Introducing Somebody New To Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Introducing Somebody New To Dragon Ball

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 am

shadowmaria wrote:Hi everybody!

Thanks for all your input.

My friend has started watching Dragon Ball, and gotten through all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball so far.

He's watching the blue, FUNimation blocks in English (he hates subtitles and does not wish to read the manga or watch it in Japanese).

Next he'll be onto the four Dragon Ball movies, which I've already told him are non-canon

Then we'll move to Dead Zone, followed by the FUNimation orange blocks with the movies sprinkled in roughly where they would take place. Bardock would be after Frieza's true obliteration of Vegeta is revealed, and Trunks after the #17 and #18 reveal.

Then we'll move into BOG/ResF, then GT, including A Hero's Legacy, and then go back and watch all of Super

Super is happening last to allow as much of the dub to be released as absolutely possible.
Watching DBZ in English is a waste of time. I would rather recommend the Kai dub, if your friend likes to watch only in English.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
If your watching in English why wouldn't you show him Kai? Just skip the opening with Bardock to avoid spoilers.
A couple of reasons;

1. I don't own Kai
2. He wants to watch the anime as originally produced in the 80's and 90's
Fair enough I guess, will you watch with Kikuchi.

I don't really get the mindset behind your second point If he's not watching the Japanese version. :think:
100% agreed, he'll be missing out on a lot of accuracy too if he watches the OG English dub. If he was really dedicated to this he wouldn't mind reading subtitles :lol:

Maybe explain to him the drastic changes Funi made to DBZ? It's not too late to switch, Dragon Ball's dub was nowhere near as bad as Z's

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 am

Kaboom wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Personally I find it a bit strange that Kai is completely inaccessible. Is it not even available on any streaming services?
Funimation would almost certainly have it for streaming, but most likely requiring a subscription.
Nope, it's not available at all for streaming. I had a subscription and there is no Kai

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
A couple of reasons;

1. I don't own Kai
2. He wants to watch the anime as originally produced in the 80's and 90's

I don't really get the mindset behind your second point If he's not watching the Japanese version. :think:
100% agreed, he'll be missing out on a lot of accuracy too if he watches the OG English dub. If he was really dedicated to this he wouldn't mind reading subtitles :lol:

Maybe explain to him the drastic changes Funi made to DBZ? It's not too late to switch, Dragon Ball's dub was nowhere near as bad as Z's
I've watched the series a number of times in various ways, done a lot of research, and read the manga; strictly speaking, there aren't a lot of drastic changes between the bricks dub and the original. Character names and moves are named differently, and dubisms are certainly present (as to be expected in any dub), but the core story is there

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

I've watched the series a number of times in various ways, done a lot of research, and read the manga; strictly speaking, there aren't a lot of drastic changes between the bricks dub and the original. Character names and moves are named differently, and dubisms are certainly present (as to be expected in any dub), but the core story is there
The core of the story may be there, but you can't say same for the core of a few characters. (Not trying to hate)
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Forte224 wrote: 100% agreed, he'll be missing out on a lot of accuracy too if he watches the OG English dub. If he was really dedicated to this he wouldn't mind reading subtitles :lol:

The core of the story may be there, but you can't say same for the core of a few characters. (Not trying to hate)
Legitimately curious, which characters?

Because my partner has also only watched the Brick's, and not read the manga; and perfectly understands the characters as they were presented by Toriyama

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

Because my partner has also only watched the Brick's, and not read the manga; and perfectly understands the characters as they were presented by Toriyama
Goku in particular is portrayed as far too heroic. If he's only watched the OG English dub then he doesn't really understand the characters as they are presented by Toriyama. Well, maybe through the Blue Bricks but once you get into Goku's hero speeches from Freeza-Cell arcs it'll be a different story

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Goku's heroism tends to be the big one. While he was always wanting to do the right thing (see: Bora's death), the dub shifts it even further to portray him as basically a Superman analogue (I dunno, maybe it's his origin story?). In actuality Goku's greatest passion is fighting, and many key moments occur simply so that he can fight again, such as sparing Vegeta or Frieza.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Forte224 wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:

Goku in particular is portrayed as far too heroic. If he's only watched the OG English dub then he doesn't really understand the characters as they are presented by Toriyama. Well, maybe through the Blue Bricks but once you get into Goku's hero speeches from Freeza-Cell arcs it'll be a different story
Yep Goku is to heroic in the old dub. I'm curious is vegeta's generic join me speech before he fights goku in the orange brick dub?

My advise to you shadowmaria is to find a way to watch English Kai, your friends better off not seeing it If their first exposure to the Z portion is Funi's old dub. Just my 2 cents

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:My advise to you shadowmaria is to find a way to watch English Kai, your friends better off not seeing it If their first exposure to the Z portion is Funi's old dub. Just my 2 cents
I agree. In this day and age, you should either watch the original Z in Japanese (the Japanese "dub" of Kai is inferior in several ways) or the Kai dub in English (since the Z dub is way off). And it's worth snagging the Kai Blu-Rays for.

