Romanized Spellings on Japanese Merchandise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Re: Romanized Spellings on Japanese Merchandise

Post by Puto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm

I meant, as far as I know, 烏龍 is not "Woolong" under any standard Chinese romanisation method. It's Wulong in Pinyin and Wulung in Wade-Giles.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Puto wrote:I meant, as far as I know, 烏龍 is not "Woolong" under any standard Chinese romanisation method. It's Wulong in Pinyin and Wulung in Wade-Giles.
Lol. The Wū in Wūlóng (Pinyin) can be transliterated into Woo. ウーロン can be transliterated as Woolong as well as Oolong. Woolong is valid.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 pm

It's valid as a non-standard Latinization. Like "Gokū" as "Gokuh", and "Kaiō" as "Kaioh".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:35 pm

I will say that I don't know what the difference is between "Wūlong" and "Woolong" in terms of pronunciation. So "Woolong" should be just as "valid" as "Wūlong" in this situation.

I suppose that "Wūlong" or "Woolong" are just as valid as "Oolong," but it still sounds like "Oolong," so to save the silent "w," I don't think many would opt for the "Wūlong" or "Woolong" spellings. Thus, since "oolong" tea is a real thing, his name was made into "Oolong." But hey, you can throw the "w" in there if you'd like just as long as it doesn't cause one to think that it's actually pronounced like it's written.

http://ce.linedict.com/dict.html#/cnen/ ... ?source=zh

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:58 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I will say that I don't know what the difference is between "Wūlong" and "Woolong" in terms of pronunciation. So "Woolong" should be just as "valid" as "Wūlong" in this situation.

I suppose that "Wūlong" or "Woolong" are just as valid as "Oolong," but it still sounds like "Oolong," so to save the silent "w," I don't think many would opt for the "Wūlong" or "Woolong" spellings. Thus, since "oolong" tea is a real thing, his name was made into "Oolong." But hey, you can throw the "w" in there if you'd like just as long as it doesn't cause one to think that it's actually pronounced like it's written.

There isn’t any difference in pronunciation between Woolong and Wuulong. I just use Woolong because it’s consistently used in Japanese material.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:46 am

Meshack wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:I will say that I don't know what the difference is between "Wūlong" and "Woolong" in terms of pronunciation. So "Woolong" should be just as "valid" as "Wūlong" in this situation.

There isn’t any difference in pronunciation between Woolong and Wuulong. I just use Woolong because it’s consistently used in Japanese material.
No, I was actually agreeing with you that there's no difference and you can go with whichever you'd like.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 pm

I was actually agreeing with YOU!

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm

Does anyone even know where the "Oolong" spelling originally comes from? The bit of research I've tried to do on the subject seems to suggest that it's a similar situation to "Yum Cha", where it seems to be a phonetic spelling that just kind of caught on and became the default spelling for English speakers, despite it not seeming to fit any of the standard Chinese romanization systems.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am

Theophrastus wrote:Does anyone even know where the "Oolong" spelling originally comes from? The bit of research I've tried to do on the subject seems to suggest that it's a similar situation to "Yum Cha", where it seems to be a phonetic spelling that just kind of caught on and became the default spelling for English speakers, despite it not seeming to fit any of the standard Chinese romanization systems.
I believe that’s it. It’s similar to the Yum cha situation.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am

Theophrastus wrote:Does anyone even know where the "Oolong" spelling originally comes from? The bit of research I've tried to do on the subject seems to suggest that it's a similar situation to "Yum Cha", where it seems to be a phonetic spelling that just kind of caught on and became the default spelling for English speakers, despite it not seeming to fit any of the standard Chinese romanization systems.
I believe that’s it. It’s similar to the Yum cha situation.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 am

Question. Does anyone on the forums have the same philosophy as me? Romsnized spellings in Japanese material over English localizations over fan spellings?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Meshack wrote:Question. Does anyone on the forums have the same philosophy as me? Romsnized spellings in Japanese material over English localizations over fan spellings?
It's whatever works for you. I take a different approach.

So do you call Dabura "Doubler" because it appears in the Ultimate Battle 22 game?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Meshack wrote:Question. Does anyone on the forums have the same philosophy as me? Romsnized spellings in Japanese material over English localizations over fan spellings?
It's whatever works for you. I take a different approach.

