Dragon Ball Wiki Not That Bad?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Wiki Not That Bad?

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

Cipher wrote:Of course the Dragon Ball Wiki's not that bad. It's based on The Documents.
I sincerely hope that page is supposed to be a joke.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am

It's a bad wiki, because it fails on ever level. It doesn't work as Dragon Ball wiki, it doesn't work as a Funi wiki, and it doesn't work as a wiki generally. It's just a bad site.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am

I appreciate their character and attack list. I feel like it's a great resource -- not on its own, but for a complete list including the Japanese spelling, it's great. The only thing that aggravates me about the character list, is that they included a bunch of Dragon Ball Fusion characters, which is pretty unnecessary to me.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it's okay but shouldn't be your first stop for information.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Cipher wrote:Of course the Dragon Ball Wiki's not that bad. It's based on The Documents.
Hahahaha, that's actually a page?! Well, that tells you all you need to know right there!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Holy shit, this reads like an 8 year old wrote it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm

It has a lot of good information. Problem is it also has a lot of bad information and you wouldn't know which is which unless you already knew it or researched all of it, which kind of defeats the purpose. Though technically you should always check your sources, so no wiki should ever be the only place you check.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I remember an unsubstantiated piece of trivia that Piccolo was supposed to be the one to go 'Majin' not Vegeta.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm assuming that's something fans made up?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:I remember an unsubstantiated piece of trivia that Piccolo was supposed to be the one to go 'Majin' not Vegeta.
Isn't that actually true though? I heard that Vegeta went Majin so he could face off with Goku again.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
Krillin1994 wrote:I remember an unsubstantiated piece of trivia that Piccolo was supposed to be the one to go 'Majin' not Vegeta.
Isn't that actually true though? I heard that Vegeta went Majin so he could face off with Goku again.
I've never seen any source for it, I think I asked before but got nothing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
I've never seen any source for it, I think I asked before but got nothing.
That's the Dragon Ball wiki for ya: Takes the credit but none of the responsibility.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I want to say that rumor started from Piccolo being the one to become a Majin in Supersonic Warriors (or was it Supersonic Warriors 2), but I'm pretty sure that's all it was, just a rumor.

As far as the DB Wiki goes, I use it extremely sparingly, and then only if 1) it's something that I actually can't find out from the site here, and/or 2) it's something incredibly mundane that doesn't deal with in-universe stuff (usually) so it's less likely to have had random crap made up for it. I try to also make sure it's something that doesn't matter as much if I have it right or wrong since there's at least an 80% chance it'll be wrong.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:Just want to add an extra "reasons this Wiki prolly sucks" entry to the compendium: I'm browsing the wikia, and among the headcanon-y crap that plagues a lot of articles, I see something odd on Abo's page: "Abo and Kado have a power level of around 530,000".
Source, not a link but this phrase: "When Tarble refers to Frieza in the manga version of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, an image of first form Frieza is shown. Also, there is no way Tarble would have known about Frieza's transformations".

Leaving aside the very non-journalistic claim at the end (which I also share as a personal view, ironically: I mean, it makes sense! It's just, y'know, completely unsourced), as someone who read the manga I didn't remember anything similar, so yeah, I go and re-read it all (page 36 of Volume 1 would be the actual source and proper way to credit the source, by the way) and I find out no image of Freeza, just an image of the Ginyu squad... because, well, Abo and Kabo are described as fellow warriors with similar power levels. Back before they had reached some undetermined "Freeza level".

So I confidently edit, giving a reason and the source of the original image in the description; guess what? Silently rollbacked in totum with no warning or explanation given. By no one less than the administrator of the entire wikia. Since the same guy actually rollbacked everything I had changed, I honestly got a little pissed and confronted him on his Talk Page with a little, pissy rant on the the wiki's standards. Very curious as to how he will answer, as I honestly sensed some faint, malicious "politicalness" in the behavior (especially given that I had left a source of the page in the page history). Gonna update when he gets back to me.
10x Kamehameha? Yeah, good luck with that. He's not exactly eager to admit when he's wrong, which is an awful lot. Even if it means attempting to explain to a Japanese person how their own language works,
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I've also always felt that the way the wiki makes every little thing a unique move to be rather ludicrous, especially when it starts borrowing attack moves from the games. For example, to me the "Father-Son Kamehameha" is not distinct from a normal Kamehameha because the only thing separating the two is the motivation and emotional support. I get that it'd be notable and called out, but it doesn't warrant its own section! And don't even get me started on when the two mix and you get stuff like "10x Kaio-Ken Super Family Kamehameha World 3D Advance Land".

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Funnily enough I was actually made an Admin on that wiki a few days ago.

I've spent a few years on there trying to correct mistakes and expand on things to try and make it more factual and accurate I suppose. So unbeknownst to myself I was made admin because of my "dedicated efforts" towards it.

Sure it has a lot of errors and problems on there, there are over 7,000 pages after all and it is a very popular site. If there's anything you might notice though you could always let me know and I will do what I can to try and fix the issue. I'm only one person so obviously I can't check every single thing on there.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

You're our man on the inside! :lol:

EDIT: Neffyarious? Oh god, that sounds like a Ratchet & Clank fan. The Ratchet wiki is almost as bad as the Dragon Ball wiki (lies, assumptions, broken mod hierarchy, etc). Ugh.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 pm

HAHAHA! So, that's where you got that from, then. :mrgreen: :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:You're our man on the inside! :lol:

EDIT: Neffyarious? Oh god, that sounds like a Ratchet & Clank fan. The Ratchet wiki is almost as bad as the Dragon Ball wiki (lies, assumptions, broken mod hierarchy, etc). Ugh.
I could well be lol.

Issues that I have seen people on here mention about the wiki before I have actually gone and corrected. I've also used Herms History of Ever thread to fix up the many mistakes that were on the Timeline page, amongst other things.

As for Neffyarious, I know that he uses this site, I don't know which user he is but he has used a lot of the information on the Video Game subsection to add information to the whole Super Dragon Ball Heroes area on the wiki.

Edit: And yes that "The Documents" page appears to be a load of nonsense with the one reference linking to a deleted YouTube channel. The page was written by a user who only used the wiki for one day and never since. So I will see about having that page deleted.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am

Bullza wrote:Issues that I have seen people on here mention about the wiki before I have actually gone and corrected. I've also used Herms History of Ever thread to fix up the many mistakes that were on the Timeline page, amongst other things.

As for Neffyarious, I know that he uses this site, I don't know which user he is but he has used a lot of the information on the Video Game subsection to add information to the whole Super Dragon Ball Heroes area on the wiki.

Edit: And yes that "The Documents" page appears to be a load of nonsense with the one reference linking to a deleted YouTube channel. The page was written by a user who only used the wiki for one day and never since. So I will see about having that page deleted.
You're doing Kami's work there, man!