DB Movies 4 Pack

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Traveller

DB Movies 4 Pack

Post by Traveller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 am

Hey just have a question about the DB movies, I know there are some really old threads, but thought it may be better to just make a fresh one.

Anyway, I'm from Australia and I currently have the Madman DB 3 pack movie box, just wondering if any one knows if the quality difference is big enough to be worth replacing it with the 4 pack or just simply buying the DB movie 1 by itself. I just listened to the latest podcast and it made me realise I still only have the cut extra of the first movie on the first disk of the regular series.

Thanks.

Akira
Regular

Re: DB Movies 4 Pack

Post by Akira » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 am

Keep the Movie 2 from the 3-pack, as the 4-pack version is riddled with frame rate slowdown. You might just be better off buying movie 1 by itself, as the 4 pack is only worthwhile for movie 3 and the Path to Power Special. The movie 2 from the 3-pack is unfortunately still the best version of that movie available. I have both, and had already purchased the uncut movie 1 by itself. I was disappointed with the 4-pack quite a bit. (as an updated movie 2 was my main reason for buying, and it was nearly unwatchable.)
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing you are just talking about the US 3 pack, probably not much of a difference compared to the PAL release.

Yeah, I think I may just grab Movie one on it's own and stick with my PAL copies of the other three, doesn't sound like there's going to be much of a reason to replace the lot.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 pm

The only benefits that the movie 4 pack has over the 3 pack is the 5.1 audio for Movie 2 (the movie 3 pack version isn't a true 5.1mix and also has an audio issue somewhere) and the unobstructed ending to movie 3 (the movie 3 pack version obstructs the right half of the screen with a bluish purple boarder and inserts English credits into said boarder to hide the Japanese credits and FUNi didn't even do a very good job of editing said boarder in at that, it just pops in instead of gradually coming in) and that's it, if you think the benefits I mentioned would warrant seeking the movie 4 pack versions of Movies 2 & 3 out, you'd probably be better off just getting them individually in addition to movie 1 over buying the whole box and save your money.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:01 am

superrayman3 wrote:The only benefits that the movie 4 pack has over the 3 pack is the 5.1 audio for Movie 2 (the movie 3 pack version isn't a true 5.1mix and also has an audio issue somewhere)
From a quick listen it doesn't sound like movie 2's mix has been corrected at all. The 4 Pack does add English 5.1 audio for movies 3 & 4 though. Movie 3's video is arguably better (less compression, progressive scan, no blended frames from PAL conversion) and Movie 4 is a pretty substantial improvement (evidently being a fresh film scan without the analogue multi-generational tape look of the old disc). Unfortunately the Japanese audio in the 4-pack is awful for movie 3 and noticeably more muffled for movie 4. And you'd technically be paying actual money for an unwatchable version of Movie 2.

Fui's handling of the movies really pisses me off, because at least with the Orange Bricks and BDs they was a motive behind making the video look like crap. With the 12FPS Movie 2 and substantially worse JP audio on both DB and the DBZ "remastered" Movie packs there is no reason. I guess they just didn't have a clue what they were doing. I would actually be surprised if anyone at Funimation watched the 4-pack's disc 2 before it went out, because if you're job is QCing a DVD and you don't notice 12FPS video, then what will you notice?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Akira wrote:Keep the Movie 2 from the 3-pack, as the 4-pack version is riddled with frame rate slowdown. You might just be better off buying movie 1 by itself, as the 4 pack is only worthwhile for movie 3 and the Path to Power Special. The movie 2 from the 3-pack is unfortunately still the best version of that movie available. I have both, and had already purchased the uncut movie 1 by itself. I was disappointed with the 4-pack quite a bit. (as an updated movie 2 was my main reason for buying, and it was nearly unwatchable.)
It really shows how little care goes into the original DB. Z's movies and specials (even GT's special) got remastered yet they couldn't remaster DB's ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
Akira wrote:Keep the Movie 2 from the 3-pack, as the 4-pack version is riddled with frame rate slowdown. You might just be better off buying movie 1 by itself, as the 4 pack is only worthwhile for movie 3 and the Path to Power Special. The movie 2 from the 3-pack is unfortunately still the best version of that movie available. I have both, and had already purchased the uncut movie 1 by itself. I was disappointed with the 4-pack quite a bit. (as an updated movie 2 was my main reason for buying, and it was nearly unwatchable.)
It really shows how little care goes into the original DB. Z's movies and specials (even GT's special) got remastered yet they couldn't remaster DB's ?
They got a similar remastering that the Z movies got but never got a Blu-ray release. They are only available for online viewing
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:They got a similar remastering that the Z movies got but never got a Blu-ray release. They are only available for online viewing
The only one that got remastered was m1, the others and especially 2 didn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm

sintzu wrote:The only one that got remastered was m1, the others and especially 2 didn't.
I see I just assumed they did the rest.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: