Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you still hate Dragonball GT?

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:07 am

GT had it's own charm, there were some good things in it.(like SSJ 4)
Even though I totally hated what became of Goten, Gohan,Trunks, Marron, Bra and Pan.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 am

ABED wrote:Someone brought up the reuse of the Holy water as rehashing the Garlic Jr. arc. To the best of my recollection, there wasn't a time limit when the effects of the Holy water wouldn't work after a certain point. But the reuse of the holy water isn't bad writing. It's good. Why come up with some other way of saving everyone from Baby's pods when the means had been set up years prior?
I actually like this bit in particular because it cements GT into the anime-only continuum.

Which wasn't at all necessary, but it's nice the show decided firmly where it stood. Toriyama's manga is Toriyama's manga; the anime continues this way.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am

Timetraveller wrote:You'd also have to attach Toriyama's name somewhere because "nothing not written by the original author can ever be good". Dragonball GT "Adapted from the outlines of Toriyama" then it would be accepted by the fans
Exactly! If Dragon Ball GT had been a Toriyama production then just about everyone who hates it would love it. The sentiment of "I hate Dragon Ball GT cause.. I hate it!" derives from how the majority think than how this or that person do.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Timetraveller wrote:You'd also have to attach Toriyama's name somewhere because "nothing not written by the original author can ever be good". Dragonball GT "Adapted from the outlines of Toriyama" then it would be accepted by the fans
Exactly! If Dragon Ball GT had been a Toriyama production then just about everyone who hates it would love it. The sentiment of "I hate Dragon Ball GT cause.. I hate it!" derives from how the majority think than how this or that person do.
Honestly yeah

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:
Honestly yeah
When GT aired I hated it and I didn't know Toriyama didn't write it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
When GT aired I hated it and I didn't know Toriyama didn't write it.
I disliked GT as a child too but I grew to enjoy it when I got older.

Doesnt change the fact that a lot of people hate GT solely "because Toriyama didnt write it." The same way people praise DBS as "Toriyama wrote it so its good"

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 pm

I hated it even more when I rewatched it older lol

I don't know man, who cares. For sure Super has tons of flaws but the anime still managed to entertain me and I find the manga really really good, even though I think most of the credit goes to Toyotarou.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Doesnt change the fact that a lot of people hate GT solely "because Toriyama didnt write it." The same way people praise DBS as "Toriyama wrote it so its good"
I do not see these sole facts paraded out as the conversation-ending points you make them out to be, and it's unfair to dismiss entire points of view based on such a boogeyman.

People all have nuanced feelings on things, and we encourage them to share these opinions with the emotions and experiences that lead to them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:15 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:I hated it even more when I rewatched it older lol

I don't know man, who cares. For sure Super has tons of flaws but the anime still managed to entertain me and I find the manga really really good, even though I think most of the credit goes to Toyotarou.
Well clearly you care to make the point lol.
But I'm the opposite. Despite all the animes problems (and theres a lot) I enjoy it more than the manga. Toyotaro's manga is just soo.... off. The omposition as a whole is just bad and something about his art is just off most of the time. For every problem Toyotaro fixes another one comes up

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: But I'm the opposite. Despite all the animes problems (and theres a lot) I enjoy it more than the manga. Toyotaro's manga is just soo.... off. The omposition as a whole is just bad and something about his art is just off most of the time. For every problem Toyotaro fixes another one comes up
How dare you! :P
We can argue sometime in another thread to not be off-topic lol

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote: I do not see these sole facts paraded out as the conversation-ending points you make them out to be, and it's unfair to dismiss entire points of view based on such a boogeyman.
People all have nuanced feelings on things, and we encourage them to share these opinions with the emotions and experiences that lead to them.
I'm not speaking facts or conversation ending points. That wasnt my intention, I'm sorry. Just from observations I've seen over the many years, many (not all) of the criticisms I've seen of GT come from "it wasnt written by Toriyama." Whichs begs the question if it was, would it still be hated even if everything stayed the same? Looking at Super and even the original manga, even with questionable choices, I've also seen people jump through rings to justify it also because "Toriyama is behind it" (one way or another.)

I only think pointing out the double standards would be important to note in the conversation.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I've hated Dragon Ball GT up until recently actually, tbh. (and that mainly stemmed from not liking it as a child, apart from SSJ4) In fact, I still think that the show has a ton of flaws... but after re-watching it, I find that it's not so bad and sometimes enjoyable. It's just those initial episodes that aren't that good.

I still don't consider it canon... but I think it's better than Dragon Ball Super at least.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

zebdennis

Post by zebdennis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

I kinda like GT, but I never thought it was anything great. Really liked the music, art style, SSJ4, villains, and I honestly didn't mind Pan. But, yeah, the abundance of plot holes, weird narrative decisions, and wasted characters kinda ruin it. That being said, I still prefer it to Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

A lot of the narrative choices wouldn't bother me as much if the fights were better. That change alone would make up for SO much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

ABED wrote:A lot of the narrative choices wouldn't bother me as much if the fights were better. That change alone would make up for SO much.
There are so many other issues such as Goku being a kid again and them trying to recapture the original DB. I do GT's ideas will get reworked into Super like how they based Kale off Broly as GT has really good ideas that shouldn't be wasted.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Goku being a kid wasn't a problem. I don't know what people's hangups are about it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 am

It’s not hate ,,it’s just that I tried to watch it 2-3 times and I always get tired , it doesn’t catch my eye .
I wish to be able to see it until the end but I just can’t , and it’s not about what you guys call canon or not ( I never used those cameras ) :D
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm

I will say the first dozen or so episodes of GT are a bit hard to get through... like really difficult. :lol:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:55 am

prince212 wrote:It’s not hate ,,it’s just that I tried to watch it 2-3 times and I always get tired , it doesn’t catch my eye .
I wish to be able to see it until the end but I just can’t , and it’s not about what you guys call canon or not ( I never used those cameras ) :D
Exactly, for me, it does what a dragon ball series should never do, and that’s bore me. I’ve never been able to finish it because of that.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
prince212 wrote:It’s not hate ,,it’s just that I tried to watch it 2-3 times and I always get tired , it doesn’t catch my eye .
Exactly, for me, it does what a dragon ball series should never do, and that’s bore me. I’ve never been able to finish it because of that.
Could you elaborate on what you think it does that no other dragonball series has ever done?