The Latin American dub ALMOST had Kuririn and Kame Senin as official

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The Latin American dub ALMOST had Kuririn and Kame Senin as official

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 am

Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Latin American dub ALMOST had Kuririn and Kame Senin as official

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Que bueno, por que esos nombres estan pa la jodida en español
El Conejo Malo

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 pm

As official what? And my Spanish is rusty, so what was that saying?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:20 am

That Kame Sennin and Kuririn would have been the terms that the Latin American dub used to name the characters. While I do like Krillin and Master Roshi, if they had used the Japanese names the Latin American dub could have truly been the most accurate and true western dub.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Super Sonic wrote:As official what? And my Spanish is rusty, so what was that saying?
This is the relevant quote and my translation (I'm paraphrasing a bit because I'm lazy)
[spoiler]
Cuando a Brenda Nava le fue asignada la traducción de la serie tenía contemplado dejar los nombres de los personajes lo más apegados al japonés posible (por ejemplo, Kuririn en el caso de Krilin y Kame Sen'nin en el caso del Maestro Roshi). Sin embargo, el cliente le envió un listado con los nombres de los personajes que llevaban en ese momento y ella tuvo que acatar y dar continuación a esos nombres.
[/spoiler]
When Brenda Nava was tasked with the series translation she wanted to keep characters' names as close to Japanese as posible (for example, Kuririn in Krilin's case and Kame Sen'nin in Master Roshi's). Nevertheless, the client sent a list with the names they were using for the characters at that point and she had to abide and keep those names
This is a wiki though, so, without a source, I don't know where this comes from.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 pm

So did they call him "Master Roshi" in Spanish or "Maestro Roshi"?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Super Sonic wrote:So did they call him "Master Roshi" in Spanish or "Maestro Roshi"?
The second one.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Names that change somewhat from Japanese original in the Intertrack version:

-(Son) Goku. Mostly only "Goku", even when the original is "Son-kun" or something.
-Vegeta (with the pronounced "ge" as in "get")
-Pikoro (with the soft R sound)
-Pikoro Daimaku (misspronounced from the original japanese)
-Krilin
-Maestro Roshi
-Maestro Tsuru
-Milk (Chi-Chi, I think they kept somewhat the joke but in a watered-down version)
-Ox Satán (Gyumaoh, a somewhat accurate translation nevertheless)
-Freezer
-Chaoz (they ommited the "u", already done by some japanese pronunciation I think)
-Maestro Karin (the "sama" bacame "master" somehow)
-Tortuga (Umigame, tortuga means only "turtle", umigame would be "tortuga de mar" in spanish)
-Dr. Maki Gero (IDK where the 『F』 did they got "Maki" as a first name for Gero)
-All Red Ribbon color-named officials got their rank accurately translated to spanish and their color to english ("Comandante Red")
-Jefe Conejo (Toninjinka, "rabbit boss")
-All gods are named in their original japanese names, with some retaining the -sama honorific as part of their names (Kamisama, Kaiosama)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:47 pm

DragonBallLove wrote:Names that change somewhat from Japanese original in the Intertrack version:

-(Son) Goku. Mostly only "Goku", even when the original is "Son-kun" or something.
-Vegeta (with the pronounced "ge" as in "get")
-Pikoro (with the soft R sound)
-Pikoro Daimaku (misspronounced from the original japanese)
-Krilin
-Maestro Roshi
-Maestro Tsuru
-Milk (Chi-Chi, I think they kept somewhat the joke but in a watered-down version)
-Ox Satán (Gyumaoh, a somewhat accurate translation nevertheless)
-Freezer
-Chaoz (they ommited the "u", already done by some japanese pronunciation I think)
-Maestro Karin (the "sama" bacame "master" somehow)
-Tortuga (Umigame, tortuga means only "turtle", umigame would be "tortuga de mar" in spanish)
-Dr. Maki Gero (IDK where the 『F』 did they got "Maki" as a first name for Gero)
-All Red Ribbon color-named officials got their rank accurately translated to spanish and their color to english ("Comandante Red")
-Jefe Conejo (Toninjinka, "rabbit boss")
-All gods are named in their original japanese names, with some retaining the -sama honorific as part of their names (Kamisama, Kaiosama)
Most of those came from either Toei's term list or those chicks that took over the translation during early DBZ. I wonder how the dub would be if Brenda had been allowed to do as she desired.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:41 am

Sorry for double posting, but in this video by Alejandro Graue (Voice actor from Argentina who is a MAJOR Dragon Ball Fan) he opens up some trading card package... and Kame Sennin is the name of the card instead of Master Roshi.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaorfSGBmmP/

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:33 pm

I’m fine with the current names,
Especially for Muten Roshi. The only thing I’d really change from that dub would be Milk to Chichi and Kami to be called God more
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

DragonBallLove wrote: -Pikoro (with the soft R sound)
As a Spanish-speaker, I always thought they went toward the Japanese pronunciation to avoid "Piccolo" sounding close to "Pi-culo".
DragonBallLove wrote:-Milk (Chi-Chi, I think they kept somewhat the joke but in a watered-down version)
Yeah, this was always funny hearing what they called her in Spanish to avoid the obvious vulgar phrase for breasts. Haha.
DragonBallLove wrote:-All gods are named in their original japanese names, with some retaining the -sama honorific as part of their names (Kamisama, Kaiosama)
I bloody hated this crude transliteration in the Latin American script.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 am

Esfír Dedragón wrote:
DragonBallLove wrote:-All gods are named in their original japanese names, with some retaining the -sama honorific as part of their names (Kamisama, Kaiosama)
I hate it too. I always call them Kami and Kaio.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Tian wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:
I hate it too. I always call them Kami and Kaio.
I forgot to ask: Umm... what did they call Mr. Popo in the Latin American dub?
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 am

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I forgot to ask: Umm... what did they call Mr. Popo in the Latin American dub?
Mr. Popo