So do you call Dabura "Doubler" because it appears in the Ultimate Battle 22 game?
Doubler doesn’t appear in Ultimate Battle 22. Doubler is a fan transliteration of the Japanese. It wasn’t until sometime later that fans realized it was a pun on abracadabra. I’ve only seen the Darbura romanization in Japanese material and I use that. Da is elongated in Darbura’s kana spelling and for some reason, bu is kept, not having it Darbra. Probably because they’re not trying to make the pun apparent

Source: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/greatsongok ... arbura.jpg

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am

I could have sworn "Doubler" appeared in Ultimate Battle 22. Maybe I'm thinking of "Gokou" or something in Final Bout. I know some place had one of the name spellings that certain fans liked. I'm trying to remember where I saw "Doubler." I know that "Doubler" is used in the Bruce Faulconer soundtracks for reasons that escape me.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I could have sworn "Doubler" appeared in Ultimate Battle 22. Maybe I'm thinking of "Gokou" or something in Final Bout. I know some place had one of the name spellings that certain fans liked. I'm trying to remember where I saw "Doubler." I know that "Doubler" is used in the Bruce Faulconer soundtracks for reasons that escape me.
Purely conjecture here since I had nothing to do with the Faulconer "Doubler" track, but there was a point when we were ahead of Funimation in scoring the show and didn't actually know Funimation's dub names for things yet. I had gone ahead and researched on the internet what was going to happen so we could write themes ahead of time. This is why the "Demon Mist" theme is called what it is instead of Funimation's name "Blackwater Mist". It's funny, doing a search now, it seems like most of the references to "Demon Mist" are my track's title...and I don't see anything left of what was on the web back in 2000 or so about Garlic Jr's "Demon Mist".

Anyway, it's a wild guess, but it could be that Julius or Mike had looked ahead and saw "Doubler" somewhere?
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:25 pm

For Freeza’s brother, I’m aware his name is not a pun on cooler but some dialect in Japanese meaning “Let’s chow down” and it’s kūra.
Wait, what?? I've never heard this before. Is this from some new interview (or an old one recently dug up) or something? I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that Cooler/Coola/whatever's name comes from anything other than "cooler" before this post.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:16 am

Pantalones wrote:
For Freeza’s brother, I’m aware his name is not a pun on cooler but some dialect in Japanese meaning “Let’s chow down” and it’s kūra.
Wait, what?? I've never heard this before. Is this from some new interview (or an old one recently dug up) or something? I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that Cooler/Coola/whatever's name comes from anything other than "cooler" before this post.
The name was explained in Daizenshuu 6.

This is what it says:
You’d normally think that since his younger brother is Freeza (Freeza=freezer) that his name would be Coola (cooler), but it's not that simple. The truth is that it involves the Shizuoka dialect. The producer Mr. Morishita, who is from Shizuoka, was worried that 'Cooler' would be too direct, and remembered that in the dialect of his hometown one said 'meshi demo kuura' [sort of equivalent to 'Let's chow down'] when eating. Because of this, they used the Shizuoka dialect... and so they decided on the name Coora!! To think that it was so complicated a process... "
They didn’t want his name to be similar to a freezer which is a cooler so instead of having his name based on cooler which would be Coola, they decided to go with the dialect and later transliterate his name to not have it the name way as Coola but Coora.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I could have sworn "Doubler" appeared in Ultimate Battle 22. Maybe I'm thinking of "Gokou" or something in Final Bout. I know some place had one of the name spellings that certain fans liked. I'm trying to remember where I saw "Doubler." I know that "Doubler" is used in the Bruce Faulconer soundtracks for reasons that escape me.
Gokou was used for Ultimate Battle 22. Shueisha/Bandai/Toei probably used the spelling earlier than Ultimate Battle 22 since they tend to use spellings the author uses before coming with their own. The first time we see Gokuh’s name spelled by Toriyama is the cover for Volume 6. I would use Gokou but Toriyama never did (that we know of.) If he all of a sudden spelled it that way, so will I. I kinda like that spelling.

I think Doubler was only used in fan translations.