Question for others: how compatible is GT to Kai? Does it rely that much on Z or does it work with Kai regardless?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:My advise to you shadowmaria is to find a way to watch English Kai, your friends better off not seeing it If their first exposure to the Z portion is Funi's old dub. Just my 2 cents
I agree. In this day and age, you should either watch the original Z in Japanese (the Japanese "dub" of Kai is inferior in several ways) or the Kai dub in English (since the Z dub is way off). And it's worth snagging the Kai Blu-Rays for.

Question for others: how compatible is GT to Kai? Does it rely that much on Z or does it work with Kai regardless?
I'm not aware of anything that would clash other than hearing Volmer as Bulma again, Youngs Freeza as well. Sabats Vegeta and Piccolo will sound raspier as well.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Question for others: how compatible is GT to Kai? Does it rely that much on Z or does it work with Kai regardless?
I'm not aware of anything that would clash other than hearing Volmer as Bulma again, Youngs Freeza as well. Sabats Vegeta and Piccolo will sound raspier as well.[/quote]
Well it's not like going from DB to Kai doesn't have similar Piccolo changes. I was more thinking in terms of story elements and such, kinda like when Super had Yamcha as a baseball player even though that was cut from Kai (which Super takes flashback footage from, right?).

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am

KBABZ wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Question for others: how compatible is GT to Kai? Does it rely that much on Z or does it work with Kai regardless?
I'm not aware of anything that would clash other than hearing Volmer as Bulma again, Youngs Freeza as well. Sabats Vegeta and Piccolo will sound raspier as well.
Well it's not like going from DB to Kai doesn't have similar Piccolo changes. I was more thinking in terms of story elements and such, kinda like when Super had Yamcha as a baseball player even though that was cut from Kai (which Super takes flashback footage from, right?).[/quote]

My understanding is that GT doesn't contradict Kai

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

Yep Goku is to heroic in the old dub. I'm curious is vegeta's generic join me speech before he fights goku in the orange brick dub?

My advise to you shadowmaria is to find a way to watch English Kai, your friends better off not seeing it If their first exposure to the Z portion is Funi's old dub. Just my 2 cents
I'll throw in 2 cents too. Hate to be so insistent but it's just the worst way he could watch the show, whether you explain it or not. I don't understand why he wants to be on the project if he won't watch the show as it was intended to be viewed, honestly.

But that's the last I'll say on this matter. Promise.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 am

Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Goku in particular is portrayed as far too heroic. If he's only watched the OG English dub then he doesn't really understand the characters as they are presented by Toriyama. Well, maybe through the Blue Bricks but once you get into Goku's hero speeches from Freeza-Cell arcs it'll be a different story

I'll throw in 2 cents too. Hate to be so insistent but it's just the worst way he could watch the show, whether you explain it or not. I don't understand why he wants to be on the project if he won't watch the show as it was intended to be viewed, honestly.

No no, your input is completely valued. As is everyone's. I haven't got heat with anyone here.

As I mentioned in this comment, there's a very specific reason for showing him the original run first. If I can get Kai by the time he finishes it, I intend to show him (if he holds the interest to watch Kai - which I certainly hope he would!!) that between GT and Super. :thumbup:

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Yep Goku is to heroic in the old dub. I'm curious is vegeta's generic join me speech before he fights goku in the orange brick dub?

No no, your input is completely valued. As is everyone's. I haven't got heat with anyone here.

As I mentioned in this comment, there's a very specific reason for showing him the original run first. If I can get Kai by the time he finishes it, I intend to show him (if he holds the interest to watch Kai - which I certainly hope he would!!) that between GT and Super. :thumbup:
And as we all know fans of the toonami dub definitely didn't experience any first exposure bias when they couldn't make the transition to Kai. :roll:

Really you showing your friend funi's first Z dub especially with Faulconer will only make them hate kai because of the huge difference tone wise.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Forte224 wrote: I'll throw in 2 cents too. Hate to be so insistent but it's just the worst way he could watch the show, whether you explain it or not. I don't understand why he wants to be on the project if he won't watch the show as it was intended to be viewed, honestly.

And as we all know fans of the toonami dub definitely didn't experience any first exposure bias when they couldn't make the transition to Kai. :roll:

Really you showing your friend funi's first Z dub especially with Faulconer will only make them hate kai because of the huge difference tone wise.
I haven't rewatched the bricks for a while myself, but I don't think they use Faulconer :wtf:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:22 am

shadowmaria wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

I haven't rewatched the bricks for a while myself, but I don't think they use Faulconer :wtf:
They definitely have Faulconer. By default what's selected is English dub+Kikuchi but Faulconer is in there as the second option. Same with the blu rays

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 am

Forte224 wrote:They definitely have Faulconer. By default what's selected is English dub+Kikuchi but Faulconer is in there as the second option. Same with the blu rays
Oooh, I didn't know that. I just throw the disk in and press MARATHON PLAY (best DVD feature btw), so that's probably why I haven't heard that score in there before. My friend would have been doing the same thing.