginyu's additions) were changes like what happened with Super's BoG arc or if it was just all Toei.
Still, we do not have information that Toriyama was involved with any of the retellings, Toei's or Toyotaro's. As far as we can tell, both of them adapted the stories directly from the movies (Toei for sure, as we have confirmation for that). There are three continuities here: the Movies/Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro. One can choose which one to follow.
superfan2024 wrote:5th. The Dragon Ball Super manga (post BoG arc to pre EoZ arc)
- Toriyama supervises Toyotaro's manga, approves things, and even makes his own additions as well, so I consider the manga more "canon" as opposed to the anime because we have proof that Toriyama does work for the manga with Toyo, as opposed to the anime which I beleive is all just Toei working off of Toriyama's vague outlines.
As mentioned above, there are three continuities. Each one of them follow their own rules, logic. That said, I don't think there's such thing as "more canon" (canonical is the right word, it's an adjective). It's more of a matter of opinion, a decision of which of these continuities to follow.
superfan2024 wrote:So that's my list for the difinitive way to experience Dragon Ball's main storyline. What do you all think?
I primarily experience the Dragon Ball Toriyama has to offer, so everything he does/has a certain degree of involvement I consider canonical. That includes: Dragon Ball Minus, Jaco, The Galactic Patrolman; the manga; Tarble's OVA; Movie 14; Movie 15; Universe 6 saga; Future Trunks saga; Universe Survival saga and Dragon Ball Online.
Last edited by Grimlock on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Dragon Ball anime :
Pilaf arc : 1-13
21st Tenkaichi arc : 14-29
Red Ribbon army arc : 34-78
22nd Tenkaichi arc : 84-101
King Piccolo arc : 102-126
23rd Tenkaichi arc : 133-148

Dragon Ball Kai anime :
Saiyan arc : 1-18
Namek arc : 19-54
Bardock the Father of Goku special
Androids arc : 55-98
The History of Trunks special
Majin Buu arc : 99-164 (minus 101)

Modern stories :
Goku and His friends return OVA
Battle Of Gods movie
Resurrection F movie
Champa's arc : chapters 5-13 of Super's manga
Zamasu's arc : chapters 14-26
Multiverse tournament arc : chapters 27-ongoing
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Dragon Ball Super's anime is the main product and Toriyama also supervises it, so I don't get where the notion that the manga is more canonical comes from. Technically both are canonical, but the anime is the main thing, as it's ahead of the manga and the merchandise and videogames are being based from it and not the manga, so I would personally consider the anime as the (main) continuation of the original manga. Even though the manga is obviously closer in format to the original manga, and it doesn't have the "filler" the anime has; there's no downtime between a main story and another.

So the "true canon" would be:
Jaco -> Minus -> Dragon Ball -> Super (Anime or Manga)
Although a "purist" might disregard Super as completely canonical, as not every single thing comes from the original author himself. But does it even matter, as long as Toriyama supervises the whole thing?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:00 pm

The Documents. If that can't be managed, then learn Japanese and read all 519 chapters as serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Zephyr wrote:Learn Japanese and read all 519 chapters as serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump.
Or in the Kanzenban as that's Toriyama's complete edition of it. You're also forgetting the Trunks chapter which was also in jump.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 pm

When it comes to "canon", with the word canon being interpreted as "the closest thing to Toriyama's take on the story", the default should always be to a product he had direct writing influence in. That boils down to the manga and special chapters like Trunk's story or DB-, or the Super anime and the last two DBZ films. With that in mind the logical answer for manga-bias is all Chapters of Dragon Ball plus DB- and Jaco, preferably in Japanese, before moving on to BoG and RoF and on to Super (skipping the movie retread episodes, maybe?).

When it comes to the anime you should start with Dragon Ball of course and either skip the pure filler episodes like the Wedding Dress arc, or watch something like Dragon Ball Recut. From there you either watch DBZ and skip filler episodes if you're watching in Japanese, or watch Kai if your preference is a dub, before again moving on to BoG and RoF and then Super.

---

Personally, I always felt that the manga and anime were two different takes on the same story, with the original run films being so different that they have to be put into a third continuity to avoid snarl snapping the timeline in half.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Learn Japanese and read all 519 chapters as serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump.
Or in the Kanzenban as that's Toriyama's complete edition of it. You're also forgetting the Trunks chapter which was also in jump.
I'll take the Trunks chapter, but the Kanzenban is derivative revisionist history! Less canon!

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Grimlock wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:1st. Jaco the Space Patrolman & Dragon Ball Minus
Bardock's first appearance in the manga was in chapter 307, released in 1991. Dragon Ball Minus marks his second appearance in a canonical manga. Also, Jaco, The Galactic Patrolman brings Bulma's age "contradiction" (according to it, Bulma was born in AGE 734). But since it's a difference by only one year, we can "fix" that by placing Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman before Bulma's birthday.
I'm not talking about the first time viewers have seen Bardock in a manga, i'm talking about the first time we've seen Bardock story wise. DBM was Bardock's first appearance chronologically in the Dragon Ball story.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 pm

emperior wrote:Dragon Ball Super's anime is the main product and Toriyama also supervises it, so I don't get where the notion that the manga is more canonical comes from. Technically both are canonical, but the anime is the main thing, as it's ahead of the manga and the merchandise and videogames are being based from it and not the manga, so I would personally consider the anime as the (main) continuation of the original manga. Even though the manga is obviously closer in format to the original manga, and it doesn't have the "filler" the anime has; there's no downtime between a main story and another.

So the "true canon" would be:
Jaco -> Minus -> Dragon Ball -> Super (Anime or Manga)
Although a "purist" might disregard Super as completely canonical, as not every single thing comes from the original author himself. But does it even matter, as long as Toriyama supervises the whole thing?
May you please give proof of Toriyama supervising the anime? Sure, he may approve of Toei's decisions based off of Toriyama's outlines, but I believe that the only supervising that Toriyama actually does is on the manga. He even physically storyboards and makes edits on Toyotaro's work occasionally as well. That's why I believe that the manga is more "canon" than the anime, even though they both follow the same story but with different executions. Even if the anime is the "main" storyline, the manga uses Toriyama's work more than the anime does.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:13 pm

One could view that each version has its own canon - the anime and the manga.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:20 pm

ABED wrote:One could view that each version has its own canon - the anime and the manga.
True, but i'm aiming for the Dragon Ball story that is closest to Toriyama's original versions and intentions. And I believe that that version mostly corresponds to my list.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:56 pm

ABED wrote:One could view that each version has its own canon - the anime and the manga.
Honestly that's how I've seen it working from the start. The manga is the core and "original" continuity, with the anime being a closely related but ultimately different and divergent one with the way its filler adds things to the story. It helps a lot with things like the different tellings of Bardock sending Goku away. I also like to put the movies in a third continuity simply because of how some of them really screw with the Timeline of things.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am

You shouldn't go by canon, because the definition of it is fickle, but only among people. Try to go by theme instead. Do you want to experience Dragon Ball as it was in the 90s?
  1. Dragon Ball Anime -> Dragon Ball Movies 1-3
  2. Dragon Ball Z <-> Dragon Ball Z Movies 1-13, TV Specials
  3. Dragon Ball GT -> TV Special, 10th Anniversary Movie
The two sided arrow means that you should watch them back to back by order of release. It's always better to know things as they were influenced by their time. You will have avoided production inconsistency that way.